Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Yuzuru is a natural talent with amazing skills. This is similar to what happened when Michelle Kwan moved to unheralded Scott Williams in 2002/2003 season. The interviewers asked Scott what he was going to teach Michelle. He said, "Nothing. It's like being given a Da Vinci painting. All I'm doing is modifying the lighting to give everyone a different perspective."

I believe that is what Orser will do for Yuzuru. Give us all a different view of this skater. Most likely the same thing Kathy Johnson will do for Patrice as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    If Yuzuru wins the Gold Medal in Sochi, it is not because he changed coaches now. This hypothetical medal is not Orsers, it is Yuzurus alone, because he is already Gold Medal material. I also doubt that Nanami Abe left Yuzuru because she didn't want to train him anymore. I wonder if Yuzuru is still too young and was pressured by his federation? He seems to have a strong will, so I doubt it. Takahashi was older when the Morozov thing happened - he was probably more outspoken on keeping Nagimitsu as coach. But then I always felt that Takahashi is a much softer character, Yuzuru seems to know exactly what he wants and has less self-doubts. This is very confusing and unless they talk about it, it'll all be speculation. I also feels a bit weird to see Yuzuru move to Canada, because in my mind he is so connected to Japan and especially Sendai. I think he is a real motivation for the people there.
    I agree - I still think it's mind boggling Yuzuru will train in Toronto, Canada. I associate Yuzuru with Sendai and Nanami Abe (and vice versa), it's so hard to break this association.

I don't think he was particularly 'pressured' by his federation. My speculations are that JFS wanted Yuzuru to work with a big name coach, and offered him the funding and support. It's hard to turn down, especially since after the earthquake, Yuzuru's family are probably struggling financially to make ends meet (he doesn't come from a very well-off family, his dad is a softball coach and his mom is a housewife). This is purely my speculation from what I've read from articles, and other posters.

At first, I had mixed feelings about this. But the more I think about it, the situation doesn't appear too bad. Worlds are in Canada next year, he has a Canadian coach, I suspect it wouldn't do too much harm in this aspect. Yuzuru has the whole package already, he just needs some polishing here and there. The training facilities at the Cricket Club is pretty good, and he'll have a decent amount of ice-time.

On a lighter note, he'll probably have a cell phone for the first time :P

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Yuzuru is a natural talent with amazing skills. This is similar to what happened when Michelle Kwan moved to unheralded Scott Williams in 2002/2003 season. The interviewers asked Scott what he was going to teach Michelle. He said, "Nothing. It's like being given a Da Vinci painting. All I'm doing is modifying the lighting to give everyone a different perspective."

I believe that is what Orser will do for Yuzuru. Give us all a different view of this skater. Most likely the same thing Kathy Johnson will do for Patrice as well.
    I hope that's what Orser will do too. Yuzuru is going to him with good technique and hopefully he doesn't try to change any of it. He already has two quads and he's a good spinner. I think Orser and Wilson will help him develop his program component side of his skating more maybe get him to try a new style and music. Yuzuru ubers don't kill me, but I think his competitive programs seem to be the same type of "dramatic" music (Don't really know how to describe it) I love his skating but maybe a change in style will be a good thing (he's shown that he can skate to "fun upbeat" music in his exhibitions like change, vertigo, and somebody to love. IMO it would be cool to see him do something diff in his SP). Hopefully they keep his transitions into his axels and add even more interesting ones. I hope the JSF sends him to Nebelhorn or some other competition before the GP season starts again.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-25-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post

If this turns out to be the case, yay.

We all want the best for Yuzuru.

But I really have a queasy feeling about Brian Orser taking over as coach for Yuzuru Hanyu. I also think his philosopy is somewhat different than Scott Williams in that Orser appears to project himself as a brand (the TCC brand) and his skaters as his product. Scott Williams went at his situation differently, putting the skater first.

Custom Title
    It'll definitely be interesting.

Orser's quite good at packaging, I feel. He's not great at improving a skater (Gao still has 2A issues, for example), so I don't think Hanyu's stamina will skyrocket or anything, but I do think Orser showcases his skaters quite well.

Custom Title
    Orser is in a no win situation. Hanyu is already proclaimed to be the OGM material all on his own and Orser has already been preemptively denied any credit for Hanyu's future success. But surely it would be all his fault if Hanyu does not live up to the lofty expectation/hype which is really too much too early to put on such a young person.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Orser is in a no win situation. Hanyu is already proclaimed to be the OGM material all on his own and Orser has already been preemptively denied any credit for Hanyu's future success. But surely it would be all his fault if Hanyu does not live up to the lofty expectation/hype which is really too much too early to put on such a young person.
    That's a bit melodramatic, innit? I'm sure Orser is looking forward to working with Hanyu and vice versa. And in the likely event that Hanyu continues to succeed, Orser is going to get credited by the JSF, other federations and skaters who may consider moving to him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    That's a bit melodramatic, innit? I'm sure Orser is looking forward to working with Hanyu and vice versa. And in the likely event that Hanyu continues to succeed, Orser is going to get credited by the JSF, other federations and skaters who may consider moving to him.
    Didn't you read some of the posts in this thread where this sentiment was spelled out? As I expressed earlier, even the most talented persons/athletes/skaters don't have a guaranteed straight path to the summit, but so often blame seems to be quickly needed whenever there is a disappointment, temporary it may be.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Didn't you read some of the posts in this thread where this sentiment was spelled out? As I expressed earlier, even the most talented persons/athletes/skaters don't have a guaranteed straight path to the summit, but so often blame seems to be quickly needed whenever there is a disappointment, temporary it may be.
    Orser will be fine! He survived the dissolution of his partnership with Yuna kim, he can survive whatever horrors that may be in store in working with Yuzuru.

Custom Title
    I still think it is more to do with JSF making a political and strategic move than about Hanyu.

World Championship next year take place in Canada says alot (Javier scored great in Canada), and the track record of what Orser's team have done for Yuna who were similarly ready made when she went to him, just have some injury problems that require better management and pacing makes him a suitable candidate, a great COP team. If it doesn't work out, I am fairly certain the kids will move to a Russian coach next season for Sochi.
    Last edited by os168; 04-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Orser will be fine! He survived the dissolution of his partnership with Yuna kim, he can survive whatever horrors that may be in store in working with Yuzuru.
    I have to say he appreciates talents and likes challenges.

Morozombie's take on this . Pretty straight up and agreeable.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Brian Orser has a big responsibility in taking on a seventeen year old phenomenal skater for whom there are very high expectations. If the kid does not continue to develop, for sure people are going to point the finger at Orser. I would think that Orser knows and accepts that. Everyone is watching this one carefully.
    Last edited by phaeljones; 04-25-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: thought better of what I wrote

Banned
    This is so laughable. If Orser is in a no win situation, why was he willing to take on Hanyu then? Is he really that desperate for fame? Of course, he has to take responsibility and/or blame for his skater's future success or failure. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, well, he can say 'no' to Hanyu.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    I agree that it is true that Orser is in a no-win situation if most people don't think he is a good enough coach for as talented a skater as Hanyu. But Orser's reputation (good or bad) isn't based on thin air and people seem to have very strong opinions in this regard.

Realistically though: If everything goes right, kudos all around. But if this kid i(coming to him at 17 already as bronze medalist) is broken, yes Mr. Orser is going to have to share a huge portion of the blame. He has a big responsibility. An "oh well, it didn't work" shrug just won't cut it. If he hasn't figured that out, he should not be Hanyu's coach.

But, as always , Orser will find excuses, if he is broken. I'm expecting his excuses for Gao's not growing under his wings for 3 years. Same placement in US nationals 3 years ago.

I'm wondering. Is there any student he is coaching independently without Wilson's choreography?

Of course, Wilson independently choreographs many skaters all over the world. (Korpi, Joubert,Takahashi,Kim,Chan,etcetera,,, etcetera)
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Medalist
    Brian Boitano won the Olympics with his one and only long time coach Linda Lever. I love Yuzuru's Coach Abe, they sparkled together in the Kiss and Cry and will miss seeing them together. They seemed to have such a special relationship. It will be sad not to see Abe with Yuzuru at the Olympics!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast