Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Figure skating key to fulfilling Russia's Sochi promises

Custom Title
    Sochi will be tough. They will realistically have a chance for a medal in all four disciplines with the caveat that an aging Plushy comes back - after seeing him at Euros I can honestly say he could still podium. I keep saying this over and over so many I'd like to see get gold or medals. But really in pairs V and T and K and S are realistic podium shots - v and t even gold. The ladies have a reasonable shot but which lady or ladies I am not sure. Men like I said needs plushy for sure but Gatchinski has potential too as we know with his world bronze and in dance while I think gold is out of the question they could win bronze - now which team I am not sure - B and S? I and K? S and Z? R and T? The French look precarious. Weaver and Poje look to pass them and the Italians look good too. Anyways, Russia has reasonable shots at 3 gold and a medal in dance. 4 medals is not unrealistic - men -1 maybe even 2; dance -1; pairs 2; ladies 2

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I was writing of their second Olympic experience, where they won bronze at 35 (Chris) and 36 (Jayne).

I agree with you, however--I do not think there will be too much hanky-panky going on in figure skating, especially since Russia isn't making as much money in skating as Asia. The Russian mob boss who wanted to fix the Olympics in 2002 did so because back then, not only was the US cashing in on figure skating, but Russia. While Russians have more tours and skating shows, it isn't to the level of opportunity in Asia.

1994 with them being 35 and 36 does seem impossible to see today. P/B are the oldest at 28/30?

Unlike 2002 in 2014 it is not believable that a Russian team the way they are skating now could medal. Imagine if B/S beat DW or VM? No one on earth would beleive it! There was gigantic shock and a little outrage when they beat P/B at this years EUros Short dance! It wouldn't even have to be an unbelievable beating of DW or VM it could just be P/B!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    1994 with them being 35 and 36 does seem impossible to see today. P/B are the oldest at 28/30?

Unlike 2002 in 2014 it is not believable that a Russian team the way they are skating now could medal. Imagine if B/S beat DW or VM? No one on earth would beleive it! There was gigantic shock and a little outrage when they beat P/B at this years EUros Short dance! It wouldn't even have to be an unbelievable beating of DW or VM it could just be P/B!
    Agreed--there was even a slight shock when B/A lost to D/S in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    When D/S beat B/A I would say everyone in the media wrote or discussed it as Russia must always be on the podium. The corruption may be much less and deserved teams like VM and DW can come in first and second but there is such a Russian influence that even the "bad and horrible" D/S even though they won the WC in 2009 had to be put on the podium. There was just no other option. They didn't even drop below third in the OD but they were WC. Russia has absolutely no shot whatsoever at winning the WC in 2013. I think everyon will agree on that. And with that being the case and even a medal is unlikely for 2013 that the Sochi Ice dance podium will have no Russian team and if there was it would be a problem.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sochi will be tough. They will realistically have a chance for a medal in all four disciplines with the caveat that an aging Plushy comes back - after seeing him at Euros I can honestly say he could still podium. I keep saying this over and over so many I'd like to see get gold or medals. But really in pairs V and T and K and S are realistic podium shots - v and t even gold. The ladies have a reasonable shot but which lady or ladies I am not sure. Men like I said needs plushy for sure but Gatchinski has potential too as we know with his world bronze and in dance while I think gold is out of the question they could win bronze - now which team I am not sure - B and S? I and K? S and Z? R and T? The French look precarious. Weaver and Poje look to pass them and the Italians look good too. Anyways, Russia has reasonable shots at 3 gold and a medal in dance. 4 medals is not unrealistic - men -1 maybe even 2; dance -1; pairs 2; ladies 2
    The Russian men are horrible at this time. When you have to rely on a 30 something year old with bad knees to try to win a medal you know the Russians have no depth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2