Can Agnes Zawadzki break through next season? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Agnes Zawadzki break through next season?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
you know Daisy, packaging is so important now in FS. Look at what Peggy and Doro wore to their gold medals. Fast forward 20 years ago 94 Olympics to see what Nancy wore. I loved MK's Vera Wangs. So Agnes must compete packaging wise and judges clearly go for the feminine beauties. Korpi isn't that good. She is awkward, but she does well wit the judges, yes?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You're right. The right costume and packaging can make a big difference. I think about Kwan in 1996 and think about not much changed about her skating from 1995. For me, there was a huge difference in her quality in 1998 vs 1996, much more so than 1996 vs 1995, although in 96 she was getting as good marks as she ever had.

She looks so beautiful in dresses like this:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/eDVs...ting+Championships/rtXnwGJuHCM/Agnes+Zawadzki

Maybe she feels that sleeves restrict her arm movement, because she wears a lot of sleeveless dresses.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love this on her, and I love ethnic looking costumes from Eastern Europe/Russia. I think it reminds me of those stunning costumes Bobek had during her competition days. Also Sasha's Dark Eyes costume. I'm sorry, I don't see Agnes as pretty in a sea of stunning ladies/girls but she can max what she had.

Oh boy, my cat's freaking out-the plumber is trying to fix the toilet. OT but poor Otis just climbed the wall! (I need 4 tiny skates-he can really jump, LOL!) Such a great saturday night. UGH.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This discussion is almost making me hope she goes out and proves you guys wrong.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wrong bout what? Beauty counts and she must max her gifts in any area...she needs the whole package to win, esp with Wagner showing she has it all. Amazing clean programs will be rewarded, we all wish, but pageant aspect is there always.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah, that's not true. Of course the skating matters, but being more physically appealing is pretty much ALWAYS helpful. You need people to be interested in you and aesthetics is an ever-present element that people are influenced by.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Beauty does NOT count. Nor does the outfit the skater wears. What matters is the skating.

Are you saying the skating is the only thing that SHOULD matter or DOES matter? I think it's ok that the things the skater has control over have an impact. Skating is a performance sport and the right costume and make-up can really enhance the overall impact of a performance (for me anyway). I don't think looks have a huge impact but may help in some marginal cases in which a federation was to promote the most marketable athlete.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Do you mean actual physical beauty--facial features that you are born with, for example, or do you mean skating pretty as in "delicate, wispy, willowy, ultra-feminine, princessy" style?

Agnes doesn't strike me as a willowy princess. She needs to find a style in which she's not forcing herself into that mold. At her best, she seemed like a tough, sexy spitfire. Skating to "Whatever Lola Wants" is a good choice for her--it's sort of brash and bold. But sadly, I can see her coaches having her skate to the soft strands of the mournful violin next season, in the hopes she can beat the likes of Alissa Czisny at her own game .
All of this is a moot point if she can't do a good long program, though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
All of this is a moot point if she can't do a good long program, though.

EXACTLY. It is. Before any talk of this beauty stuff, she FIRST has to get through a long program. THAT is what is holding her back right now. And dare I say it is the ONLY thing holding her back right now.

I think there MIGHT be a bias towards "prettier skaters" in close calls (see mentions of "pretty points" earlier) but I do think the subject is vastly overblown, overrated and over-discussed by skating fans.

Is this her mental thing that she couldn't put out a decent long program, then? Her strength in short programs are telling me that her training is not the problem at least.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Beauty and packaging most definitely count. Agnes has wonderful talents and capabilities. I still believe that she can be a successful American Olympian.