what music should Patrick Chan skate to next year?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

what music should Patrick Chan skate to next year??

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Love "Vltava" but I personally think Alissa would be great for it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
os168, I don't understand. What double standard do you think I'm applying?

You misunderstood me. I am referring to the idea Patrick shouldn't skate to Kundun, because it might be politically sensitive being of Chinese origin. I think he should welcome to skate to any music, leave the politics to the politicians.

The movie Kundum makes the Chinese government out to be merciless invaders and destroyers of Tibetan life. If Patrick skated to the soundtrack he would have to be prepared to field questions about the issue.

(OT. By the way, my sister met the Dalai Lama in Nepal shortly after the end of the movie (I mean, in real life, at that point in the Dalai Lama's journey), and served as an English tutor to the children of the priests in his retinue.)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The movie Kundum makes the Chinese government out to be merciless invaders and destroyers of Tibetan life. If Patrick skated to the soundtrack he would have to be prepared to field questions about the issue.

(OT. By the way, my sister met the Dalai Lama in Nepal shortly after the end of the movie (I mean, in real life, at that point in the Dalai Lama's journey), and served as an English tutor to the children of the priests in his retinue.)

Well in that case he should be readying to respond to any question regarding to the choice of the music like any skater who'd chose this piece of music. Afterall, part of choosing the music involves researching the theme and the story behind it and be responsible about the material. He can get an education out of it and develop his own opinion, as will his audiences.

Dalai lama and the ethos of Buddhism preaches forgiveness and compassion, and rise oneself above havoc, human tragedy or tyranny. What better way to make meaningful art by tackle something worth while?

Last edited:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Another great composer for full-blooded music is Sibelius. Here is the Nocturne from his King Christian II suite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eAsOZtkIk
I could not get rid of the image of Alissa Czisny from my head when I listened to Sibelius' music.
How about this one, also composed by Tan Dun, for the Short Program? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3QW5BW6pyY8#t=117s :biggrin:

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Since people were booing him, it shows that he's not connecting with the crowd. I don't think he should do something artsy and obscure, but should try something very crowd-pleasing, with music that everyone likes. (Which he's done with Take 5 and Phantom). You can't go wrong with Carmen :)

Also, I suggest either a vocal-less medley of someone who recently died--say Whitney Houston medley-- or the backing music to a very popular movie.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Since he's pretty good with Jazz shorts, I'd like him to tackle "The Artist" soundtrack.

SGrand

Final Flight
Some suggestions

Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick"
"Vltava" from Bedřich Smetana Ma Vlast symphonic poem
Tan Dun compositions for the movie Hero
Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst
"Escape to India" from the Kundun soundtrack, by (interestingly enough) Phillip Glass

If he didn't use Moby Dick for competition, it would make for a pretty sick gala program for him! We did a tap routine to it years and years ago at a workshop and it was the coolest thing, it's SO not a tap song...but then it easily is. I can just see his feet going crazy with this.

SGrand

Final Flight
Muse, Knights of Cydonia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkU5RPPezyE

Skipped to 30 seconds on. Obviously the music need to be edited/recorded over to cut out any vocals, but the sound has an haunting, edgy, epic quality all over it. Great pacing, maintaining the rhythm and tension Patrick lacks in his other program. He need to win over the audience with his technical marvel while breaking their heart playing the fool king/lord/knight, braving doom with melancholy likely leading to a tragic but glorious ending waltzed in a very dark fairy tale/fantasy. In the right hands, this would make a fantastic competition program that can also sell out shows.

A more lighter version have been recorded by others such as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ln6VksuYhA

Really love this 2nd version, it gets very powerful.

ciocio

On the Ice
I want to see a funny program :biggrin:, not some depressing stuff to depressing music. :unsure:
A funny program and his rolling eyes will bring him a lot of 10s in PCS.
:thumbsup: Chantastic!

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I was going to save this for the inevitable "What should Patrick Chan skate to at the Olympics?" thread, but here it is:

Short Program: Cohen's Scherzo No. 7 - Bioshock Soundtrack (2:55, so it doesn't need to be edited much)
Long Program: Time - Hans Zimmer - Inception Soundtrack (4:36, so also doesn't need much editing)

russell30

Final Flight
Something different we hope..... but from Nicol probably not I got a feeling:

SP Summertime
LP Schereazade (again)
:rofl:

I've always wondered how it would be like when a male skater skates to Bells of Moscow. And now I think he would be able to do that, conveying its depth.