Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 184

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,179

    Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...do_sp-spo.html

    According to Google Translate:

    Hope the men who won the bronze medal at the World Championships of figure skating, string result hub = high Tohoku Miyagi (17) =, Kim Jonah coach Canadian led to the gold medal (South Korea), Bryan Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010 -was supposed to be studied under (50) Mr. Orser. Ito figure Hidehito chairman of Japan Skating Federation on February 25, said.
    In future, the activities of Canada around the Toronto author has based his leadership. According to the chairman of Ito, the decision on the intention of "I want to raise the level out overseas" hub, leaving the coach's original beauty for many years under the guidance Nana Abe in Sendai locals.
    I assume "hope the men" somehow translates to 'Yuzuru Hanyu.'

    Very interesting coaching change, especially as Javier Fernandez is currently training under Brian Orser as well. As Yuzuru and his (former) coach Nanami Abe seemed very close, I wonder what precipitated this coaching change.....on a more frivolous note, I wonder if we will see Brian Orser hold a Winnie the Pooh tissue box by the boards like Abe used to do for Yuzuru.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Any Other World
    Posts
    850
    Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team.
    Yes, I am definitely wondering about this too. Maybe Nanami Abe will remain on Yuzuru's coaching team but Brian Orser will be the primary coach? Something like Daisuke's old coaching situation....Daisuke also has a very long and close bond with Utako Nagamitsu, to the point that she remained on his coaching team and was listed as co-coach even when Daisuke started training under Nikolai Morozov.

    I also wonder if we will see an entire style revamp for Yuzuru like what happened to Javier Fernandez this season. I already like Yuzuru's style now and I'm really not sure what to feel about this.

  4. #4
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13
    I'm mostly a lurker, but I thought I'd help translate the article.

    Figure skater Hanyu's new coach, Orser, who trained Kim Yuna
    The world figure skating bronze medalist, mens' singles hope, Hanyu Yuzuru (17, Miyagi, Tohoku High), has decided to be coached by Canadian coach Brian Orser, who led Kim Yuna (South Korea) to the gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. JSF chairman, Ito Hidehito, revealed on the 25th.

    From now on, he'll be working with Orser who is based in Toronto, Canada. According to Chairman Ito, Hanyu's intention for this decision is, "I want to go abroad to raise my level," leaving Coach Abe Nanami who he has trained under with for many years in his local Sendai.
    When I first heard the news, I thought, "Omg, let the off-season begin! " I had a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later. I will miss him and Coach Abe together, but I always felt his ambitious personality wasn't going to let him stay with one coach in Japan forever. I wish him all the best. I'm a little worried, but a bit curious to see, how the Orser team will package him for the upcoming season.

  5. #5
    One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Any Other World
    Posts
    850
    Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.

  6. #6
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,988
    Thank you for the translation and Welcome to GS ohheyskaters.

    Surprising news but I think it will be a good change for Hanyu to go abroad. Orser is a good coach
    and I think it will be a good match, tho I will miss seeing his former coach Abe at his side.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,275
    For sure it will be good for his English. Interesting to see how Hanyu and Fernandez will influence each other.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.
    I agree.....a part of me was attracted to Nanami and Yuzuru's relationship. It's taking me a while to digest this.... :'(

    Hope she will always be by his side, like Daisuke's coach.

  9. #9
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team.
    i don't understand why he would mess with a good thing. Of course its hard to tell on TV but they seemed to have a great relationship, he is going nowhere but up and has the technique to do it. I feel like skaters, once they reach a certain level feel like they have to switch to a "big name" coach, regardless of the implications.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Now, I'm worrying about other students under his tutelage. Javier, Ellen, Phaneuf, Gao, etc.

    I don't think it's possible to take good care of those many students. He didn't even be with Gao in US nationals. I remember when they moved to him, many fans were expecting something magical then.
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny 80 View Post
    Now, I'm worrying about other students under his tutelage. Javier, Ellen, Phaneuf, Gao, etc.

    I don't think it's possible to take good care of those many students. He didn't even be with Gao in US nationals. I remember when they moved to him, many fans were expecting something magical then.
    Yeah, I was thinking - since the US Championships 2013 and European Championships 2013 falls within the same timeframe, is he going to ditch Gao and go with Javier again like this year? I don't know how Gao will feel since it won't be the first time :/ And what happened to Harvard, is she going to matriculate there this fall?

    The rivalry between Javier and Yuzuru at the Cricket Club will be interesting.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking - since the US Championships 2013 and European Championships 2013 falls within the same timeframe, is he going to ditch Gao and go with Javier again like this year? I don't know how Gao will feel since it won't be the first time :/ And what happened to Harvard, is she going to matriculate there this fall?

    The rivalry between Javier and Yuzuru at the Cricket Club will be interesting.
    I worried about her,too. Gao has been 3 years under his wings, so I thought their relationships are kind of special. And she got through a difficult season.
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.

  13. #13
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    22
    Wow, this is surprising. I'm actually a bit worried about Yuzuru's future programme coreographies... I think Nanami Abe did great work with Yuzu's SP and LP this year and I really hope we're going to see him skating to some wonderful programmes in the future, too. I wonder why would he leave his long-time coach now that everything seems to be so fine... :/

    As phaeljones said, this will be a test for Orser especially. I'm looking forward to the next season to see what happens with Yuzuru (and all the other skaters too, of course).

    (Sorry for my bad English, it's hard to find the right words with a foreign language.)

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Adeliza View Post
    Wow, this is surprising. I'm actually a bit worried about Yuzuru's future programme coreographies... I think Nanami Abe did great work with Yuzu's SP and LP this year and I really hope we're going to see him skating to some wonderful programmes in the future, too. I wonder why would he leave his long-time coach now that everything seems to be so fine... :/

    As phaeljones said, this will be a test for Orser especially. I'm looking forward to the next season to see what happens with Yuzuru (and all the other skaters too, of course).

    (Sorry for my bad English, it's hard to find the right words with a foreign language.)
    Adeliza, welcome to the forum!

    No, no, do not worry about your English. You are doing just fine!
    I have already made mistakes a million times since the Valentine's Day. But they did not kick me out of this forum, well just yet.
    If I can survise, so you can!

  15. #15
    One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Any Other World
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i don't understand why he would mess with a good thing. Of course its hard to tell on TV but they seemed to have a great relationship, he is going nowhere but up and has the technique to do it. I feel like skaters, once they reach a certain level feel like they have to switch to a "big name" coach, regardless of the implications.
    It really seemed like the scene was shaken up a bit. Not only new exciting skaters, but fresh wind with newer coaches, too. I also don't see the sense in moving to a coach that has dozens of other students to care for. Sometimes it feels like one half of the skaters is trained by Morozov and the other half by Orser. That's why it is a bit disappointing. It would've been a fresh and new direction for the sport and now it seems like same old/same old. But in the end it is Yuzurus decision. I just hope he won't be disappointed and his programmes next season will still proove to be special. I have a few doubts about that, but let's wait and see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •