Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

evangeline

Record Breaker
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/skate/figure/headlines/20120425-00000044-kyodo_sp-spo.html

According to Google Translate:

Hope the men who won the bronze medal at the World Championships of figure skating, string result hub = high Tohoku Miyagi (17) =, Kim Jonah coach Canadian led to the gold medal (South Korea), Bryan Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010 -was supposed to be studied under (50) Mr. Orser. Ito figure Hidehito chairman of Japan Skating Federation on February 25, said.
In future, the activities of Canada around the Toronto author has based his leadership. According to the chairman of Ito, the decision on the intention of "I want to raise the level out overseas" hub, leaving the coach's original beauty for many years under the guidance Nana Abe in Sendai locals.

I assume "hope the men" somehow translates to 'Yuzuru Hanyu.'

Very interesting coaching change, especially as Javier Fernandez is currently training under Brian Orser as well. As Yuzuru and his (former) coach Nanami Abe seemed very close, I wonder what precipitated this coaching change.....on a more frivolous note, I wonder if we will see Brian Orser hold a Winnie the Pooh tissue box by the boards like Abe used to do for Yuzuru.

Thoughts?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team. :eek:hwell:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team. :eek:hwell:

Yes, I am definitely wondering about this too. Maybe Nanami Abe will remain on Yuzuru's coaching team but Brian Orser will be the primary coach? Something like Daisuke's old coaching situation....Daisuke also has a very long and close bond with Utako Nagamitsu, to the point that she remained on his coaching team and was listed as co-coach even when Daisuke started training under Nikolai Morozov.

I also wonder if we will see an entire style revamp for Yuzuru like what happened to Javier Fernandez this season. I already like Yuzuru's style now and I'm really not sure what to feel about this.

ohheyskaters

Rinkside
I'm mostly a lurker, but I thought I'd help translate the article.

Figure skater Hanyu's new coach, Orser, who trained Kim Yuna
The world figure skating bronze medalist, mens' singles hope, Hanyu Yuzuru (17, Miyagi, Tohoku High), has decided to be coached by Canadian coach Brian Orser, who led Kim Yuna (South Korea) to the gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. JSF chairman, Ito Hidehito, revealed on the 25th.

From now on, he'll be working with Orser who is based in Toronto, Canada. According to Chairman Ito, Hanyu's intention for this decision is, "I want to go abroad to raise my level," leaving Coach Abe Nanami who he has trained under with for many years in his local Sendai.

When I first heard the news, I thought, "Omg, let the off-season begin! :laugh:" I had a feeling it was going to happen sooner or later. I will miss him and Coach Abe together, but I always felt his ambitious personality wasn't going to let him stay with one coach in Japan forever. I wish him all the best. I'm a little worried, but a bit curious to see, how the Orser team will package him for the upcoming season. :eek:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for the translation and Welcome to GS ohheyskaters.

Surprising news but I think it will be a good change for Hanyu to go abroad. Orser is a good coach
and I think it will be a good match, tho I will miss seeing his former coach Abe at his side.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For sure it will be good for his English. Interesting to see how Hanyu and Fernandez will influence each other.

Golly! This is unexpected news. I think it will be good for both Orser and Hanyu in many ways, though of course it has its risks. I wonder how Hanyu came to make his decision.

The high school situation could be tricky. Isn't it hard to get into Japanese universities? Will Hanyu finish school in Canada and take university courses there, I wonder. I'd hate to think of him giving up university.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
Wow! I'm pretty surprised! From the way they fell into each others arms after his LP in Nice, I thought he had a pretty good relationship with his coach. Maybe the facilities, ice time etc is better in Canada? Either way, he sounds ambitious which is definitely interesting. Good luck to him!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wow! I'm pretty surprised! From the way they fell into each others arms after his LP in Nice, I thought he had a pretty good relationship with his coach. Maybe the facilities, ice time etc is better in Canada? Either way, he sounds ambitious which is definitely interesting. Good luck to him!
Maybe he feels he's outgrown his current coach.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Change is a risk and takes courage. Orser is like a demanding and proud Dad who expects hard work and dedication. I think Yuzuru will grow up under his tutelage. It's a good time for Yuz to ditch the bear and other kiddie stuff and transition to a mature style and personality.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't really think that what he did until now is Kiddie Stuff. You cannot win a bronze medal at Worlds doing kiddie stuff. I also think that Nanami Abe is extremely talented. That she chose that Romeo + Juliet program and choreographed it herself really shows that she's a a great coach. I think it'll be very hard to have another program that will have the same emotional impact on people. It's probably impossible, it only worked because Yuzuru was that young. I guess I wanted to see what they would have come up with next year and now with Orser in the mix I'm still curious, but strangely not that excited anymore. Comes down to personal taste, I guess.

ohheyskaters

Rinkside
Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.

The last verb in the article is "hanareru" which means to let go, to leave, so yeah. I don't know for sure since I don't know them personally, but I think Coach Abe and Yuzuru both know how far she could take him before he needs to move on. In Canada, he'll have more ice time, access to different facilities, and he'll be training with some of the world's best. In Sendai, it is basically just him at that elite level. Almost all his compatriots eventually go abroad to learn, it was a matter of time before he did, too.

I don't really think that what he did until now is Kiddie Stuff. You cannot win a bronze medal at Worlds doing kiddie stuff. I also think that Nanami Abe is extremely talented. That she chose that Romeo + Juliet program and choreographed it herself really shows that she's a a great coach. I think it'll be very hard to have another program that will have the same emotional impact on people. It's probably impossible, it only worked because Yuzuru was that young. I guess I wanted to see what they would have come up with next year and now with Orser in the mix I'm still curious, but strangely not that excited anymore. Comes down to personal taste, I guess.

I think Bestemianova and Bobrin choreographed the Romeo & Juliet program. I don't have the link to the video, but he did go to Russia and worked with them for choreo.

Becki

Medalist
I don't know what to believe....this is just so shocking to me. I thought he said he wanted to stay in Sendai and be a skater who was trained exclusively by Japanese coaches....

But whatever his decision, good luck! So sad......timing so bad, just when I am about to move away from Toronto he comes!! Why must you torture me like this :laugh:

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist

I agree.....a part of me was attracted to Nanami and Yuzuru's relationship. It's taking me a while to digest this.... :'(

Hope she will always be by his side, like Daisuke's coach.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
He knows what's best - that's for sure. Commentators on TV said that the programme was also choreographed by her. That's where I heard it. If it's not true, well, they were lying. :)