Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I don't really think that what he did until now is Kiddie Stuff. You cannot win a bronze medal at Worlds doing kiddie stuff. I also think that Nanami Abe is extremely talented. That she chose that Romeo + Juliet program and choreographed it herself really shows that she's a a great coach. I think it'll be very hard to have another program that will have the same emotional impact on people. It's probably impossible, it only worked because Yuzuru was that young. I guess I wanted to see what they would have come up with next year and now with Orser in the mix I'm still curious, but strangely not that excited anymore. Comes down to personal taste, I guess.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.
    The last verb in the article is "hanareru" which means to let go, to leave, so yeah. I don't know for sure since I don't know them personally, but I think Coach Abe and Yuzuru both know how far she could take him before he needs to move on. In Canada, he'll have more ice time, access to different facilities, and he'll be training with some of the world's best. In Sendai, it is basically just him at that elite level. Almost all his compatriots eventually go abroad to learn, it was a matter of time before he did, too.

I don't really think that what he did until now is Kiddie Stuff. You cannot win a bronze medal at Worlds doing kiddie stuff. I also think that Nanami Abe is extremely talented. That she chose that Romeo + Juliet program and choreographed it herself really shows that she's a a great coach. I think it'll be very hard to have another program that will have the same emotional impact on people. It's probably impossible, it only worked because Yuzuru was that young. I guess I wanted to see what they would have come up with next year and now with Orser in the mix I'm still curious, but strangely not that excited anymore. Comes down to personal taste, I guess.
    I think Bestemianova and Bobrin choreographed the Romeo & Juliet program. I don't have the link to the video, but he did go to Russia and worked with them for choreo.

Custom Title
    I don't know what to believe....this is just so shocking to me. I thought he said he wanted to stay in Sendai and be a skater who was trained exclusively by Japanese coaches....

But whatever his decision, good luck! So sad......timing so bad, just when I am about to move away from Toronto he comes!! Why must you torture me like this
    Last edited by Becki; 04-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks for translating. So they will really part ways. I really though they might do something like evangeline mentioned, with Nanami Abe still in the team, but it really sound like they will part ways. It fits Yuzurus ambitious character, that's true. I'm curious what they will produce - but still I have a weird feeling about this. The relationship with Nanami Abe seemed so special.
    I agree.....a part of me was attracted to Nanami and Yuzuru's relationship. It's taking me a while to digest this.... :'(

Hope she will always be by his side, like Daisuke's coach.

He knows what's best - that's for sure. Commentators on TV said that the programme was also choreographed by her. That's where I heard it. If it's not true, well, they were lying.

Custom Title
    Wow, I am surprised!

Like everyone here, I have always thought Yuzuru-Nanami's skater-coach situation is a great match made in heaven!
    But am glad to know, at least, they part ways on a good note, it seems.

I have no idea if Orser fits as good coach for Yuzuru at this point, or how this coaching change is to affect Javier leading up to Sochi... But, if it means Yuzu is going to work with David Wilson as a chreographer, I really look forward to it!
    Good luck to him and Orser!

Custom Title
    And Toronto is not prone to earthquakes or tsunami.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    And Toronto is not prone to earthquakes or tsunami.
    From Icenetwork (i can't post the link 'cause it's a commercial website): Hanyu will continue to attend high school in Sendai while making frequent trips to Toronto to receive instruction from Orser.

I don't think he's leaving Nanami? Just getting extra training from Orser (primary coach). So he'll be going back and forth from Sendai-Toronto. This is similar to Nobunari, who trains in Barrie for a few months per year.

I saw Brian Orser eyeing Yuzuru at the World Championships, and thought "he wants Yuzu". Can't believe this silly thought actually turned into reality. Like someone said previously, I hope he holds the Winnie the Pooh box for Yuzu during K&C.

David Wilson will give Yuzuru really good choreography, and raise his PCs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I don't know what to believe....this is just so shocking to me. I thought he said he wanted to stay in Sendai and be a skater who was trained exclusively by Japanese coaches....

But whatever his decision, good luck! So sad......timing so bad, just when I am about to move away from Toronto he comes!! Why must you torture me like this
    There could several factors in play here. Yuzuru has been vocal in the past about how much he enjoys Yu-na Kim's skating and her programs. Going to the man behind Yu-na may help him achieve that level of excellence and consistency. David Wilson (the crown jewel of Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club really) is there and Jeffrey Buttle isn't too far off. Toronto is a hot spot for elite skaters due to the quality of the coaching talent and facilities there. You can skate sleeve-less there and still feel warm. Nutrition, exercise, and various skating classes are integrated into the facility. This could address Yuzuru's past issues in regard to the quality of his past training facilities and equipment.

Details are still sparse on the particulars of the coaching arrangement.

I'm quite interested in how this will affect Orser's other student, Javier Fernandez.. Typically, coaches avoid having two students of similar skill discipline. If Yuzuru's discipline rubs off on Javier and vice-versa for Javier's technical ability, we could be in for a treat.

^^Yes, I'm relieved that he doesn't leave his whole life in Japan behind to train in Canada. School, friends and family are important, especially at 17. And Abe-Coach can still motivate him! I'm not worried if the situation is like this. Thanks for the info.

Custom Title
    To: ohheyskaters,
    Thanks a lot for translation and welcome to the forum!

P.S. I am going to miss Nanami a lot!...

Custom Title

shocked

Yes.

This is very sad. A component of Yuzuru's skates that made them so powerful was that the choreography was so attuned to his abilities and spirit. The combination of Abe and Hanyu seemed made in heaven. I have never had the same sense from watching Orser's skaters that he has ever attained or is capable of attaining that same level of cohesion.

However, odds are that Yuzuru will prevail no matter whatever coach he goes with. He seems on track to be one of the greats of all time.

There may also be secondary issues not related to skating or his coach here. Practicing in Canada will give him social space that he might not be able to get anymore in Japan.

I think that this will be more a test of Mr. Orser's abilities than Yuzuru's. Yuzuru has the talent, I am sure of that. What I am not sure of is whether Mr. Orser has equal coaching talent.

This will be a real tragedy if it goes wrong.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Might be good for him, but I'd rather see him with Nanami Abe. It's a little sad. Are they really parting ways, or will she still coach him, too? They were such a dream team.
    i don't understand why he would mess with a good thing. Of course its hard to tell on TV but they seemed to have a great relationship, he is going nowhere but up and has the technique to do it. I feel like skaters, once they reach a certain level feel like they have to switch to a "big name" coach, regardless of the implications.

Banned
    Now, I'm worrying about other students under his tutelage. Javier, Ellen, Phaneuf, Gao, etc.

I don't think it's possible to take good care of those many students. He didn't even be with Gao in US nationals. I remember when they moved to him, many fans were expecting something magical then.
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i don't understand why he would mess with a good thing. Of course its hard to tell on TV but they seemed to have a great relationship, he is going nowhere but up and has the technique to do it. I feel like skaters, once they reach a certain level feel like they have to switch to a "big name" coach, regardless of the implications.
    It really seemed like the scene was shaken up a bit. Not only new exciting skaters, but fresh wind with newer coaches, too. I also don't see the sense in moving to a coach that has dozens of other students to care for. Sometimes it feels like one half of the skaters is trained by Morozov and the other half by Orser. That's why it is a bit disappointing. It would've been a fresh and new direction for the sport and now it seems like same old/same old. But in the end it is Yuzurus decision. I just hope he won't be disappointed and his programmes next season will still proove to be special. I have a few doubts about that, but let's wait and see.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast