Winners in Men's, Lady's, and Dance at this competition were the real World Champions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Winners in Men's, Lady's, and Dance at this competition were the real World Champions

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Men's and dance? Absolutely. Good judging would have had 1st and 2nd reversed at worlds for both those events.

The women's result is less clear.

mikeko666

Final Flight
^^ Although her pcs should be much closer to Carolina's (with the exception of skating skills, I guess). I have no idea why those judges never seem to really love Akiko's choreography and interpretation. I think she's brilliant.

Reason #1: PCS is mostly about reputations. It was Suzuki's only second trip to Worlds.
Reason #2: She has little to no support from JSF. Look at Asada's PCS in FS, which was higher than Suzuki's.

Your second point is something I don't understand. How does the support of the Japanese Federation affect the judges' marks? (I'm not arguing, I'm asking.) If Akiko does a great job (which she clearly did this year), wouldn't the judges give her higher marks than other skaters? Even Mao, who has just not had a good year? (And I speak as a Mao fan.)

mikeko666

Final Flight
Your second point is something I don't understand. How does the support of the Japanese Federation affect the judges' marks? (I'm not arguing, I'm asking.) If Akiko does a great job (which she clearly did this year), wouldn't the judges give her higher marks than other skaters? Even Mao, who has just not had a good year? (And I speak as a Mao fan.)

Now I don't understand your question. Lobbying is part of the game we call figure skating.

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Well, Tim, you asked for my opinion. Don't poke fun of other people's opinions if you're gonna ask for theirs.

When it comes to him, the only opinion that matters is his own, regardless of what anyone else thinks. ;)

How can someone actually choose between D/W & V/M? They are both so strong at what they are doing, and both teams have individual strengths, that it can really go either way. Takahashi doesn't stand a chance against Chan, because technically Chan is far better. Geez, Takahashi even lost the lp to Hanyu at worlds, so there really is no dispute there as to who the real champion is, which is Chan. At WTT, Takahashi was the best though, but that mainly comes from the fact that Chan faltered. Suzuki over Kostner in Nice? NO WAY! :laugh:

To me it didn't seem like the world champions were as motivated to do well here, while the winners here clearly were motivated. :think:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The idea of "whoever wins that night is the rightful winner that night" is a pile of poo.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
No. Each competition is a snapshot in time, and whoever wins that night is the rightful winner that night. The real world champions won in Nice. The world team champions won in Tokyo.

Every skater, whether they are world champions or skating in their first ISI recreational competition start anew with each competition. If you win, you hold that title forever.

ITA:thumbsup:
And the significance of these two competitions ( the world championships and the WTT) is totally different.
We cannot, or should not compare the results ot these competitions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't see any "should not" about it. This is a fan board.

Part of their purpose in life is to question the judging.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The few, the proud ;)

Somebody's gotta do it.

Always prepared, with a snark in one pocket and a calculator in the other.