Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: World Ice Dance Heats up !

Custom Title
    Fair enough, doris. Going back to 2008, then, we see D/W are 11.59 points behind B/A, excluding the CD. The trimmed that by over nine points by 2009.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    However in 2009, they won 4CC's (Tanith and Ben were unable to compete), and Tessa was still recovering from her first surgery.

And that still wasn't enough for them to medal at Worlds, despite having the free dance of the season and the performance of the night in 2009. And they didn't pass V&M, let alone B&A there.

So it takes a while to unseat a former Olympic silver medallist team in the US as the top team here.

Custom Title
    The question (as asked by heyhey): Can the Hubbells challenge the Shibs at Nationals next season based on how close they were at worlds this year?

My answer: Unlikely - the SD for the next two seasons favours the Shibs (and specifically hinders people like Donohue, who is quite tall. He has admitted his own worry about the YP next season already). However, given the point spreads, we have seen teams make up that distance in the past: namely Davis/White over Belbin/Agosto.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 04-29-2012 at 03:00 PM.

OK, I thought it was about H&D overtaking D&W, and I don't think that's possible by Sochi, when D&W will be retiring, I think. The Shibs are hard workers, very musical, and very precise skaters, ordinarily.

I wouldn't be surprised to see C&B pass H&D this next year, although the YP will be a stretch for them, too, due to Evan's size.

Custom Title
    Evan's size is a challenge for them, generally. Last year Marina had her standing on his skates so much, Maddie reminded me of those rag dolls you can attach to your shoes.

OTOH, they had some unique lifts, that were enabled by size difference.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Evan's size is a challenge for them, generally. Last year Marina had her standing on his skates so much, Maddie reminded me of those rag dolls you can attach to your shoes.
    Besides the unappealing visual, I can't imagine that is enjoyable for Evan to have to shorten every stride and move constantly so that he doesn't leave Madison stranded behind. This is where I think having a more proportionally matched partner helps your overall ability to move in synch with equal speed/strength. Dance lifts can always be worked out with ingenuity, it's been that way forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see C&B pass H&D this next year, although the YP will be a stretch for them, too, due to Evan's size.
    I really hope this doesn't happen. Chock and Bates are so boring!

Custom Title
    Of the re-mixed teams in the US last year, H&D look the most promising to me, and they have excellent coaches and choreographers. The Shibutanis have all the skills, are very well matched, and could really take off with the right material.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2