Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu changes coach to Brian Orser

melkaz

Spectator
Hi, Becki ! May I correct you regarding Yuzuru's father's profession? He is a Vice-Principal of one of Sendai's Junior High School, and also he used to be a mathematics teacher at Junior High School. He coaches baseball voluntarily.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
Robeye, that's a wonderful analysis. I can bear out the premise that sometimes the best teacher isn't the best doer. Years ago, I went to an art class over the summer. In my room, the drawing teacher was amazingly articulate, clear, and helpful. Everyone benefited from his commentary, even people who were just onlookers as he went over someone else's drawings. Some of his work was on display, and it was pedestrian at best. In the next room was the watercolor instructor. He could barely talk. If he wanted to let you know something, he had to paint on your picture and demonstrate. But his work was everything a watercolor should be. I once watched him make an ocean wave on a sheet of paper. A flick of the wrist and two strokes, and he made a curve of water with sunlight shining through part of it. And this was in watercolor, perhaps the least forgiving of media: you can't go over a section to correct it, as you can with oil, acrylic, pastel, or pencil. What's more, the inarticulate watercolor artist was a native English speaker, whereas the articulate drawing teacher learned English as an adult. Some people are just born to teach--as Frank Carroll clearly was, and a few others.

I had a good feeling about Brian Orser in this regard throughout his work with YuNa. I don't know what he did exactly: did he refine her jump technique? Just keep her from losing what she had naturally? Bring out her artistic voice? Whatever else he did, he certainly seems to have protected her from the almost incomparable pressure she faced. As a teacher, he seems to have crafted the best possible relationship with a student during a time when the stakes were as high as they could get. The collaboration between Orser and Kim created an unbelievable trajectory straight up. (Which made it all the more upsetting when they split, but that's another story). Clearly he's a good coach, and time may prove that he's a great one. I think Hanyu would be an ideal student for him, and I hope this is how things turn out.

As for the politics of the situation, I am illiterate on such things in general, so I will refrain from commenting. Let the future show itself in its own time.

he is useless after Sochi. I heard His image is worst in Korea, which will hold 2018 Olympics. Nobody would dare to sit with him in K&C in 2018. If he acted wise like Priscilla Hill when he parted with his student, he could be a hero in Korea now. and That would be good for his business,too.

Orser needs to learn basic coaching skills now. I don't think he knows those basics as a coach. how to cope with the situations when students leave the coach.. how to react students in K&C when they underperformed.

http://figureskating.about.com/b/2011/03/29/losing-a-figure-skating-student-ouch-it-hurts.htm

Orser never would imagine Korea hold the 2018 winter olympics when he made a fuss and manipulated media. I think he is not that smart when I saw him act like Guru or Yoda right after Olympics. That's OK anyway, but I didn't imagine he is that stupid to manipulate media over his ex-student and her parent. even revealed her next season programs,which he was not supposed to.

And, I don't think he acted it all by himself. He even cannot do a coaching job independently. Only thing what I can say Now is ''Stupid and mean''. ''Totally useless and meaningless thing''. I don't know whether he is puppet or not, and I don't want to know.......... But, It is Orser who got to live with what he did.

I recommend to skaters Michelle Kwan or David Wilson for a coach in 2018 olympics ,which will make good impressions on Koreans and spectators. Of course , I doubt it ... Kwan is busy, and Wilson is shy.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
he is useless after Sochi. I heard His image is worst in Korea, which will hold 2018 Olympics. Nobody would dare to sit with him in K&C in 2018. If he acted wise like Priscilla Hill when he parted with his student, he could be a hero in Korea now. and That would be good for his business,too.

Orser needs to learn basic coaching skills now. I don't think he knows those basics as a coach. how to cope with the situations when students leave the coach.. how to react students in K&C when they underperformed.

http://figureskating.about.com/b/2011/03/29/losing-a-figure-skating-student-ouch-it-hurts.htm

Orser never would imagine Korea hold the 2018 winter olympics when he made a fuss and manipulated media. I think he is not that smart when I saw him act like Guru or Yoda right after Olympics. That's OK anyway, but I didn't imagine he is that stupid to manipulate media over his ex-student and her parent. even revealed her next season programs,which he was not supposed to.

And, I don't think he acted it all by himself. He even cannot do a coaching job independently. Only thing what I can say Now is ''Stupid and mean''. ''Totally useless and meaningless thing''. I don't know whether he is puppet or not, and I don't want to know.......... But, It is Orser who got to live with what he did.

I recommend to skaters Michelle Kwan or David Wilson for a coach in 2018 olympics ,which will make good impressions on Koreans and spectators. Of course , I doubt it ... Kwan is busy, and Wilson is shy.

It's funny how before the breakup, Yuna's fans were singing Brian's praises. After the breakup, all of a sudden, he's a coach who doesn't know how to coach; he didn't do anything, it was all David Wilson...blah, blah, blah. So predictable.

johnny 80

Match Penalty
It's funny how before the breakup, Yuna's fans were singing Brian's praises. After the breakup, all of a sudden, he's a coach who doesn't know how to coach; he didn't do anything, it was all David Wilson...blah, blah, blah. So predictable.

How do you know what the hell I thought then? Are you some kind of intellectual snob? Do you believe all media is saying? I didn't praise him. I don't believe that kind of fairy tales in this real world. Even Frank got the first student as OGM in Vancouver after 40 years of his coaching job.

I didn't like his bragging about himself even before olympics. In long interview with NBC , He acted like Guru.
On the contrary, Carrol humbly said he didn't expect OGM from Evan that much.

Orser has nothing special then and now. he doesn't have coaching experience. That was the total luck.. If he had coaching experience at least for 5 years before he took Kim as a student , I would think differently.

Most of all, after Kim left him, I don't see any skater under his tutelage advance after he/she comes to him. He should stop poaching excellent students who come to get choreography from Wilson. All he needs now is learning basic coaching skills and starting his independent coaching job without David... It is not too late.

Last edited:

suezeeq

Spectator
Oh my goodness guys, let's not start bashing on Orser now. He may not be all that great but good sportsmanship is always important. ^__^ Anyway.
Even after like 2 weeks of thinking about this, I still don't see how this could help Yuzuru any. Like honestly, even after reading all the posts on this thread and the thoughts on other people's blogs and trying to reason it out in my head, I don't see the logic behind this change. Maybe it won't be absolutely detrimental to Yuzuru; for that, only time can tell. But why initiate it in the first place? I think Nanami was doing a perfectly fine job of getting this 17 year old prodigy to improve by leaps and bounds in the past few years. If it was Yuzuru's agency (imagining that he has one), or the JSF, that forced this change, I really need to question their sanity. Aside from the fact that Orser might be "a bigger name" coach, there's no real reason to make the switch. Even if Yuzuru will be training in Canada, which is the location of the next WC, it's really not going to give him much of and advantage. Plus the Olympics are not going to be in Canada, so the change makes no sense.

There's a saying that goes "don't change horses midstream". Of course Nanami is not a horse, but it's the same basic concept. Why change something that's working fine and take the risk of it making things worse? The whole shenanigan just seems reaaaal funny to me. And I still doubt those people who say Yuzuru or Nanami initiated the change themselves. It goes against every grain of my being and it goes against everything I see when he skates and during the K&C and on documentaries about him and it goes against everything he said about Nanami and nope it just doesn't seem right.

periperi

On the Ice
Woah, gone for a few days and a lot has happened. I'm really surprised to hear this news. While I'm not against the idea of Hanyu leaving Abe--although it does sadden me a bit as they seem very close (and Pooh Bear...)--I don't think Orser is the coach who will really help Hanyu improve in the areas I think he could use improvement on, which is in the unattractive looseness to his skating, although his skating skills are improved from where they were the previous year. He was looser and sloppier, particularly in his stroking, than he is now, but there is still room for improvement and I'm skeptical if Orser is the best coach for the job here. I wish them the best of luck.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I haven't commented on this change, but is it possible that one of the motivators for the change is similar to one of Yu Na's motivations? Perhaps he wants to get away from adoring fans and reporters while he is training?

treeloving

Medalist
Oh my goodness guys, let's not start bashing on Orser now. He may not be all that great but good sportsmanship is always important. ^__^ Anyway.
Even after like 2 weeks of thinking about this, I still don't see how this could help Yuzuru any. Like honestly, even after reading all the posts on this thread and the thoughts on other people's blogs and trying to reason it out in my head, I don't see the logic behind this change. Maybe it won't be absolutely detrimental to Yuzuru; for that, only time can tell. But why initiate it in the first place? I think Nanami was doing a perfectly fine job of getting this 17 year old prodigy to improve by leaps and bounds in the past few years. If it was Yuzuru's agency (imagining that he has one), or the JSF, that forced this change, I really need to question their sanity. Aside from the fact that Orser might be "a bigger name" coach, there's no real reason to make the switch. Even if Yuzuru will be training in Canada, which is the location of the next WC, it's really not going to give him much of and advantage. Plus the Olympics are not going to be in Canada, so the change makes no sense.

There's a saying that goes "don't change horses midstream". Of course Nanami is not a horse, but it's the same basic concept. Why change something that's working fine and take the risk of it making things worse? The whole shenanigan just seems reaaaal funny to me. And I still doubt those people who say Yuzuru or Nanami initiated the change themselves. It goes against every grain of my being and it goes against everything I see when he skates and during the K&C and on documentaries about him and it goes against everything he said about Nanami and nope it just doesn't seem right.

THank you very much for this comment! (and OS168 too) :bow:

You summary everything I feel, I say after found out that he now has his own website that I will miss Pre agent Yuzuru, I never know that things I fear will come this quick.

for me, It's hard to feel the same about him after this news is released; it just destroy what I used to believe. :disapp:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I haven't commented on this change, but is it possible that one of the motivators for the change is similar to one of Yu Na's motivations? Perhaps he wants to get away from adoring fans and reporters while he is training?

I'm wondering what's the environment for Daisuke Takahashi's training? Shouldn't Takahashi be having many more adoring fans and reporters in Japan? After all, they've followed Takahashi around the world.

Hanaka

Rinkside

While Hanyu is a hope of Japan and a new rising star of Japanese FS, I don't think he is as popular as Takahashi right now, maybe he will be in the future, but not now. Takahashi is extremely popular among fs fans and has a lot of passionate and devoted fans who follow him everywhere he goes, and becoming more and more popular now among casual watchers. But when it comes to popularity, I must say Mao is really exceptional. She is more than a figure skater in Japan. She is an idol of Japan. In this area, no Japanes skater can't touch her, Midori, Shizuka, Miki and Yuka, even these ladies champions can't touch her. She has somthing that she was naturally born with, that people can't help love . And generally in Japan ladies fs is more popular than mens fs.
What I want to say here is : I don't think Hanyu has urgent need to get away from fans and media at present.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Am I close to some truth to say that Mao represents an ideal while Daisuke is a guilty pleasure for his many devoted and passionate Aunties?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I suspect it's more of an ice time issue. One of the reasons he did so many shows after the tsunami was because it got him ice time, and we've heard that the popularity of the sport has led to overcrowding of rinks in general/less ice time for the elite (I recall Takakashi mentioning this once).

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

He comes off as someone who enjoys the limelight. I think he or the JSF is more attracted to dedicated skating facilities. I keep reading about how it's difficult for Japanese skaters to get time to practice in domestic ice rinks during non-Olympic years. I imagine the damage from the earthquake didn't help matters.

suezeeq

Spectator
THank you very much for this comment! (and OS168 too) :bow:

You summary everything I feel, I say after found out that he now has his own website that I will miss Pre agent Yuzuru, I never know that things I fear will come this quick.

for me, It's hard to feel the same about him after this news is released; it just destroy what I used to believe. :disapp:

LOL Thanks :)

I suspect it's more of an ice time issue. One of the reasons he did so many shows after the tsunami was because it got him ice time, and we've heard that the popularity of the sport has led to overcrowding of rinks in general/less ice time for the elite (I recall Takakashi mentioning this once).

Well I don't see how the ice time has affected any of the other amazing Japanese skaters. Doesn't Daisuke train in Osaka, Japan? I think that might be a private rink because it's part of the university but I'm sure if Yuzuru wanted to he could find something similar. And Mao trains mostly in Japan too. So does Kanako... And Miki... And Akiko... and Takahiko. They all travel abroad sometimes but their main coach is still Japanese and they still train in Japan. I think if ice time was the only issue, Yuzuru could easily find some other rink besides Sendai to travel to which would be much cheaper than going overseas. I don't know if Nanami would be willing to travel there with him, but I doubt that she would leave her star pupil if she had a choice.