Akiko's next programs? | Golden Skate

Akiko's next programs?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Akiko is gloriously musical and can skate, I think, to anything. What do people want to see her tackle? I think she is enchanting, so worth watching. Music ideas?

Last edited:

Taan

On the Ice
I hope she skates to very melancholy and emotionally rich music , less perky and bold and vivacious on the ice and more serious would be a rather shocking look for her.

sp: Adagio Albinoni
lp: Where have all the flowers gone?

christinaskater

Medalist
I hope she skates to classical, balletic and operatic music

Tosca
Brahms piano concerto No 2
Saint Saens Piano Concerto No. 2
Rosamunde by Schubert
Carmina Burana
Zorbas Suite Ballet

christinaskater

Medalist
She is truly one of the most musical and magical skaters on the ice. I am so happy she was able to finally establish herself as one of the best skaters in the world. Her musicality and danceability is truly unparalleled. Like Dai and Michelle, she has the rare capacity to draw people to her performances. I have seen her 2x live and I have fallen in love with her scintillating skating and adorable personality.

If she plays her cards next year, she will be one of the favourites, if not the favourite to win Worlds next year along with Carolina and Ashley! I think they will have an amazing rivalry that will go all the way till the Olympics.

Her PCS will surely be in the 8's if she performs beautifully. Who knows she may challenge Maria Butyrskaya's record. I don't want to preempt things, but I am glad to have been a part of her journey of skating :)

christinaskater

Medalist
I do hope she would win 4 Continents as well!

It will be a huge challenge especially with Gracie, Elizaveta, Adelina etc.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Akiko played to her strength by using Die Fledermaus and kept pace with Marlie. So many great Japanese ladies-this one bloomed late. If Ashley does not win WC next year, I hope Akiko does. Are there any ideas for upbeat, strong classical music peices or a movie soundtrack that would use her heritage?

I'd love to listen to suggestions and picture Akiko doing different steps and movies. I have no classical music background. I'd prefer her to avoid Tosca and retreads like that. Dark music would be a mistake. It was for Asada 2010. Akiko is bubbly, dancerly, fast feet, a tiny explosion-I think she is not a ballet pincess but a very sweet enchantress/seductress even. What would she do with Salome? That is dark themed but I could see that being amazing. Should she stay with fast merry waltez or slow it down and add drama?

It seems the judges want classical music in their champions. olympia- any suggestions to start? I think Akiko would be a great WC as she has climbed her moutain. I pray her 'angel of music' finds her perfect SP/LP. Let's help this wonderful little gal.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
My suggest for her LP is... the score to the Disney/Pixar film Up, composed by Michael Giacchino. You can hear a pretty representative sample of the score in the end credit piece. The score has impeccable pedigree: it won the Oscar, two Grammys, and a BAFTA. But more importantly, I think it contains the elements that Akiko does so well: the sheer joy, the exuberance, the embrace of the audience and of course, the waltz. But there's also melancholy, recollection and letting go, which would be interesting and effective for her to explore, I think.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Up is being used in CSOI this summer. Tessa & Scott are the biggest part of the ensemble skating to it.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Up is being used in CSOI this summer. Tessa & Scott are the biggest part of the ensemble skating to it.

Will have to track down that video and try not to cry. Is Akiko in CSOI? Then she may already be familiar with the music from Up!

I'd like it even more if she skated to something less symphonic. But there aren't that many options that are vocals-free.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, if we're going to go there, I'd prefer she tackled something from WALL.E. Newman's score for that is glorious ("The Axiom," "Define Dancing"). She could even interpolate "La Vie En Rose" into it if she wanted.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Well, if we're going to go there, I'd prefer she tackled something from WALL.E. Newman's score for that is glorious ("The Axiom," "Define Dancing"). She could even interpolate "La Vie En Rose" into it if she wanted.

:laugh: I love that score, too, more than I do the score to Up. Newman is my favorite film composer. I suggested Up because Newman is subtler and less exuberant, the latter a quality that I think is essential to Akiko's skating. And the score to Up, while having the higher highs, also has lower lows, as befitting a story that deals with more personal tragedy. I think showing a little more angst could help Akiko's PCS, as well as show her artistic evolution.

christinaskater

Medalist
A piece that would showcase drama, inspiration, love, joy and tragedy.....

She is one skater who can skate to anything...but her strength is the happy,theatrical and light music.

I agree about having a bit of angst in her skate. A little more polish in the movements.

The "Up" soundtrack sounds perfect.

"Dream of Desdemona","Prelude to An Afternoon Faun", "
"Carmina Burana" would be perfect for her- perfect SP
"The Nutcracker" perfect LP

Another music that would play to her strengths is
"The Skaters Waltz"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirn3M3ewQc
I do hope she would stop focusing on perfection for the season. She was thinking all year of giving a perfect free but she became a victim of her goal to have a perfect program (like Jennifer Kirk said :))

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope she skates to very melancholy and emotionally rich music , less perky and bold and vivacious on the ice and more serious would be a rather shocking look for her.

sp: Adagio Albinoni
lp: Where have all the flowers gone?

Nah, keep the perky for Akiko, Mao should skate to Where Have All The Flowers Gone!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think something that runs the full gamut of emotions for her would be great. She can be perky, flirtatious, and dramatic!

*Carmen
*Swan Lake
*Malaguena

shine

Record Breaker
I'd love to see her skate to classical music that is emotionally rich as well! It would also be nice if she can stay away from role playing because I think she's wonderfully musical and can very well expand her musical horizon/understanding even further by experimenting with non-program music.
This Tschaikovsky Trio op. 50 is one of my favourite Romantic pieces. It's emotionally sweeping and musically rich. Definitely skateable music. I think she may have the maturity and sensitivity to pull it off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iU8Xw9GwA&list=PL5DC66B822411EE37&feature=mh_lolz

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Something like this for the SP would score well. This is right up her alley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3PelmX05M&feature=related

What is the music? Sounds like from the days of Japan's great dominance, pride filled. It suited Midori, but Akiko? No, not so much

I was listening to Delibes Coppelia Waltz and his Coppelia Mazurka, which would be beautiful, should she stay with waltz/ballet music. I think an epic movie track that is current or well known to get the crowd behind her. But what? HMMM.