Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Japanese World Team: 2013 Outlook

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,037
    The Japanese Figure Skating Class designation thing has been released: http://skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data...e/24Figure.pdf

    Suzuki is in "Exceptionally Special Skaters" once again Haruka Imai has been 'downgraded' to "Special Skater A".

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The JSF is still favoring Takahashi but the international judges seem to have different opinions.
    They don't. Hanyu won over Takahashi in LP at Worlds with the gap 0.05 point. Takahashi won over Chan himself at WTT with the gap 16.26 points. It means by your logic the internation judges favour Dai more than 325 times more. Simple math. Yuzuru will be a great skater I have no doubt. I also have no doubt that he doesn't need false facts made-up by his fans to promote his career.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    This thread is about the Japanese World Team, right? The discussion has focused on their Men and Ladies but these are happy dilemmas whereas they have big problems in Pairs and Dance, especially for the Olympics. It is doubtful Tran will be granted citizenship in time. Japan will have a low ranked Dance team and may not have a Pairs entry. Who else do they have in Senior Pairs?
    Here they are talking about Worlds team, not World Team Trophy team I guess.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Men - Hanyu finally becomes the #1 Japanese man. The JSF is still favoring Takahashi but the international judges seem to have different opinions. He'll lose to Hanyu at NHK and GPF decisively. The JSF must accept the reality. Kozuka, Oda and Mura fight for the third spot.
    JSF never favored Takahashi this season. It was Kozuka that they supported most. JSF decided that they had no use of Takahashi any more, and was practically dumping him. That is why they sent him to Skate Canada just to let him lose to Chan, and assigned both him and Kozuka to NHK expecting Kozuka to beat him.

    In Japan Nationals, Kozuka's PCS was higher than in GPS and Hanyu's was lower than GPF, which also indicates JSF tried to save Kozuka after the disastrous GPS results.

    Takahashi and his team (his coaches Nagamitsu, Honda, etc.) have had enough with JSF's politics, and never count on them anyway.

    As for the ladies, I bet JSF is begging Ando to return to competitions as they would never want to recognize Suzuki, whom they have been treated so badly, as Japan's #1. Ando doesn't to seem to have much motivation to do so, though.

    This season's results were the exact opposite of what JSF hoped.
    Last edited by mikeko666; 04-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    They don't. Hanyu won over Takahashi in LP at Worlds with the gap 0.05 point. Takahashi won over Chan himself at WTT with the gap 16.26 points. It means by your logic the internation judges favour Dai more than 325 times more. Simple math. Yuzuru will be a great skater I have no doubt. I also have no doubt that he doesn't need false facts made-up by his fans to promote his career.
    We can say that Takahashi was treated as the clear favorite representing the home only because Hanyu was not there. IF Hanyu was participating WTT, Takahashi's score could be lower (although his performances could've beaten Chan this time). Even the JSF has considered that possibility and put Hanyu off the team in favor of Takahashi. They said Hanyu has sprained his ankle. But it's very strange to make the conclusion so early. They could put Hanyu on the roster and replace with Kozuka if "necessary." The JSF wanted to give Takahashi the clear-cut favorite position and raise the possibility to beat Chan -- that's the most logical interpretation. I think they are reluctant to give the #1 position to Hanyu at this point.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    We can say that Takahashi was treated as the clear favorite representing the home only because Hanyu was not there. IF Hanyu was participating WTT, Takahashi's score could be lower (although his performances could've beaten Chan this time). Even the JSF has considered that possibility and put Hanyu off the team in favor of Takahashi. They said Hanyu has sprained his ankle. But it's very strange to make the conclusion so early. They could put Hanyu on the roster and replace with Kozuka if "necessary." The JSF wanted to give Takahashi the clear-cut favorite position and raise the possibility to beat Chan -- that's the most logical interpretation. I think they are reluctant to give the #1 position to Hanyu at this point.
    Hanyu's ankle was sprain from worlds. It seemed reasonable for him to skip out if he was injured. If Hanyu doesn't adapt fast and well enough to his new training environment and coach, he may not make the World team this coming season. So Takahashi may be the only one that is kinda guaranteed on the world team unless Kozuka comes back strong. If Hanyu does adapt well (which is likely b/c he's going to Orser with all of his jumps and good jump technique) , he could become Japan's number one. I'm going to assume that Wilson will give him COP savvy programs that is going to get him high scores. Does JSF let the other senior ice dance pair compete on the GP or is it just the Reeds?
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,037
    There's no way JSF is putting Hanyu off the world team, especially since they are fully supporting his coach change to Orser. I heard they are paying for most of his expenses too.

    It's funny how one piece of news can directly shift the Japanese team outlook :P It's kinda like the stock market (simplified).

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    There's no way JSF is putting Hanyu off the world team, especially since they are fully supporting his coach change to Orser. I heard they are paying for most of his expenses too.

    It's funny how one piece of news can directly shift the Japanese team outlook :P It's kinda like the stock market (simplified).
    I was just listing the possibilities. I didn't specifically say that he was only going to not make the world team. A coaching change can be a big factor in how the skater performs, so it's just another variable to consider when predicting the outcome of a season that has not even started yet. I occasionally like doing crazy paranoid predictions sometimes. It's from the skating withdrawal On the other hand I think he will benefit greatly from Wilson choreo and will score big if he skates clean, enough to overtake Takahashi.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-25-2012 at 03:56 PM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    The Japanese Figure Skating Class designation thing has been released: http://skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data...e/24Figure.pdf

    Suzuki is in "Exceptionally Special Skaters" once again Haruka Imai has been 'downgraded' to "Special Skater A".
    Thanks for the PDF. I fed the document to Google Translate and I find it interesting that Nobunari Oda has been placed in the topmost class designation thing (according to Google Translate, "Special election strengthened the hand"). Guess they haven't completely given up on him yet.

    I am also very glad to see the JSF isn't shafting Akiko like they tried to do last season!

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Thanks for the PDF. I fed the document to Google Translate and I find it interesting that Nobunari Oda has been placed in the topmost class designation thing (according to Google Translate, "Special election strengthened the hand"). Guess they haven't completely given up on him yet.

    I am also very glad to see the JSF isn't shafting Akiko like they tried to do last season!
    Haha, the direct translation is "exceptionally/special strengthen athlete", but really I suspect these are the skaters who will receiving the most funding and support.

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    We can say that Takahashi was treated as the clear favorite representing the home only because Hanyu was not there. IF Hanyu was participating WTT, Takahashi's score could be lower (although his performances could've beaten Chan this time). Even the JSF has considered that possibility and put Hanyu off the team in favor of Takahashi. They said Hanyu has sprained his ankle. But it's very strange to make the conclusion so early.
    Eh? What is strange and what do you mean by "early"? I think if someone strains an ankle, it's announced when it's diagnosed. The rest is just rumors that you keep spreading around. But if you are a press-secretary of JSF, than you are within your rights to declaim things in your ex cathedra tone.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,378
    Japan Ladies might be hurting after Sochi. No Ando, Suzuki or Asada to rely on anymore. Unless the new girls get a lot better Japan might be heading for a slump of their own just like the US Ladies have the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Jammers; 04-26-2012 at 04:36 PM.

  12. #27
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,467
    Suzuki is clearly the number one Japanese lady this season. With PCS's in the high 7's and 8's already, a triple-triple, incredible and beautiful artistry and musicality only matched by Asada and Kostner, top-notch footwork and vastly improved spins-- she is on top.

    I hope next year would become an even better season for her. With her stature now as World medalist and for recently beating the World champion- if she plays her cards right, she may take it to an even higher level! I am so proud of her! I love you Akiko!!!!!!!!!!!!


    I agree that JSF favored Takahiko this season after his World silver medal (fair enough) and were quite unsure where Dai is heading in his career. Dai had to reestablish himself as the top skater in Japan and in the world. Yuzuru will keep on improving next year and will give Dai and Patrick a formidable challenge for the world title and who knows Takahiko may find the form that was missing this season!


    For the ladies in the future- I think Kanako, Satoko and Rissa can keep the Japanese flag on top with the Russians and Americans!

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    521
    Kanako has a chance to make a team is she becomes more consistent. She has grown artistically this year. I expect her to be even better next year.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Japan Ladies might be hurting after Sochi. No Ando, Suzuki or Asada to rely on anymore. Unless the new girls get a lot better Japan might be heading for a slump of their own just like the US Ladies have the last 5 years.
    They have actually lost a spot at Junior worlds. The Japanese junior men did as well. A lot of the ladies have technique and UR problems. I wonder if we'll eventually see a shift in power from Japan to China in regards to single skating. The Chinese junior men are actually up a spot at next year's junior worlds

  15. #30
    Custom Title Butterscotch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    186
    I think that the World team for the men will be Daisuke, Yuzuru and Takahiko again. I don't think that Yuzuru is going to overtake Daisuke, though, not yet anyway. After last year's Worlds, everyone thought Artur Gachinski would become a big threat, but this year he finished what? 18th? (Not that he can't come back from that and be a huge star.) Same thing could happen to Yuzuru, although hopefully not, and probably not. But you never know. He's young and could be unpredictable. And he had a coaching change, too, which is probably a good thing, but could take some getting used to. I do think he will be the future of Japanese skating (thinking maybe 2018 Olympics?), but I don't think he will overtake Dai next year.

    Daisuke's getting better, too, so that's why I think he'll be the top Japanese man at the 2013 Worlds. He had been having trouble with his quad for the longest time, but I think now he is finally getting it solid and somewhat more consistent. Plus, he performs programs and interprets them like no one else (IMO) which results in good PCS.

    The third spot on the team I think will go to Takahiko. Yeah, he had a rough season, but that doesn't mean he can't come back. I think he will be better next season; he has so much potential. I have no clue what Nobunari Oda is going to bring, I haven't seen him skate in so long. But with the whole injury he had and everything, I don't expect him to skate well enough to make the World team, especially because I think Taka will do better next season than he did this season.

    As for the ladies, if Miki comes back, I think it will be Miki, Mao and Akiko on the team. As much as I love Miki Ando, though, I kind of hope she doesn't come back. I think she has accomplished what she can, she's a two-time World Champion, and she should just stay retired so she can quit while she's on top. I'm not sure what else she can do. Although, I'd love watching her skate again, so I'm torn.

    So if Miki's back she will almost certainly be on the team, and I think Mao will, too. She's their star, and even though she's had a hard couple seasons, she's on the comeback trail.

    As long as Akiko skates as well next season as she did this past season, she should be on the team as well. She was amazing this season, she won a World medal, and I really hope she can keep it up I think Kanako will do better, but Akiko was really the #1 Japanese lady this season, so I don't think Kanako will make it.

    But, hey, it's not for a year. A lot of things could change; we'll have to see how the Grand Prix goes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •