Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: what music should Patrick Chan skate to next year??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Muse, Knights of Cydonia
    almost like a dream, riding a horse to a mystical world...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    I listened to all your suggestions and like the Hero and Jupiter suggestions. As for the Kundun soundtrack - that is a very bad idea for the simple reason that is a politically sensitive choice for Chan to skate to due to the Dalai Lama connection. A large part of his fan base is in fact Chinese and it would be inappropriate for being associated in a political sensitive issue. Athletes should try to remain clear from political statements, even just the appearance of such connection, for their own good.
    Politics is part of art and art are usually derived from politics. To artificially separate them would be denying the existence of art in the sport and made the whole thing overly politically correct with the art superficial and bland with no where to go. If such statement is true, no Russian skaters are allowed to skate to Russian Music, No American skaters are allowed to skate to Gershwin etc.
    Last edited by os168; 04-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Custom Title
    In this case, though, I'd argue it would be wiser for Chan (who stated he wasn't aware that China had any human rights violations in an interview to PJ Kwong) to avoid this political issue.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Muse, Knights of Cydonia...
    I listened to it again and again, trying to envision a skating program. What I saw was Daisuke skating to it as his short program, and when he finished, the entire audience, enthused by his powerful and colorful performance that went perfectly with the music, burst into clapping in a prolonged standing ovation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    In this case, though, I'd argue it would be wiser for Chan (who stated he wasn't aware that China had any human rights violations in an interview to PJ Kwong) to avoid this political issue.
    It is sad to see the double standard applied here, so basically Chan despite his last name are 'wiser' to never skate anything that may refer to his ethnic root or one of his largest supporters (at least financially?), or is it more to do with the western media vendetta that has nothing to do with is being performed and acknowledged? Human violation happens everywhere not just in China (and certainly include USA and UK against the non existance WMD) and it should be condoned to the extreme, but we shouldn't muck up everything for the sake of a cause without acknowledging the whole.

Since when is Mozart anti semitic? Or Tchaikovsky Communist music?

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    I listened to it again and again, trying to envision a skating program. What I saw was Daisuke skating to it as his short program, and when he finished, the entire audience, enthused by his powerful and colorful performance that went perfectly with the music, burst into clapping in a prolonged standing ovation.
    Yeah Daisuke can do this and he would be amazing for it but maybe that's the reason he shouldn't do it. I am a big fan of see how skaters capable of reinvent themselves year after year such as Daisuke this year from the year before. I think it would be a better suited for Patrick, since he is the current king of figure skating and he already has this the sort of built in stature and the technical brilliance already. It is also something we rarely see him do, skate something current and right for his age. (I'd argue Take 5 is so 4 decades ago) He is a young man capable of pleasing beyond the grandparents/parents/skating connoisseur crowd, and you need something that can make him even bigger star, a pop/epic theme capable of sustain a year of repeats and reach out to new audiences as the head of men's figure skating.
    Last edited by os168; 04-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Custom Title
    "Vltava" from Bedřich Smetana Ma Vlast symphonic poem
    The first 1:30 seconds almost brought me to tears. The subtle sadness in that flowing flute rippling and swirling with complicated emotions.

Custom Title
    Love "Vltava" but I personally think Alissa would be great for it.

Custom Title
    os168, I don't understand. What double standard do you think I'm applying?

Custom Title
    os168, I don't understand. What double standard do you think I'm applying?
    You misunderstood me. I am referring to the idea Patrick shouldn't skate to Kundun, because it might be politically sensitive being of Chinese origin. I think he should welcome to skate to any music, leave the politics to the politicians.

The movie Kundum makes the Chinese government out to be merciless invaders and destroyers of Tibetan life. If Patrick skated to the soundtrack he would have to be prepared to field questions about the issue.

(OT. By the way, my sister met the Dalai Lama in Nepal shortly after the end of the movie (I mean, in real life, at that point in the Dalai Lama's journey), and served as an English tutor to the children of the priests in his retinue.)

Custom Title
    I like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHuTxNIpdeM. It's from "The Island" I am Lincoln

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The movie Kundum makes the Chinese government out to be merciless invaders and destroyers of Tibetan life. If Patrick skated to the soundtrack he would have to be prepared to field questions about the issue.

(OT. By the way, my sister met the Dalai Lama in Nepal shortly after the end of the movie (I mean, in real life, at that point in the Dalai Lama's journey), and served as an English tutor to the children of the priests in his retinue.)
    Well in that case he should be readying to respond to any question regarding to the choice of the music like any skater who'd chose this piece of music. Afterall, part of choosing the music involves researching the theme and the story behind it and be responsible about the material. He can get an education out of it and develop his own opinion, as will his audiences.

Dalai lama and the ethos of Buddhism preaches forgiveness and compassion, and rise oneself above havoc, human tragedy or tyranny. What better way to make meaningful art by tackle something worth while?
    Last edited by os168; 04-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Another great composer for full-blooded music is Sibelius. Here is the Nocturne from his King Christian II suite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eAsOZtkIk
    I could not get rid of the image of Alissa Czisny from my head when I listened to Sibelius' music.
    How about this one, also composed by Tan Dun, for the Short Program? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BW6pyY8#t=117s
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 04-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Since people were booing him, it shows that he's not connecting with the crowd. I don't think he should do something artsy and obscure, but should try something very crowd-pleasing, with music that everyone likes. (Which he's done with Take 5 and Phantom). You can't go wrong with Carmen

Also, I suggest either a vocal-less medley of someone who recently died--say Whitney Houston medley-- or the backing music to a very popular movie.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Since he's pretty good with Jazz shorts, I'd like him to tackle "The Artist" soundtrack.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast