Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Becki

Medalist
Right after the WC, they sat team Japan down and interviewed them all together. When it came to Hanyu, they said we have a special something for you and then showed his coach sending him a video message. She said he's special and wished him the best of luck in the future and something about succeed in the future. And then he awkwardly thanked her. I thought that was really odd, but I guess in light of this news, it wasn't that odd.

Ahh...that. He was really teary, and it's hard to think or words to say besides "thank you" in such a situation. Hanyu said Nanami Abe has been one of his biggest motivators, and will continue to be *thumbsup*

FTnoona

Final Flight
I don't know...I've always wondered the same. For one thing, the new school term starts in early April in Japan, so perhaps Yuzuru will be able to start school once the season ends. So from April-July, Yuzuru will be in school. Yuzuru goes to a high school where most of his classmates are athletes, so the school probably does have a special program in place. I am not too sure, because I've never investigated into this matter although I am also very curious.

How can Narumi attend Keio when she trains in Montreal? She's a third year student too....so there must be some kind of special arrangement. Also same with Takahiko Kozuka and grad school. I always wonder how these Japanese skaters can continue to go to school while training full-time....

Narumi and Kozuka are college students though. Doesn't Kozuka train in Japan? In the states, once your in college you don't have to attend class, you just have to take the midterms if there are any and final. If college in Japan is similar (I don't know), that may be how Narumi is doing it.

Becki

Medalist
Narumi and Kozuka are college students though. Doesn't Kozuka train in Japan? In the states, once your in college you don't have to attend class, you just have to take the midterms if there are any and final. If college in Japan is similar (I don't know), that may be how Narumi is doing it.

Yes, but Narumi didn't graduate under a Japanese high school? She trained in Montreal since 2007, so there must have been same kind of arrangement. Same for Mao Asada...how did she graduate from high school when she was training full time overseas?

I've never studied under the Japanese school system, but I know people who have. They told me there is a huge emphasis on exams in high school (less so on participation and assignments, like the typical Canadian high school), so it's similar to some colleges, where if you show up for the important exams and pass, it's all good. Reminds me of my high school, where you're expected to show up for class, but in the end it all boils down to a few exams :rolleye:

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Irina has a dime everytime the Russian fed told her to change coach, she probably would be very rich now. This is sad. I'm a bit disappointed in Hanyu.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Hanyu should move to Toronto and do all his training there. To do something in Toronto and something in Japan is not a good idea at all, way too distracting. A skater needs to concentrate fully on the training and not spend precious time to travelling from Canada to Japan, etc.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I enter the forum and Chan, Hanyu, Bobrova and who else have changed coaches:eek:
I dont like this change for now, we will see. He did a great good to Javier though and Elena G.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm not so sure with Orser was a good move. he was doing great with Nanami
but that won't change though Yuzuru's written to stars superstardom. :)
my baby Yuzuru - The greatest of all male single skaters since Evgeni Pluschenko

this off season has many coaching changes , a bit weird
first with Riazanova/Tkachenko to Bobrova/Soloviev and then Sinitsina/Zhiganshin and now Hanyu :eek:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am concerned for Orser for taking in Hanyu. It is common for skaters to have a let down after a stunning breakthrough, e.g. Fernandez, Gachisnski, the Shibs, all of whom real talents with a great future. Even World Champs like Takahashi and Chan each had their tough season after the title win. I have written about how I think Yuzuru is a rare talent and a real deal, but there is no guarantee of a straight up meteoric rise. With the temperaments of online fans, I fear for Orser if Yuzuru does not have a obstacle free course to an OGM.

Becki

Medalist
I am still a bit shocked....first thing I see this morning was this. At first I thought my eyes were fooling me, or this must be an April Fool's joke (yes I know it has passed already).

*sigh* Hopefully Brian will take good care of Yuzuru.

ohheyskaters

Rinkside
Well, regarding school, from a GS article, Haruka Imai did her last term of high school over the Internet when she moved to Yuka and Jason last season.

I wish him, Brian, and the whole partnership and arrangement the best.

doctor2014

On the Ice
I think Bestemianova and Bobrin choreographed the Romeo & Juliet program. I don't have the link to the video, but he did go to Russia and worked with them for choreo.
I checked and on the ISU bio page Nanami Abe, Natalia Bestemianova, and Igor Bobrin are all listed as Hanyu’s choreographers. I also heard that Bestemianova and Bobrin have helped to chreograph both Hanyu’s SP and LP this season.

I watched Hanyu’s programs in 2010-11 season and I didn’t like them at all. I believe those earlier programs were choreographed by Abe alone, so it seems that Bestemianova and Bobrin have really contributed to this season’s programs.

If Irina has a dime everytime the Russian fed told her to change coach, she probably would be very rich now. This is sad. I'm a bit disappointed in Hanyu.
It’s unfair to compare Slutskaya’s coach with Hanyu’s coach. Gromova has also coached famous skaters, e.g., Nikolai Morozov and Ilia Averbukh. Nanami Abe, OTOH, has never been the primary coach of any senior students before. She may not have enough experience and ability to help a world-class student improve.

Also, JSF has tried to get Hanyu to work with a world famous coach for a long time:
[Plush] has talked about Hanyu in many interviews like 2010:
“For example, the junior world champion Yuzuru Hanyu is very emotional, malleable, a brilliant athlete. He already performs the most complex elements. I was offered big money to work with him, but I refused. Firstly, because he will be my opponent...”

And Cor 2011: “Igor Bobrin worked with him, and his victory in Moscow is logical.”

redwing

Rinkside
edit, nevermind i re-read the article. Best of luck to him, I'm sure Abe wishes him the best.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Hanyu seems to like to express his emotions in the kiss and cry and even at Worlds Orser looked emotionless there with Javier not to forget when he coached Rippon.

I never watched out for this with Brian Orser, but nooooo :cry: Yuzuru and Abe, they were epic in the kiss and cry. It was such a pleasure to watch them together. And their reactions. :( I just don't understand why it is mandatory for Yuzuru to move to a big-name coach, because Nanami Abe doesn't have a succesful back catalogue to fall on. He could still keep her as Coach and let others do the choreography, if it isn't good enough for him. I know this probably sounds bitter, but she helped so much and supported him a lot. It just feels so weird, like (Caution - Extreme Exaggeration) "I'm bigger and better than this. The world finally knows what a talent I am. Okay, Abe-Coach thnks for your support - don't need you anymore. Byebye." I know it is very different and Yuzuru has every right to do what he thinks is best for his career. It is his talent. I guess, I just would've liked him to stay with her one more season or until the Olympics to see them grow up together a little more. Like Takahashi and Nagamitsu. A famous coach is not needed for success.

Becki

Medalist
I never watched out for this with Brian Orser, but nooooo :cry: Yuzuru and Abe, they were epic in the kiss and cry. It was such a pleasure to watch them together. And their reactions. :( I just don't understand why it is mandatory for Yuzuru to move to a big-name coach, because Nanami Abe doesn't have a succesful back catalogue to fall on. He could still keep her as Coach and let others do the choreography, if it isn't good enough for him. I know this probably sounds bitter, but she helped so much and supported him a lot. It just feels so weird, like (Caution - Extreme Exaggeration) "I'm bigger and better than this. The world finally knows what a talent I am. Okay, Abe-Coach thnks for your support - don't need you anymore. Byebye." I know it is very different and Yuzuru has every right to do what he thinks is best for his career. It is his talent. I guess, I just would've liked him to stay with her one more season or until the Olympics to see them grow up together a little more. Like Takahashi and Nagamitsu. A famous coach is not needed for success.

I feel the same. Nanami and Yuzuru has been through so much, I really wish they will continue to support each other!! :'( Didn't the JSF encourage Daisuke to go to Morozov at first because he needed a foreign coach to help him improve?

Part of me really like Yuzuru because of his relationship with Nanami, it's so special. I think I am attracted to Takahashi for the same season. His relationship with Nagamitsu, through the thick and thin, just touches my heart. *sigh*

Last edited:

redwing

Rinkside

I feel the same way, but I'm certain there was heavy pressure from JSF for the coaching change rather than Hanyu just dumping her.

Becki

Medalist
I feel the same way, but I'm certain there was heavy pressure from JSF for the coaching change rather than Hanyu just dumping her.

Heard through the grapevine that me JSF is paying for most of his expenses. It's hard to turn this down, especially if your federation is providing you with unlimited support. In his new book, Yuzuru said he wanted to be a Champion who trained in Japan by Japanese coaches. He mentioned this in an interview too, and he sounded pretty firm and confident about his decision back then. But I guess when the opportunity comes knocking at your door, it's hard not to change your mind and perspective.

I am not sure if anyone remembers, but last year right after the earthquake, a "foreign" coach offered to support Yuzuru. I am starting to think....could this coach have been Brian Orser?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It may not be up to Hanyu. The Japanese Skating Federation makes a lot of decisions for skaters. But given how well Nanami and Yuzuru worked out so far, I imagine they at least had some input on this change. I am at a loss as to what Orser can bring to the table for Yuzuru. Yuzuru already has wonderful programs, technique, consistency, basics, jumps and performance ability. The only thing Yuzuru still visibly lacks is stamina (even at Worlds, where he landed all his jumps, you can see he's running on pure determination and nothing else by the end of the program).

However, it may be less about what Orser and Orser's team can do for Hanyu, and more about the facilities and scheduling changes. From what I've read, in Japan, even top level skaters don't get a lot of ice time to themselves, and usually have to train in packed rinks. Yuzuru may now be able to get a lot more ice time to himself. And Yuzuru has always been very open about how competitive he is. Training alongside other top skaters will only encourage him to work harder. This could be the change needed to both boost his stamina and bring the rest of his skating to an even higher level. In this regard, I think it's a good thing.

evangeline

Record Breaker

I would definitely not be surprised if this were true. IIRC, the JSF played a big role in making Shizuka leave Richard Callaghan, and both Miki and Daisuke have spoken about how they have been heavily pressured to change their coaching teams (the JSF wanted Miki to leave Morozov, and Daisuke to find a bigger-name coach than Utako Nagamitsu).

phaeljones

On the Ice
I really would have loved to be the fly on the wall and know what really took place to make this move come about. I wonder what role Abe had in the decision or if she was just told. Did Orser poach or was he approached? Nuzuru is a seventeen year old kid, not even legal age to make a contract, so someone else other than him must have been involved. I am sure that whatever deal has been made, the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. I am also getting the sense (the Abe video at the team interview) that the decision was in the making and negotiations were under way before the final skate. It may be years, but I hope that someday the truth comes out (because I am soooooo curious).

One thing I do know though: Abe has a lot of class.

Becki

Medalist
I really would have loved to be the fly on the wall and know what really took place to make this move come about. I wonder what role Abe had in the decision or if she was just told. Did Orser poach or was he approached? Nuzuru is a seventeen year old kid, not even legal age to make a contract, so someone else other than him must have been involved. I am sure that whatever deal has been made, the t's are crossed and the i's dotted. I am also getting the sense (the Abe video at the team interview) that the decision was in the making and negotiations were under way before the final skate. It may be years, but I hope that someday the truth comes out (because I am soooooo curious).

One thing I do know though: Abe has a lot of class.

Yeah, I really like Abe. She seems like such a nice, supportive coach. Someone you can tell everything to, and she will be willing to listen and help you.

^^ What I liked about Miki and Daisuke was they slapped JFS in the face - literally. Miki wouldn't leave Morozov even though the JFS 'demanded' she should right before the Olympics. Daisuke wanted Nagamitsu to be by his side during the Olympics, and refused to go to a bigger-name coach. Apparently Nagamitsu suggested Brian Orser or have Camerlengo by his side at the K&C but Daisuke said no. But I do recognize that Yuzuru is a different case, as Serious Business mentioned, it's probably more about the facilities and ice-time. All I hope for is Nanami to be by Yuzuru's side during the Olympics :)