Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scott Hamilton: An amazing skater and person

Scott Hamilton: An amazing skater and person

I never saw this video before-just browsing scott's performances. I thought thisinspirational man deserved his own thread and this video would touch many. Who has been like him? What a nice guy. Truly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZcN_6wzp8

I do love Scott, and am very proud of him for sharing his faith and encouragement. Nice guy, too...

Custom Title
    What a loving father and husband he must be.

Custom Title
    Scott's story is one that involves so many heart-rendering tugs and pulls. He has persevered in so many ways throughout his life. Hard work allowed him many hard-earned achievements as well.
    Do I love EVERYTHING about him? Uhh, I guess I could do without his hyper-Scott commentary days. It always makes me wish that one could be sitting back in a couch in a simple living room in front of a TV, with a couple of other fans, listening to what he has to say about the skating. I would bet he has a lot of humorous and fascinating observations in that type of setting.

Still, A great role model for skaters of generations that follow for sure.

I like and admire Scott for many reasons (I do wish he would tone down the screeching as a commentator), but other than that, I think he's been amazing for figure skating and inspiration.

What a wonderful portrait of this unique man.

It's funny how, no matter how lavish and heartfelt the praise for our lovely ice princesses -- Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Michelle Kwan -- somehow it is still the prince that endures as the number one skating icon in U.S. skating history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What a wonderful portrait of this unique man.

It's funny how, no matter how lavish and heartfelt the praise for our lovely ice princesses -- Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Michelle Kwan -- somehow it is still the prince that endures as the number one skating icon in U.S. skating history.
    Prince? Try King

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Prince? Try King
    Or, as Katia calls him in her book, Skate God for Life. If anyone remembers that last skate the group performed in the memorial program for Sergei, not Katia devastating solo to Mahler's Adagietto, but the happy group piece performed to Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, Scott was Katia's "partner." The camera caught his expression of loving pride when she skated her portion--he was brother, father, friend all in one. He must have been such a support to Katia and her family during that terrible year.
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Actually there's a longer story as to how he got Skate God For Life. It started as a running joke between Scott and Brian Orser. Whenever one would do "the impossible" on the ice (this was during their competitive years) he was skate god for a day. When Browning hit the quad in Budapest Scotty dubbed him skate god jr. Even had skateqguards made with that printed on them.

When Scott beat his cancer in 1997 Kurt dubbed him Skate God For Life. The other SOIers caught on.

Scott adored G/G-them as people/skaters and was as smitten by Katia as every man who knew her. He really pushed her solo career and it is clear from photos he would have taken care of her for life. While others caught Katia's eye for a while for 3 years, it was the young Ilia she wanted, and of course she got the baby and her man. Scott found his beautiful, amazing girl. I can relate more to scott than any other skater for many reasons.

Custom Title
    I've always imagined a conversation between Ilia and some other guys of Stars on Ice, the bigger the better. "You do Katia wrong and we'll make sure you can never skate again."

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Actually there's a longer story as to how he got Skate God For Life. It started as a running joke between Scott and Brian Orser. Whenever one would do "the impossible" on the ice (this was during their competitive years) he was skate god for a day. When Browning hit the quad in Budapest Scotty dubbed him skate god jr. Even had skateqguards made with that printed on them.

When Scott beat his cancer in 1997 Kurt dubbed him Skate God For Life. The other SOIers caught on.
    That makes perfect sense.
    Thanks for sharing.

Olympia, I've imagined that, as well.

Custom Title
    Scott is an amazing character. His support of Katia at the loss of Sergei. He was a great show skater. His fight against cancer, his various causes and faith are all very admirable. Seems like a nice guy even if he is annoying sometimes in commentating. Sadly by the end of his competitive days if it were not for school figures, Brian Orser was clearly outskating him. In fact, Hamilton limped to World Gold in 1984 making some mistakes on some of his bigger tricks which could not compete with Orser's power and athleticness.

I found new respect and admiration for him when I heard the news that he proposed pro-am competition to ISU council meeting last year. It goes without saying that his love and support for figure skating are truly surpassing everyone's expectation.

Just a little thing: Does anyone have any idea when this competition of his brainchild is gonna be held? I heard it would be called ICE, which I think is a great name to it:D

^ I haven't heard anything more about it since the preliminary announcement last April. Here is the Golden Skate thread about it then, with links to the official site in the first post (by Sylvia).

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-s-brainchild)

The only change I can see is that now the date is listed as spring of 2013. I hope it gets off the ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast