Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Serious Business

Record Breaker
But I do recognize that Yuzuru is a different case, as Serious Business mentioned, it's probably more about the facilities and ice-time. All I hope for is Nanami to be by Yuzuru's side during the Olympics :)

I was only speculating on the potential benefits of this change. I don't know if they were any part of the considerations involved in making it. Again, pure speculation here, but I think the people who made the decision were thinking of what Orser could impart to Yuzuru more than anything else. After all, Orser took Javier Fernandez from also-ran to serious contender (and one of Yuzuru's nearest rivals) this season, which can't escape the notice of people watching out for Yuzuru's career. Personally, I just don't see what extra bit Orser can bring because almost everything is going so, so right with Nanami, except for the stamina issue. But based on my limited knowledge of Brian Orser's coaching, he's not really known for improving that, is he?

I'm still hopeful about this change, though, primarily because I think it will improve Yuzuru's training logistics. As long as he still has a good coach who can work with him, then it's all good and getting better! I just hope Yuzuru won't get too homesick.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Heard through the grapevine that me JSF is paying for most of his expenses. It's hard to turn this down, especially if your federation is providing you with unlimited support.

Wouldn't it be cheaper if he stayed in Japan with Nanami Abe? The whole travelling thing and Brian Orser isn't the cheapest option here. While it might be true that the training conditions are better - wasn't he just training a few hours per week because of his asthma? I wonder how he will fare under a stricter schedule. I hope he won't overwork himself.

One thing I do know though: Abe has a lot of class.

I agree. I hope to see more of her. What I really hope for is that she will find another talented skater who she can help to stardom. I want to see her again, it's so sad she won't be in the big competitions anymore.

chloepoco

Medalist
I'm not sure I like this decision either, however, I hope it works out. I wonder if the family's financial issues played a part in this decision....with the disaster in his hometown, it had to have affected the family's livelihood. Perhaps JSF is providing the resources for his training, and he has no choice?

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm glad that Orser took on Hanyu. This may (all speculation on my part) be initiated by Sensei Abe herself. She may have realised that she has taught him all she could.

Also, I think Orser is just increasing his chances of getting a "second gold medal." I hope he gets it--either with Javi, or Yuzuru. Or anyone else who chooses to go to him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't think finance is an issue. Don't top Japanese skaters draw employee salaries from the big corporations? Most skaters also represent universities but class attendance seems to not be emphasized.

redwing

Rinkside
I'm glad that Orser took on Hanyu. This may (all speculation on my part) be initiated by Sensei Abe herself. She may have realised that she has taught him all she could.

Also, I think Orser is just increasing his chances of getting a "second gold medal." I hope he gets it--either with Javi, or Yuzuru. Or anyone else who chooses to go to him.

Really doubt the change was initated by Abe since as others pointed out, really isn't much Orser can add to what he has already. His lack of stamina due to severe asthma seems to be his biggest weakness.

I'm certain the JSF pressured the change and Abe had no choice other than to go along with it or risk ending her coaching career, since she's not a big name coach.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
oh, please, planet earth is crazy, don't even tempt the weather gods in Toronto ;)

1. Toronto does not find a fault to dwell on.

2. Lake tsunami is not a known phenomenon.

Weather gods in Toronto specialize in ice, snow, sleet, blizzards, blistering winter blasts and the likes but are amateurs in earthquakes and tsunamis.

blue dog

Record Breaker
While it's great that Toronto is hardly hit by natural disasters, isn't it a bit insensitive to joke about the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami, which killed over 15K people?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Stupid move. Orser hasn't turned Cao, Phaneuf into gold.

No but Javi and Elene have both improve a lot under him. I think it just depends on the skater. Yuzuru has the kind of talent you just can't teach, at this point it's more about maintaining his level, keeping him healthy, and making sure he has programs that will enable him to win. Orser can help with those things as that is what he did with Yuna.

skateflower

Match Penalty
No but Javi and Elene have both improve a lot under him. I think it just depends on the skater. Yuzuru has the kind of talent you just can't teach, at this point it's more about maintaining his level, keeping him healthy, and making sure he has programs that will enable him to win. Orser can help with those things as that is what he did with Yuna.

Help what? The choreographies Orser's team tossed out to his star students were atrocious. Yuzuru is specially partly because of his raw, fearless showmanship on ice. Technicall, there's not much Orser can teach him anyway. Artistically, no, the generic made-in-Canada skater is just too much...

Javi and Elene didn't do that well at the worlds. Orser is not a magician...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
While it's great that Toronto is hardly hit by natural disasters, isn't it a bit insensitive to joke about the Tohoku earthquake/tsunami, which killed over 15K people?

Wasn't meant to be a joke that way to belittle the suffering. It's because Hanyu has gone through enough of the trauma already and being away from the scene sometimes can be good. While it's true earthquakes and tsunamis are very unlikely in Toronto, it is certainly not immune to natural disasters. People everywhere suffer from natural disasters of different scales.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

If Yuzuru wins the Gold Medal in Sochi, it is not because he changed coaches now. This hypothetical medal is not Orsers, it is Yuzurus alone, because he is already Gold Medal material. I also doubt that Nanami Abe left Yuzuru because she didn't want to train him anymore. I wonder if Yuzuru is still too young and was pressured by his federation? He seems to have a strong will, so I doubt it. Takahashi was older when the Morozov thing happened - he was probably more outspoken on keeping Nagimitsu as coach. But then I always felt that Takahashi is a much softer character, Yuzuru seems to know exactly what he wants and has less self-doubts. This is very confusing and unless they talk about it, it'll all be speculation. I also feels a bit weird to see Yuzuru move to Canada, because in my mind he is so connected to Japan and especially Sendai. I think he is a real motivation for the people there.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is a natural talent with amazing skills. This is similar to what happened when Michelle Kwan moved to unheralded Scott Williams in 2002/2003 season. The interviewers asked Scott what he was going to teach Michelle. He said, "Nothing. It's like being given a Da Vinci painting. All I'm doing is modifying the lighting to give everyone a different perspective."

I believe that is what Orser will do for Yuzuru. Give us all a different view of this skater. Most likely the same thing Kathy Johnson will do for Patrice as well.

Becki

Medalist
If Yuzuru wins the Gold Medal in Sochi, it is not because he changed coaches now. This hypothetical medal is not Orsers, it is Yuzurus alone, because he is already Gold Medal material. I also doubt that Nanami Abe left Yuzuru because she didn't want to train him anymore. I wonder if Yuzuru is still too young and was pressured by his federation? He seems to have a strong will, so I doubt it. Takahashi was older when the Morozov thing happened - he was probably more outspoken on keeping Nagimitsu as coach. But then I always felt that Takahashi is a much softer character, Yuzuru seems to know exactly what he wants and has less self-doubts. This is very confusing and unless they talk about it, it'll all be speculation. I also feels a bit weird to see Yuzuru move to Canada, because in my mind he is so connected to Japan and especially Sendai. I think he is a real motivation for the people there.

I agree - I still think it's mind boggling Yuzuru will train in Toronto, Canada. I associate Yuzuru with Sendai and Nanami Abe (and vice versa), it's so hard to break this association.

I don't think he was particularly 'pressured' by his federation. My speculations are that JFS wanted Yuzuru to work with a big name coach, and offered him the funding and support. It's hard to turn down, especially since after the earthquake, Yuzuru's family are probably struggling financially to make ends meet (he doesn't come from a very well-off family, his dad is a softball coach and his mom is a housewife). This is purely my speculation from what I've read from articles, and other posters.

At first, I had mixed feelings about this. But the more I think about it, the situation doesn't appear too bad. Worlds are in Canada next year, he has a Canadian coach, I suspect it wouldn't do too much harm in this aspect. Yuzuru has the whole package already, he just needs some polishing here and there. The training facilities at the Cricket Club is pretty good, and he'll have a decent amount of ice-time.

On a lighter note, he'll probably have a cell phone for the first time :p

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yuzuru is a natural talent with amazing skills. This is similar to what happened when Michelle Kwan moved to unheralded Scott Williams in 2002/2003 season. The interviewers asked Scott what he was going to teach Michelle. He said, "Nothing. It's like being given a Da Vinci painting. All I'm doing is modifying the lighting to give everyone a different perspective."

I believe that is what Orser will do for Yuzuru. Give us all a different view of this skater. Most likely the same thing Kathy Johnson will do for Patrice as well.

I hope that's what Orser will do too. Yuzuru is going to him with good technique and hopefully he doesn't try to change any of it. He already has two quads and he's a good spinner. I think Orser and Wilson will help him develop his program component side of his skating more maybe get him to try a new style and music. Yuzuru ubers don't kill me, but I think his competitive programs seem to be the same type of "dramatic" music (Don't really know how to describe it) I love his skating but maybe a change in style will be a good thing (he's shown that he can skate to "fun upbeat" music in his exhibitions like change, vertigo, and somebody to love. IMO it would be cool to see him do something diff in his SP). Hopefully they keep his transitions into his axels and add even more interesting ones. I hope the JSF sends him to Nebelhorn or some other competition before the GP season starts again.

Last edited:

phaeljones

On the Ice

If this turns out to be the case, yay.

We all want the best for Yuzuru.

But I really have a queasy feeling about Brian Orser taking over as coach for Yuzuru Hanyu. I also think his philosopy is somewhat different than Scott Williams in that Orser appears to project himself as a brand (the TCC brand) and his skaters as his product. Scott Williams went at his situation differently, putting the skater first.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It'll definitely be interesting.

Orser's quite good at packaging, I feel. He's not great at improving a skater (Gao still has 2A issues, for example), so I don't think Hanyu's stamina will skyrocket or anything, but I do think Orser showcases his skaters quite well.