Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: what music should Patrick Chan skate to next year??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Suggestion to Patrick, if you really want to go after Chinese deep pockets for financial support and security, consider this piece of music as one of your next year's Ex in China...(Or see if you can find a different arrangement, since nothing can touch the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFm7AWP9n4)
    That's a Taiwanese song. I'm not sure if it would be as politically sensitive as Tibetan....

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    I was going to save this for the inevitable "What should Patrick Chan skate to at the Olympics?" thread, but here it is: Short Program: Cohen's Scherzo No. 7. Long Program: Inception Soundtrack.
    Good music choice for skating.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 04-24-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    That's a Taiwanese song. I'm not sure if it would be as politically sensitive as Tibetan....
    OT... You are kidding right? This is one of the most beloved Chinese Mandarin love song of all time covered by just about every body including Leslie Cheung, David Tao and used in many Chinese movies including a big hit in Japan and Korea. Heck it is even covered non Chinese youtubers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYpGs8WJkyY

In any case it would be good if Patrick could start think crowd pleasers and big block buster programs with a bit more drama and sentimentality, he deserve better accolades and financial rewards than he does now. I am excited to see his progress on the road leading to Sochi
    Last edited by os168; 04-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    I was going to save this for the inevitable "What should Patrick Chan skate to at the Olympics?" thread, but here it is:

Short Program: Cohen's Scherzo No. 7 - Bioshock Soundtrack (2:55, so it doesn't need to be edited much)
    Long Program: Time - Hans Zimmer - Inception Soundtrack (4:36, so also doesn't need much editing)
    I've love to see Patrick dressed as a splicer. For that matter, he would look stylish in the Free Skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I've always wondered how it would be like when a male skater skates to Bells of Moscow. And now I think he would be able to do that, conveying its depth.
    Bells of Moscow or prelude in C was already achieved by Jeff Buttle SP in 2005 and you know with Jeff that the artistry is good, does the music with some credit here. Not as powerful rendition as Mao's but a more softer piano approach.

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSbTaxPgexA

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    OT... You are kidding right?
    No, I wasn't. The music was composed by a Taiwanese, the lyrics were written by a Taiwanese, and it was sung by a Taiwanese (Singer: Teresa Teng 鄧麗君). It was BANNED in Mainland China during the Cultural Revolution. I guess Chinese and Taiwanese are getting along very well these days and it won't be a problem, right?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    How would Patrick Chan look skating to "Butterfly Lovers" Violin Concerto?

Custom Title
    No, I wasn't. The music was composed by a Taiwanese, the lyrics were written by a Taiwanese, and it was sung by a Taiwanese (Singer: Teresa Teng 鄧麗君). It was BANNED in Mainland China during the Cultural Revolution. I guess Chinese and Taiwanese are getting along very well these days and it won't be a problem, right?
    Cultural revolution? That is so 40 years ago. Majority of the western classical Bourgeoisie music are also banned during that period too, so what does that says about all the classical music now readily performed by Chinese skaters all over the world?

For the record Teresa Teng was probably banned once upon a time because she actually 'rejected' an invitation from China to go to perform in China because the political scene at the time where Taiwan still consider themselves as the legitimate government of China that believes freedom for China. Yet her music are played everywhere away from the prying eyes of public officials in underground, clubs, people's homes. This is what I mean art and music can be used politically when in actual it could be the very thing that break through the political bs and vendetta, a bit like Rockin Roll in the 60s. Great music has no boarders and if you really ask anyone in modern day China about Teresa Deng, they'd likely to have a very different opinion than you.

The current communist party of China even invited her again to tour China in the 90s unfortunately she died before this materializes.
    Last edited by os168; 04-24-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    My evil twin is posting today

If Patrick really has a sense of humor he will skate to this song, perhaps for the exhibition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGqb...eature=related
    I'll see your Wipeout and raise you a Louie Louie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    How would Patrick Chan look skating to "Butterfly Lovers" Violin Concerto?
    It is a truly beautiful music! I'm afraid it's too lyrical which would not stand well with complicated transitions in competitions. Besides, I don't like Lu Chen's LP on that. It could be a great ex. number for Patrick though. I'm sure with Patrick's abilities, he could fully express the beauty of that music.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Rinkside
    If Chan wants to skate to something really funny, I suggest the theme of the game "angry birds" on iphone, maybe as an ex program.Here is the version performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZSqdmwggeo

Custom Title
    One thing about Chan, Bluebonnet, is that most of his "simple" transitions are still quite complex. In effect, the challenge would be to find those complex transitions and make them look simple.

Custom Title
    Interesting. I vaguely recall hearing that during the Cultural Revolution, fewer than half a dozen orchestral pieces were actually allowed (I guess the rest of the repertoire was made up of patriotic songs and so on). Western music was completely forbidden. Two of the permitted orchestral pieces were "The White-Haired Girl," which I've never heard, and "The Yellow River Concerto," which I heard just once years ago and thought was attractive but didn't retain in my memory. Then at the beginning of Michelle Kwan's senior career, she skated to something that made me perk up my ears. It had the flavor of Chinese orchestral music I'd heard, and I thought, "I bet that's from 'The Yellow River Concerto."" And indeed it was! That was when I started admiring Lori Nichol as a music searcher. I'm not sure it would be right for Patrick; it's got a sweet quality to it that might undercut what Patrick is trying to do with all those quads.

I am old enough to remember when Isaac Stern first brought Western classical music back to China. Obviously other banned music made its way there as well.

I'm wondering whether there's anything in Beethoven that he could use. For example, the Emperor Concerto has a lot of themes that have great emotion and rhythm.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Interesting. I vaguely recall hearing that during the Cultural Revolution, fewer than half a dozen orchestral pieces were actually allowed (I guess the rest of the repertoire was made up of patriotic songs and so on). Western music was completely forbidden. Two of the permitted orchestral pieces were "The White-Haired Girl," which I've never heard, and "The Yellow River Concerto," which I heard just once years ago and thought was attractive but didn't retain in my memory. Then at the beginning of Michelle Kwan's senior career, she skated to something that made me perk up my ears. It had the flavor of Chinese orchestral music I'd heard, and I thought, "I bet that's from 'The Yellow River Concerto."" And indeed it was! That was when I started admiring Lori Nichol as a music searcher. I'm not sure it would be right for Patrick; it's got a sweet quality to it that might undercut what Patrick is trying to do with all those quads.
    I'm amazed at your knowledge, Olympia!

The Yellow River Concerto is pretty epic. Part 1.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 04-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Oh by the way I forgot to say, Artistry on Ice skating show actually going to start in Taipei / Taiwan on June 9th before coming to Beijing second stop and then Shenzhen (which is like 90% Taiwan investment money i/e where Foxconn make all the iphones, ipads etc) then finally Shanghai final stop.

So for that reason, I don't think it would be any problem at all these days

Custom Title
    The cultural Revolution was in 60s. The tension between mainland of China and Taiwan on the cultural level has gone a few decades ago. Some TV shows and songs made in Taiwan were very popular and became a hit on the mainland even in 1980s.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast