Cynthia Phaneuf Fan Fest | Golden Skate

Cynthia Phaneuf Fan Fest

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Cynthia needs some support by us, that's why I create this thread. :)

I believe that she can regain the canadian title next year.

I think that I have see what is wrong in her skating right now.

Here is my hypothesis : I think that Cynthia today, think too much when she skates. And, this affect her skating ability because trying to think too much, makes your movements more robotic.
Or my other hypothesis is that she is scaring to make the difficult jumps. If, it's the case, the best solution for her, will be to stop thinking when she skates and this will help her to skate better because since the time she skates, involuntarily her brain knows automatically her jumping technique. So, she needs to stop thinking and believe in herself.

1. If we compared this Cynthia Begin (0:40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ65cEPvg7E

2. and this one (0:44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9cKTfVQFyg&feature=fvst

We can see in the first video that Cynthia is confidence with herself and she doesn't look to think, we can see that she is in the present moment.
While today
with the second video, we can see that she always thinking before she starts and she doubts her own ability.

What you think about my hypothesis ?
Does Brian Orser, is the solution for her ? Does he can help her mentally to overcome her fears and doubts ?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think what people are forgetting is that Cynthia just switched coaches. We have to give that coaching tandem a try. I think she will be more confident as of next year. It's a shame that Canada only has one spot in the ladies; especially with Canadian ladies getting stronger with Osmond, Lacoste, and her.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Cynthia had gained some weight and it'd affected her situation this season.

I don't see any improvement with Orser yet, from the WTT, but she hadn't competed in awhile at the WTT so she was probably rusty. I think he can probably help her out in the coming months. It looks like she lost some of the weight she gained at least.

heyhey

On the Ice
Cynthia has some work to do but she has been given the right training environment at the Toronto Cricket Club with Brian Orser, Tracy Wilson and David Wilson. In addition, she is skating with Christina Gao and Javier Fernandez and company so that can't hurt her. She has been given the opportunity to skate with Stars on Ice in Canada and that should her help her out immensely - unless she can't land her jumps consistently throughout the tour and then Joannie Rochette and Ashley Wagner hit their jumps...that may be demoralizing...or she can use it as motivation...she has to ultimately decide....

ETA: Perhaps I am being too harsh here - it's easier said than done to get your confidence and jumps back - so we need to be patient...

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Though I watched her as a petite pretty 15 year old winning the Canadian Championship, I actually only became Cynthia's fan last year. I am rooting for her as a tall womanly skater, as a mature skater, as a determined persevering skater, and as an uniquely elegant skater. I hope she regains her confidence because her confident landings of jumps are the most beautiful in the world. She has that regal beauty and presence on ice, with wonderful presentation and charming but not contrived facial expressions.

There are complaints of all Ladies being indistinguishably boring and similar in their skating these days. Cynthia stands out uniquely beautiful and elegant, if she lands her jumps solidly.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I can't say I'm a fan but I do enjoy that she brings a different, more athletic quality to competition. I would like to see her in more flattering costumes; her shoulders are too built to wear sleeveless dresses and it gives her a bit of a masculine look. I think she, unlike a lot of skaters, is capable of interpreting a wide range of musical and choreographic styles and if she could just land her jumps she could really shake-up the women's field.

heyhey

On the Ice
Though I watched her as a petite pretty 15 year old winning the Canadian Championship, I actually only became Cynthia's fan last year. I am rooting for her as a tall womanly skater, as a mature skater, as a determined persevering skater, and as an uniquely elegant skater. I hope she regains her confidence because her confident landings of jumps are the most beautiful in the world. She has that regal beauty and presence on ice, with wonderful presentation and charming but not contrived facial expressions.

There are complaints of all Ladies being indistinguishably boring and similar in their skating these days. Cynthia stands out uniquely beautiful and elegant, if she lands her jumps solidly.

Cynthia does have a Katarina Witt quality about her in terms of regal beauty and presence on ice and I think that David Wilson has tried to bring that out. Unfortunately I am not sure how team Orser will repackage Cynthia this year. She has had the same FD for the last 2 years I believe - so and we will wait and see.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It all depends on the jumps for Cynthia, whether it's a matter of techniques or confidence, likely both interrelated. I appreciate very much that even when she bombs her jumps, she maintains her cool regal expression and keeps performing and selling her program without looking terrified or defeated like some skaters. Just get her jumps consistent and she is a complete package.

I adore broad strong shoulders a la Cheltzie Lee.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sad sad sad. I think she can win the Canadian title only because CAnada is so so so weak. The weakest ever. IMHO Amelie is the "worst" and "weakest" champion. she is too matuer to be up and coming. I am sure she is a lovely lady but not much of a personality or style - sadly Phaneuf has more - better when she is on. Osmond is ho hum. Yeah can land some big tricks but certainly not the amplitude of Kostner or the Japanese and Russians. I would suggest Canada bring back Joannie she has more style, pizzaz and even what jumps she has on tour are stronger than an Canadian lady right now - that's sad. And Joannie has huge potential still to regain all jumps. Maybe not a triple triple but maybe a triple toe half loop triple salchow. As for Phaneuf - Canada's best hope is rochette to regain two spots and then have Phaneuf regain her jumps and improve to be the best she can be - darn a little more generous marking and she would have had 2010 World bronze. She was probably undermarked pc wise in both short and long programs.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Osmond is ho hum. Yeah can land some big tricks but certainly not the amplitude of Kostner or the Japanese and Russians.

Osmond is 15/16. When Carolina was 15/16, she finished 10th at Junior worlds...so did Osmond.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
^^ I agree. Osmond is young. Give her some time to develop. And think of the pleasure we can get from seeing her grow. Joannie didn't reach the top overnight; she had to struggle. And please don't write Cynthia off just yet! I really hope she can conquer the demons. She's lovely IMO.

hohoho

On the Ice
Cynthia may need to step away for a few weeks or a month and really look in the mirror and decide if she is really into figure skating or if it is just a push for Sochi. Her marks have been steadily in decline since 2011 nats in Victoria. She skated OK there. Don't get me wrong, she is a beautiful skater. But I think with her last performance (125ish) at WTT, her PCS will be difficult to get back.