Best and Worst Outfits of the past season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best and Worst Outfits of the past season

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I really liked Mao Asada's Scheherazade pants in the beginning of the season. Why she changed it for the weird turquoise dress half way through? It was perfect. *sigh*

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Stephanie Miller is Meryl and Charlie's costume designer.

http://www.theticker.tc/story/costume-designer-to-the-stars-on-ice

Here's an article about Stephanie

Color of fabric against the skater’s skin tone is the first thing we always look at,”says Miller. “Then I listen to the music and consider what the skater’s likes and dislikes are.”

Miller should know what Davis, 25, likes – and looks good in – by now.

“Meryl was eight years old when we first started sewing her freestyle dresses and then for her and Charlie when they became a team shortly after that.”

Miller designs and does the “stoning” – the crystals, beads and other sparkly embellishments – for the costumes, and her business partner Luanne Williams does all the sewing from her home in Grass Lake, near Jackson.

“Luanne can sew anything I draw up,” says Miller of their 17-year working relationship. “She is amazing.”

Miller herself was a synchronized skater for 17 years and also did ice dancing – she designed all her own costumes back then. Her eye for design, however, caught the envy of many fellow skaters and soon her professional designing career was underway.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dancing fielded some disasters this season.
Without doubt, Gorshkova / Butikov had some of the worst costumes ever.
Some of Bobrova's FD costumes were awful as well.
The Chinese also have a knack for some bad color combinations for their ice dancers.

Of the ladies, Tuktamysheva's green costume worn in the GPF was much too bare and very inappropriate for a 14-year-old. She looked like she was auditioning for a strip routine in Las Vegas.

The Russians like to dress their men in what looks like toilet paper streamers, regardless of the music or the theme.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not to mention Team France literally wound in toilet paper in the KnC.

Brian Joubert was particularly good.

evangeline

Record Breaker
IMO Amodio wins worst outfit for men with the sweatpants with green string at the wait, a tiger stripe top, and green vest for the LP that he wore on the GP. Thank goodness he replaced it for Worlds and WTT!

Seconded. Sartorial eyesore of the season across all disciplines for me.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Perhaps it's blind fandom, but I thought Pharaoh and his Mummy were adorable in their get-ups.

Best: Meryl's FD dress

Worst: I's (of I/K) black table cloth...er short dance dress

Victura

On the Ice
I liked Alissa's original FS dress, the dark blue one that seemed to suit the tone of the program better anyway. Anyone know why she changed it? The change in dress seems to also have coincided with the change in her performances this season...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Best
Carolina's SP
Meryl's FD dress
Meryl's tan colored SD dress (Nationals and WTT)
Akiko's FS blue dress with the beaded color (Worlds and WTT)
Hanyu's FS costume -- very Romeo like. :)
Jeremy's fun swing dance theme costume in the SP.
Gracie's FS dress (she said she was inspired by Yuna's red dress from 2009!)
Mao's FS dress

Worst
Ksenia's FS dress — pepto bismol pink ICK! The white dress she wore at Worlds was a great improvement!
Mirai's FS dress — Probably influenced by my dislike of the program, but I believe the dress was not that flattering on her, all the extra layers made her look bigger than she actually is.
Maia Shibutani's purple SD dresses both the one she wore at Finlandia and and the one she world at Worlds. Made her look took much like a junior drum majorette (which is terrible if you're trying to do Latin). She is SOOOO pretty and mature for her age, that it's frustrating the dresses did not do her any favors. Though the Finlandia dress at nationals (with the alterations) was OK.
Ekateria Bobrova's witchy dresses, particularly the Halloween colored one.
Adelina's red thing in the SP.
Elizaveta's green number in the SP. Her original red dress was better

STARushka

Rinkside
Worst

Gorshkova/Butikov - as usual
Bobrova FD dress and orange SD dress
Alissa's transparent dress
Flo's outfit for SP

Best for me are VM and DW FD outfits ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ice dancing fielded some disasters this season.
Without doubt, Gorshkova / Butikov had some of the worst costumes ever.
Some of Bobrova's FD costumes were awful as well.
The Chinese also have a knack for some bad color combinations for their ice dancers.

Of the ladies, Tuktamysheva's green costume worn in the GPF was much too bare and very inappropriate for a 14-year-old. She looked like she was auditioning for a strip routine in Las Vegas.

The Russians like to dress their men in what looks like toilet paper streamers, regardless of the music or the theme.

Gorshkova and Butikov always make.. INTERESTING *cough* costume choices.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
.. most are mentioned but i'm going to add caroline and mirai's LP dresses to the worst. Caroline's dress makes her look WAY fatter than she is (because she's actually not fat. she's athletic.) and mirai's make her look top heavy...

and if we remove the lacy cape off of takahashi's sp outfit, then it'll be more acceptable.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Best:

Ashley's red SP dress
Akiko Suzuki FS (the one from GPF, the pink one. It was gorgeous! I liked her blue one at Worlds, too, but that pink one was my favorite!)
Rachael Flatt's FS
Alissa's SP
Daisuke's FS
Jeremy Abbott's SP
Christina Gao's FS (the red and black one, it looked so pretty on her)
Elene Gedevanishvili's FS (the pink and white one at Worlds. I really liked it, just not sure how it went with Phantom of the Opera, but oh well.)
Both of Mao Asada's beautiful purple FS dresses
Viktoria Helgesson's FS
Meryl's FD
Yuzuru's SP

Worst:

Alissa's FS (The white one, I mean. Ugh, what was she thinking. I thought her dark blue/purple one at the beginning of the season was so pretty; she shouldn't have changed.)
Carolina's FS (I know some people liked it and thought it was unique, but I just didn't like it at all. Sorry! It just wasn't flattering.)
Adelina's red dress with the tights
Alena Leonova's FS (Way too much illusion mesh! I thought the purpose of illusion mesh was to try and make us think that there is no material there, but if there was no material where some of that illusion mesh was, I'm pretty sure they would have had to censor it for TV. :p)
Ross Miner's FS (It was so plain! I usually like simple costumes on guys, but this to me looked like he was wearing pajamas or something, just plain navy blue. Sorry, Ross!)
Elizaveta's green FS (I actually kind of liked the green color for something different, but it was way too skimpy for a 14 year old IMO. Whoever said it looked like she was auditioning for a strip routine in Vegas is absolutely right.)
Samuel Contesti's SP (I didn't get why he needed to wear that screaming red and yellow for that music. When I first saw him, I thought he was a clown.)