Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reporting Posts-when, why, how

Custom Title

Reporting Posts-when, why, how

It seems like more and more threads are becoming excuses for Canada bashing and I'm feeling like I should not be posting or even reading anymore! As a Canadian, I don't bash other countries and I would like the same in return. I've looked but can't seem to find a code of conduct anywhere here on the board. Is there one? If there is, how about reminding the board?

Of course not eveyone will listen but then I think it is the job of a moderator to be on top of it and cut it short. A wise woman once told me that the role of a group leader is to reduce sadism. Think about it.

After the booing incident in Nice, I decided that I wanted to do something positive for next years Worlds in London (which I will be attending). I wanted to do something positive that would show the world that Canadians are terrific fans who welcome all skaters/countries/fans and I had some ideas of how to do it in a positive,humourous way. I shared these ideas with a Canadian skating authority who liked them and was prepared to go forward with them (at my own expense). Now I'm wondering if I should bother!

For the record, I am not responsible for Patrick's scores or Scott's remarks. And I do adore Daisuke and Davis/White.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes there is a set of Forum Guidelines. A link to it is contained, among other places, in my signature line.

Doing something nice for all the skaters would be great in London. I hope you are able to organize it.

However, I would caution against "humor". Even among people of the same social class, ethnicity, and citizenship, what is funny is hugely individual & variable. When you try to be humorous you take the risk of being misunderstood, particularly across cultures.

Since your intent is to showcase Canadian fans as the great fans they are, it's better to keep it simple.

Here's an explicit link to the guidelines.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18607

If you find any post offensive, please report it to the moderators. If you don't report the post, we may miss it, or may not read it the same way you do. The best way to get fast action is to report it.

To report a post, click on the icon at the lower left bottom of the offending post. It looks rather like two cards.

Please write anything we should know about the post in the box that comes up.

When you report a post, the mods always read it, and always discuss what to do about a given post. Then we do it.

Actions vary from editing the post, unapproving the post, warning, infracting or banning the poster, or doing nothing.

What we never do is respond to the person reporting the post.

If a post is unapproved, it will disappear from a thread. If a thread is unapproved, likewise, it will disappear from the forum.

If a thread becomes too contentious, we may close it.

Please do not confuse dissatisfaction with the judging, or having non-Canadian favorite skaters with being anti-Canadian. GS allows fans of all skaters, and we try our best (and sometimes fail) to keep things as civil as possible, while still allowing differences of opinion. The mods are volunteers, and the fans post 24/7. Sometimes something that should have been dealt with will stay up for longer than it should.

When things are particularly contentious, we will create a Fan Fest thread. If you are a huge fan of a skater, and never want to hear a negative word about that skater, we try to keep Fan Fest threads free of critical remarks.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-23-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I'm gonna be in London for Worlds next year, so I'd be more than happy to help out your project. PM me if you'd like.

As to Canadian bashing--we love skaters from all countries. Country-specific bashing tends to occur when people defend their favourites to the point of committing ad hominem attacks in the name of their favourite skater(s). We do not condone this at Goldenskate, and attacking others to defend your favourite is actually a disservice to your skater. Whether we like it or not, we represent the skaters we love, no matter where they come from. Our poor attitude reflects negatively on them, also.

Down With It
    Perhaps there should be a separate section for "fan fest" threads? They seem to be taking up space in the Edge forum which IMHO should be mainly for news, etc...?

We could do that...Where would anyone like the Fan Fest threads-in a folder under The Edge, or somewhere else?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Perhaps there should be a separate section for "fan fest" threads? They seem to be taking up space in the Edge forum which IMHO should be mainly for news, etc...?
    There are few news threads in the Edge partly because a lot of news have gone into fan fest threads. And then there are antifan threads, blatant or cloaked in discussion topics. I don't see why they should be deemed more space worthy than fan fests. I have no problem with people celebrating their fandoms but am more bothered by the bashing threads or drifts.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    There are few news threads in the Edge partly because a lot of news have gone into fan fest threads. And then there are antifan threads, blatant or cloaked in discussion topics. I don't see why they should be deemed more space worthy than fan fests. I have no problem with people celebrating their fandoms but am more bothered by the bashing threads or drifts.
    But Fan Fest threads are for FANS, no? There might be an important news update that nonfans will miss because it's buried in the fan thread. Personally, I don't bother with those threads as I don't consider myself a fan of those skaters. I mean, news CAN be posted there but major news topics need their own dedicated threads.

Besides...sometimes it's helpful to discuss a news topic from all angles, including critical ones, rather than be restricted to cheerleading about it since it's in the FAN thread.

That's reasonable, R.D.

But remember, if you read news in a fan thread, and want to discuss it in a more general way, you can always start a thread for it.

And since mods have to read every thread, if we saw something that definitely needed wider coverage, one of us would probably start a thread.

And SF?

If we thought a thread was a bashing thread, it would be closed.

It is permitted on this board to prefer the skating of one skater over another.

That is not bashing.

Elbownians, for example, are perfectly free to cheer for all Elbownian skaters, and to find all other skaters less than Elbownian skaters. That's fine.

Jane, who loves Suzy Skater is allowed to cheer for Suzy, even if no one else likes Suzy. That's fine.

What is not allowed is to denigrate the Elbownians for being Elbownian, or to insult Jane because you do not like Suzy Skater.

We used to have threads like the Yu-na Kim thread (over 1000 posts) that were for all news about that particular skater. Although most people who posted were in fact fans, the thread was open to all opinions.

Ah, for the good old days when all we had to fight about was whether Yu-na was prettier than Mao Asada. In the Kim-Asada wars, even though the moderators had to step in once in a while, our impression was that these were young people passionate about their favorites rather than partisans cynically attempting one-upsmanship on their "enemies" on the board.

There does seem to be a meaner edge on the part of both attackers and counterattackers lately. We never before in the history of Golden Skate had to create a thread with the instructions, you may not criticize this skater in this thread.

Personally, I don't think that the Fan Fest threads are yet pushing threads of greater general interest off the front page of the Edge. Now that the off-season is here, there may be less to talk about for a while anyway.

I do, however, think it would be a welcome idea if those members who are following the fan fest threads would start new threads when news items about their skater come up.

Custom Title
    Thanks all for your responses. It's good to know that people are thinking about possibilities. This has been my first season being deeply involved in the threads (I was a lurker for quite a while) and I guess I was simply not prepared for the intensity of feeling. I had an "aha" moment when someone mentioned that she had survived the SLC discussion wars so she could survive anything! Whew! I can't imagine what that must have been like! So I guess I have just emerged from the 2012 podium wars.

Anyway, I've decided to calm down and not let this bother me. I will speak up when I see something mean-spirited but am choosing my battles carefully. I am not the thread police and I don't want to be!

Thanks all for the ideas. And Bluedog, thanks for your offer. I will PM you.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Personally, I don't think that the Fan Fest threads are yet pushing threads of greater general interest off the front page of the Edge.
    Apparently the Takahashi fan fest thread and Hanyu thread have become too informative to stand alone for only their ubers. They have cut off a lot of discussions on some info and subjects in those threads because of the title of the threads. Especially the Takahashi thread. But some have claimed that Hanyu thread is for ubers only too. And those threads have become a heaven for their ubers to belittle and bash other skaters and/or their own coaches (for example, Brian Orser and Morozov) and everything around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Apparently the Takahashi fan fest thread and Hanyu thread have become too informative to stand alone for only their ubers. They have cut off a lot of discussions on some info and subjects in those threads because of the title of the threads. Especially the Takahashi thread. But some have claimed that Hanyu thread is for ubers only too. And those threads have become a heaven for their ubers to belittle and bash other skaters and/or their own coaches (for example, Brian Orser and Morozov) and everything around them.
    It seems like a double edged sword. Back in the day without help from mods there could have been 10 different Yuna threads on a page.

But it seems odd to have special threads for skaters like Chan and Dai that allow no dissenting opinions while skaters like Evan and Plushy remain fair game.

The Sasha thread from a few years ago is another good example.

For now it might be best to post new comments of interest about Dai or Patrick on a new thread.
    Yea, that could lead to 10 Chan threads on the first page of the Edge but might be better than non-stop warfare on the uber Chan thread.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-31-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If Evan was not from USA he would be protected atleast to some extent.
    I don't think having such double standards improves the reputation or interest of any forum.

A moderator here once wrote that "Sasha is popular enough that she doesn't need to have any rules or guidlines protecting her."
    The same moderator thinks that Patrick and Dai do need it.

You think USA is the reason?! What about Plushenko?!

Yeah, it's hard to balance and protect high profile skaters. How about to have a thread for each skater and everyone can post and discuss freely, and, in the meantime, have uber threads for those skaters for ubers only to gush and admire. Any info goes to general discussion threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You think USA is the reason?! What about Plushenko?!

Yeah, it's hard to balance and protect high profile skaters. How about to have a thread for each skater and everyone can post and discuss freely, and, in the meantime, have uber threads for those skaters for ubers only to gush and admire. Any info goes to general discussion threads?

Uber threads have little interest for me and I find the Chan thread a waste of space. But it is popular and Chan has many fans and detractors.

It's not a pefect world.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-31-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Uber threads have little interest for me and I find the Chan thread a waste of space. But it is popular and Chan has many detractors.

It's not a pefect world.
    That's what uber theads should be - to be interested to only ubers where they can say all good things about their beloved skaters but not to be interested to others, because others don't see those levels of goodness on those skaters. But when uber thread becomes more than a gushing thread with pages and pages translations and links, it is too large to be kept to ubers alone. It is not practical for others, who are not ubers, to open a new thread and copy every new subject or link that has been posted in the uber thread first and alone by ubers.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 08-31-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast