Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Programs of 2011-2012

Custom Title
    For me, the best program of the season was :

Ksenia Makarova SP "Maria & Violins string" (masterpiece)

Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post

that was such a BEAUTIFUL program! a huge contrast from marilyn monroe.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post

Agreed!

I think the other program (Diamonds) could've been pretty good, if they had 1. cut out the 20th Century Fox fanfare 2. Ksenia being far far sassier than she was.

Custom Title
    I had a bit of spare time, so I tallied up all the responses in this thread.

According to the members of Goldenskate, the best overall program of the year across all disciplines is.....(drumroll): Daisuke Takahashi, Blues for Klook LP. (16 votes)

The best men's program not by someone named Daisuke Takahashi: Jeremy Abbott, Exogenesis: Symphony No. 3 LP (14 votes)

The best ladies program: Ashley Wagner, Black Swan LP (14 votes)

The best ice dance program: Meryl Davis/Charlie White, Die Fledermaus FD (12 votes)

The best pairs program: Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, Pina LP (8 votes)

The best exhibition program overall: Mao Asada, Jupiter (4 votes)

The worst program overall: Ksenia Makarova, Marilyn Monroe LP (11 votes)

I am very glad to see that we here at Goldenskate have exquisite discernment in our choice of programs

*note: since this is a best program poll, I did not count the programs explicitly mentioned as 'honourable mentions'

Custom Title
    Thanks for your work, Evangeline!

We do have pretty good taste, don't we? And we seem to have had a pretty good season after all, with some wonderful music choices and executions thereof. Serious Business, I especially love your descriptions, which will help me watch as I go back and review the programs. Your phrase for Adele, "that funereal siren," is a classic!
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-28-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Custom Title
    Evangeline, do you have the total number of short programs vs long programs voted for?

Custom Title
    Hasn't the question been asked in the Voting Booth? So I went and checked it out: The programs that currently receive the most votes for the favorite men's programs of 2011-2012 are: Takahashi SP In the Garden of Souls, tied with Yuzuru Hanyu LP Kissing You.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 04-28-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Evangeline, do you have the total number of short programs vs long programs voted for?
    The majority of the programs nominated/voted for tended to be long programs, but I do have the totals for short programs as well.

The best overall short program across all disciplines was a tie between: Daisuke Takahashi, In the Garden of Souls SP and Carolina Kostner, Shostakovich SP (12 votes each)

The best pairs short program was a tie between: Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran, Imagine SP and Mary Beth Marley/Rockne Brubaker, Singing in the Rain SP (2 votes each)

The best ice dance short dance was: Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir, Hip hip chin chin/Temptation/Mujer Latina SD (3 votes)

The worst overall short program was a three-way tie between: Gracie Gold, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy SP, Florent Amodio, Tears of the Sun SP, and Alena Leonova, Pirates of the Caribbean SP (3 votes each)

Custom Title
    Best:
    Takahashi LP
    Tomas Verner LP
    Amodio LP (I'm the only one but I like it.)
    DW FD
    VM SD
    WP FD
    Tuktamesheva LP
    PT SP

Worst

PB FD
    Leonova SP (If I have to vote, this is my overall worst program. I want to laugh every time I see it. )
    Sotnikova FS
    Voronov FS
    Asada SP
    Gold SP
    Overall most ladies' programs this year were eyesores.

Best--
    Daisuke Takahashi SP and FS (Both were amazing, but I may like 'Blues for Klook' a little better)
    Jeremy Abbott SP (Apparently a lot of people loved his FS, which was okay, not my favorite. I loved his SP)
    Yuzuru Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet FS (When he skated it well like at Worlds, it gave me chills!)
    Brian Joubert's SP
    Tatiana and Maxim's FS
    Mao Asada's Liebestraum FS
    Ashley Wagner's Black Swan FS
    Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje's FD
    Meryl Davis and Charlie White's FD

Worst--
    Artur Gachinski's 'Interview with the Vampire' FS...I don't know, it just didn't work for me. He doesn't make a very good vampire, I guess.
    And I have to agree with Ksenia's FS, which is a shame because I like the whole Marilyn Monroe idea and I think it could have been really good! Parts of it were really cute, but she needed to skate it with more attitude. The other thing was just the edit of the music (I think we all could have done without the theme to 20th Century Fox).
    Can't think of anything else that was really bad...

I actually liked both of Alena Leonova's programs, but they weren't good enough to put under 'best' for me. The Pirates thing was cool and clever, and I liked the music of the FS, the choreography just wasn't great. Also, not exactly a 'best program', but Tomas Verner skating to 'Sexy and I Know It' was pretty great LOL.

skating philosopher
    Oh Gracie has so many "worst SP" votes. In a way it's a backhanded complement because if she didn't do as well as she did this year not as many people would have watched it in the first place.

But I guess it's a reminder that she will have to up her game for seniors. (Though I doubt she is reading these boards...)

Custom Title
    Oooh, this sounds fun...

Dance:

Best: Weaver/Poje's FD (masterpiece), Davis/White's FD (though I'm not a fan of their execution), Virtue/Moir FD (not their best but oh so charming), Virtue/Moir's SD (grew on me), Weaver/Poje's SD (Rawr.)

Worst: Ralph/Hill's SD (whoever thinks Harlem Nocturne is Latin really needs to brush up on their musical knowledge), Bobrova/Soloviev's SD, Ilynikh/Katsalapov's FD (I realize it wasn't that bad, but I think it was a sin to give such heavy music to such young, beautiful skaters)

Pairs:

Best: Savchenko/Szolkowy's FS (gorgeous), Moore-Towers/Moscovitch's FS (too bad no one got to see it), Tanakshi/Tran SP (so gorgeous)

Worst: Voloshozar/Trankov SP (what were they thinking?), Denney/Coughlin FS (yawn)

Custom Title
    Thanks evangeline. My favourites (one each category/discipline)

Men's SP: Daisuke Takahashi
    Men's LP: Patrick Chan

Women's SP: Akiko Suzuki
    Women's LP: Viktoria Helgelsson

Pair's SP: Stolbova/Klimov
    Pair's LP: Savchenko/Szolkowy

Dance SD: Cappellini/Lanotte
    Dance FD: Virtue/Moir

Custom Title
    I might be a bit late for the bus, but let me vote for this one, too!

<BEST>
    -Mens SP: Jeremy Abbott and Daisuke Takahashi -> can't decide between the two...
    -Mens LP: Jeremy Abbott
    ->for Daisuke's LP, while he does the justice for Blues for Klook like no one else can, the music simply is not my cup of tea...
    -Best Men SP+LP combined: Jeremy Abbott, hands down! (sorry, Dai)

-Ladies SP: Carolina Kostner and Akiko Suzuki
    -Ladies LP: Akiko Suzuki and Ashley Wagner
    -Best Ladies SP+LP combined: Akiko Suzuki and Ashley Wagner!!

-Pairs SP: Takahashi/Tran
    -Pairs LP: Savchenko/Szolkowy
    -Best Pairs SP+LP combined: Takahashi/Tran!

-Dance SD: Weaver/Poje and Pechalat/Bourzat
    ->no other couples, even Virtue/Moir or Davis/White, sorry, had interesting SD this season for me...
    -Dance FD: Davis/White and Weaver/Poje -> masterpiece!
    -Dance SD+FD combined: Weaver/Poje!!!

Custom Title
    <WORST>
    -Mens SP: Alexander Majorov >>> and Patrick Chan
    -> my ears just bleed hearing Majorov's Austin Powers two years in a row...actually his SP won the "deedee1's Worst Program of 2010-11" and again 2011-12 season...congratulations...
    As for Take Five, while I loved and enjoyed Patrick SP so much last season, I simply don't like when top skaters carry over their programs, except being absent the whole season due to injuries/sickness. I hope he will get 2 brand new programs next season!
    -Mens LP: Richard Dornbush ->Ricky is a much better, talented, skater than this program...

-Ladies SP: Alena Leonova
    -> simply because it was recycled one by Nikolai, I loved her SP at the Worlds, though...
    -Ladies LP: Ksenia Makarova and Alissa Czisny
    -> Ksenia's Monroe, I agree with the others. For Alissa's LP, the first part of Valse Triste is too depressing for me...when the music starts, I always fear Alissa is not gonna land any jumps

-Pairs LP: Denny/Coughlin -> electric guitar for Nessun Dorma???

-Dance SD: Ilinykh/Katsalapov and Bobrova/Soloviev
    -> everytime I see them skate, I wonder 'why their costumes have to be like that for this year's SD theme???'...
    -Dance FD: Ilinykh/Katsalapov
    ->same as Ricky. They are simply much much better, talented skaters than their boring FD...did you hear me, Nikolai?
    Last edited by deedee1; 04-30-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast