Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    This is so laughable. If Orser is in a no win situation, why was he willing to take on Hanyu then? Is he really that desperate for fame? Of course, he has to take responsibility and/or blame for his skater's future success or failure. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, well, he can say 'no' to Hanyu.
    That was my personal comment based exactly on posts like this. Orser does not operate from my POV. He is a professional, working and making decision on his own criteria instead of fan board opinions.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Like all coaches before him, Orser will be just fine if one of his students don't live up to expectations under his tutelage. I mean goodness, when has that ever ruined an established coach's career? Or are we seriously worried about how a grown, mature man who has handled losing the famed Battle of the Brians, being outted by a vengeful ex, and the coaching breakup with Yuna Kim which came with all sorts of seething recriminations from the public, to be unable to deal with the potential disappointment in a young student's career? Orser has been through some of the worst, most stressful public situations anybody can go through and came through to do even better.

I'm more worried about how Yuzuru might handle having a new coach and living in a new country, but really, not that worried. Yuzuru has proven to be plenty tough in his short, and (so far) less dramatic life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Orser is in a no win situation. Hanyu is already proclaimed to be the OGM material all on his own and Orser has already been preemptively denied any credit for Hanyu's future success. But surely it would be all his fault if Hanyu does not live up to the lofty expectation/hype which is really too much too early to put on such a young person.
    I think only one poster expressed this sentiment, so there's no need to be so dramatic about it. This coaching change could be a good thing for Hanyu w/the intro of new styles. I would say that Hanyu is going to Orser is similar to Kim going to Orser since they both had solid jumps and techniques when they went. If anything, once Hanyu's style has evolved and he is still with Orser, Orser will most likely be credited with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimganos View Post
    Brian Boitano won the Olympics with his one and only long time coach Linda Lever. I love Yuzuru's Coach Abe, they sparkled together in the Kiss and Cry and will miss seeing them together. They seemed to have such a special relationship. It will be sad not to see Abe with Yuzuru at the Olympics!
    I agree. It's up to student's talent. Even the great Stanislav Zhuk used to say to his peer coaches and students. ''Don't work with mediocrity, but work with talent” . On the contrary, immature and unexperienced coaches are exaggerating their roles. But, I understand their situations. They got to earn money from mediocres' parents. As You know,the mediocre always outnumber the talents by the large margin.

Stanislav Zhuk didn't need to flatter mediocre students. In Soviet society, he got paychecks from the State, not from students. He acknowledged that coach is not omnipotent and limitless. He knows the limitation. That made him the greatest coach.

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Irina Rodnina won 2 Olympic Gold medals after they left him. Ironically,that explains why Great zhuk was right.
    Last edited by johnny 80; 04-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I think only one poster expressed this sentiment, so there's no need to be so dramatic about it. This coaching change could be a good thing for Hanyu w/the intro of new styles. I would say that Hanyu is going to Orser is similar to Kim going to Orser since they both had solid jumps and techniques when they went. If anything, once Hanyu's style has evolved and he is still with Orser, Orser will most likely be credited with that.
    Orser's track record as a coach is not particularly stellar considering the hype and the number of talents he has got. He'll try to make Hanyun another Yu Na Kim but I highly doubt they're a good fit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Adeliza View Post
    Wow, this is surprising. I'm actually a bit worried about Yuzuru's future programme coreographies... I think Nanami Abe did great work with Yuzu's SP and LP this year and I really hope we're going to see him skating to some wonderful programmes in the future, too. I wonder why would he leave his long-time coach now that everything seems to be so fine... :/

As phaeljones said, this will be a test for Orser especially. I'm looking forward to the next season to see what happens with Yuzuru (and all the other skaters too, of course).

(Sorry for my bad English, it's hard to find the right words with a foreign language.)
    Adeliza, welcome to the forum!

No, no, do not worry about your English. You are doing just fine!
    I have already made mistakes a million times since the Valentine's Day. But they did not kick me out of this forum, well just yet.
    If I can survise, so you can!

Hanyu will do great with Orsr and company. Won't hurt to try. Thumbs up!

Rinkside
    Is there any way we as fans can convince them to change this? It seems as though many of use are opposed to it, or are at least very iffy about it. I know there's probably not much we can do, but is it possible to at least contact Yuzuru or the JSF to try and talk to them about it?
    Personally I'm extremely opposed to this change. I feel like it will do him no good at all, and will only make him worse. He's already been improving by leaps and bounds in the past few years. Yes his first year as a senior fantastic, but this year he just exploded in the figure skating world. Obviously he's making a lot of progress. I don't understand any rationale behind the change at all besides maybe the fact that Orser is a more well-known coach. I don't think Orser can help improve Yuzuru's stamina at all. What is he going to do? Give Yuzuru special techniques to train with? All athletes know that endurance comes with long practice and training your body to become used to hard work, nothing Orser does differently from Abe is going to change that. Wilson as a choreographer also worries me. I think Yuzuru's programs this year were choreographed excellently. And as for technique, Yuzuru already has his quad and triple axel down pretty consistently, I don't see what much more Orser could do for him.
    Plus, yes like everyone else said, I love the relationship between Yuzuru and Nanami. Also, if Abe doesn't even get a chance to prove her ability as a coach, Japan is never going to be able to show off their amazing coaches. Yuzuru I don't think is very willing to make the switch. I just want to know if there's any way for us fans to communicate with him/JSF to protest this change.

Rinkside
    Well then that's horrible. It seems an awful lot like blackmailing to me: "If you want us to keep helping you with your finances, you better find a big name coach, or ELSE." Like what the heck. That's not cool.

I was surprise with both announcements for Patrick and Yuzuru. I want them both to skate to their potential. Though i love Daisuke too of course. Remember Daisuke went to Morozov, and iam sure learned something from him and returned to his coach Utako Nagamitsu. Perhaps returning to his old coach after learning something new was good for him. Perhaps Yuzuru can do the same.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by suezeeq View Post
    Well then that's horrible. It seems an awful lot like blackmailing to me: "If you want us to keep helping you with your finances, you better find a big name coach, or ELSE." Like what the heck. That's not cool.
    Well no, it's not like blackmail at all.

If JSF is really making Hanyu switch coaches in order to receive funding, then it's perfectly within their right to do so (if allowed by the federation's stipulations for funding), since they're GIVING him money. It's only extortion/blackmail if they're threatening to harm him/reveal harmful information unless he complies with their requests, which hardly seems the case here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    Stupid move. Orser hasn't turned Cao, Phaneuf into gold.
    Hmmm, maybe, just maybe some skaters are hopeless cases, who ever the coach might be...

Custom Title
    I sense that a lot of us having been holding back on what really bothers us about this until the facts come out better. But here it goes anyway:

I hope this is not the case but consider this scenario: Think of yourself as a coach who takes a kid and does everything right, getting the best possible result, not just for a short while but over the long term, and not just on a local level but on a world level. Then, when your seventeen skater wins the bronze, he tells you that you are fired. He tells you he needs a better coach. But he tells you that he wants you to work with him still as a secondary coach while is he is back in Sendai. Effectively, he has told you, "You are fired."

If this is the scenario that has played out here, it really speaks badly about Yuzuru's character. There are those who will say it is nothing personal and the sport is only about winning. This is the nature of the sport and so what. To those people, I would reply that everything in life is personal and this coach got him results better than anyone else has achieved with any other skater. But more importantly: Nothing is more important in life than the values you live by.

If Yuzuru really cares about Abe and the facts are otherwise, he should clear the air. There may be reasons behind the scenes preventing him from doing so now, but when the opportunity arises he should. Why? Because he owes it to Abe.

Ambition is no excuse to kicking a good person in the teeth. Neither is being the greatest skater in the world. (Some here disagree with me, I know, but I am just trying to explain what really bothers me personally here.)

I really don't know what happened here. What I saw at the world's I thought was an incredibly great person on and off the ice. Unless I am missing something (and there may be something that has not been disclosed), what has happened with Abe afterward really begs the question about his real character. It may not affect what I think about his skating, but it will affect what I think about him as a person. I will hold my judgment and give him the benefit of a doubt until it comes out, but I really wonder what went on here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Hmmm, maybe, just maybe some skaters are hopeless cases, who ever the coach might be...
    If so what is the point of going to coaches? Otherwise I can be a coach, it is your fault if you suck!
    Besides, I doubt Cao is that stupid, she is going to Harvard you know

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    I sense that a lot of us having been holding back on what really bothers us about this until the facts come out better. But here it goes anyway:

I hope this is not the case but consider this scenario: Think of yourself as a coach who takes a kid and does everything right, getting the best possible result, not just for a short while but over the long term, and not just on a local level but on a world level. Then, when your seventeen skater wins the bronze, he tells you that you are fired. He tells you he needs a better coach. But he tells you that he wants you to work with him still as a secondary coach while is he is back in Sendai. Effectively, he has told you, "You are fired."

If this is the scenario that has played out here, it really speaks badly about Yuzuru's character. There are those who will say it is nothing personal and the sport is only about winning. This is the nature of the sport and so what. To those people, I would reply that everything in life is personal and this coach got him results better than anyone else has achieved with any other skater. But more importantly: Nothing is more important in life than the values you live by.

If Yuzuru really cares about Abe and the facts are otherwise, he should clear the air. There may be reasons behind the scenes preventing him from doing so now, but when the opportunity arises he should. Why? Because he owes it to Abe.

Ambition is no excuse to kicking a good person in the teeth. Neither is being the greatest skater in the world. (Some here disagree with me, I know, but I am just trying to explain what really bothers me personally here.)

I really don't know what happened here. What I saw at the world's I thought was an incredibly great person on and off the ice. Unless I am missing something (and there may be something that has not been disclosed), what has happened with Abe afterward really begs the question about his real character. It may not affect what I think about his skating, but it will affect what I think about him as a person. I will hold my judgment and give him the benefit of a doubt until it comes out, but I really wonder what went on here.
    Please calm down. I doubt VERY MUCH this decision comes from Hanyu alone but more likely the federations invested in him, the sport agents who benefit from his rise and break the deal. There are alot of interests beside his own is at stake here when we are talking about building a star, an Olympic medal and everything else with it etc.

He is just a 17 year old kid who probably don't know that much but skating, and just want to be obedient to everyone else around him very much in line with the typical Asian culture where the young are generally expect to obey the 'wisdom' of the elders, and to deny these 'valuable' advice would be very much frowned upon on especially as one as fresh as Hanyu. It takes a few years before they are toughen up, become more worldly like Dai and Miki were able to say no to JSF's micromanagement.
    Last edited by os168; 04-26-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast