New camera in the works | Golden Skate

New camera in the works

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why would this even be considered something to have?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...description-photo-rather-image-182725275.html

With image-tweaking services like Instagram turning our everyday photos into vintage snapshots, it seems like photography itself is taking a step back in time. A new camera prototype turns that idea completely on its head by producing a text description of each photo you shoot, rather than capturing an actual image. It's called the Descriptive Camera, and it just might be the next big thing in photography.

I know some folks are suggesting a tool for the blind, but as it's proposed in the article it doesn't sound like that's the intention.

It seems rather odd on first look. Although it's probably the only camera I'd be able to use successfully! The text wouldn't be out of focus, and I could always correct the grammar myself....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Never have been a Nikon fan, PB, but I like your style. I still have my film cameras... though I never have a chance to use them these days :no:

Just out of curiosity: if you use a film camera, is there a place to send the film, or do you have to have your own darkroom?

Historical note. One of my relatives (now gone) worked in a pharmacy as a young woman, sort of as an apprentice. (That was the way it was done in those days.) They mixed up a lot of their own preparations back then, and they also developed the film themselves. Result: she had a box camera surprisingly early for the daughter of an immigrant family of modest means, and there are quite a few photos of the family from the 1920s.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Olympia - Walmart still prints film, and there are professional labs that do the specialty/pro printing still... it's just becoming more and more expensive.

the developing chemicals are cancer causing, but I LOVE working in a darkroom. I'd do my own printing if I had my own darkroom (too expensive, no room)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Just out of curiosity: if you use a film camera, is there a place to send the film, or do you have to have your own darkroom?

There is an excellent pro lab in Worcester, MA that I take my film to. I have them develop my film, then scan the negatives with my own scanner ( also a Nikon ). I can make alterations in PhotoShop Elements.

Never have been a Nikon fan, PB, but I like your style. I still have my film cameras... though I never have a chance to use them these days :no:

I prefer the look of a film image. What film cameras do you own?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have a Canon AE-1 and a Canon Rebel 2000 (?). My Canon A-1 that was my dads was stolen by the local camera guy who was supposed to clean/repair it. We never saw it again, pretty sure he sold it. My dad is too trusting of people who "give their word."

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I have a Canon AE-1 and a Canon Rebel 2000 (?). My Canon A-1 that was my dads was stolen by the local camera guy who was supposed to clean/repair it. We never saw it again, pretty sure he sold it. My dad is too trusting of people who "give their word."

I almost bought the Rebel 2000, but went with the FM3a. I am going to Aruba next month. I'm not sure which camera I'll take with me. The sand and sun can be rough in Aruba, so I might take my FM10. It's a cheaper film SLR, but it still takes great pictures.