Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Todd Eldredge has hip replacement surgery -- Updated with baby news!

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Didn't Tara Lipinski have the same surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Kurt and Todd didn't do the volume of quads that men are pushed to do now. I wonder (and kind of worry even though I've never been a fan) how many joints Plush will have to have replaced and how soon. Not too mention all the younger skaters doing so many quads and more jumps in programs than in Kurt and Todd's era. The emphasis on quads worries me because it doesn't seem to come easily to anyone (except maybe Plush) and the potential for long-term injury is probably huge.
    Kurt and Todd, though, were practicing the quad before the technique was "perfected"... Kurt wrote in his book about the night he hit his first one in practice. He pushed himself towards exhaustion because he wanted that jump and he wanted to be the first... that's a lot of wear and tear on the body.

Archery and marksmanship, maybe.
    Those are pretty physical, too. It takes a lot of strength for archery. Marksmanship is all about the perfect stance, breathing, and stability... I've been knocked on my butt quite a few times. Bruised ego, shoulder and tailbone to prove it.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-27-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Didn't Tara Lipinski have the same surgery?
    If I recall, she had repairative surgery to her hip but not a replacement. She was back on the ice fairly quickly if I remember after the initial surgery. I also think that procedure was what Yagudin chose for his initial treatment shortly after he left the eligible ranks. In the end, he needed a replacement a few years later. If I have any of this wrong, please correct me.

So marriage and hip replacement surgery for Todd? I wish him a speedy recovery!

Custom Title
    And with marksmanship, there's the noise--not good for the ears. I hope you wear ear protection, Toni!

Todd always seemed to me to be decent, mature, and gentlemanly. I was so thrilled when he won the World gold. I wish him a full recovery and a great professional and family life.

Louisa, I was an uber-fan of Michelle's and still am, and yet I agree with you that fans often attribute a wisdom to skaters that they don't yet have. Much of their supposed wisdom is actually a product of the wise choices of their coach, choreographer, and/or parents. What the younger skaters have is determination, discipline, and talent, which they might not understand explicitly but which they somehow mysteriously know how to harness and give forth. The wisdom comes later. If we're lucky, they also have poise and good sportsmanship, which fortunately Michelle had.

Of course any youngster, not just a champion athlete, also can possess character at an early age, and I think Michelle is one of the ones who did, thank goodness. It's why I remain her fan, and you probably do as well. Todd had the same. He always exhibited modesty, and he was always conscious of the contributions his community made to sponsor him in this expensive sport and was gracious in both defeat and victory. Definitely an asset to the world of skating.

Custom Title
    Sad. These athletes are far too young to have these surgeries. I'm a bit surprised by Todd needing it simply because he had such marvelous technique on his jumps. Apparently good form doesn't mean you don't beat up your body doing triple jumps over several years. Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Sad. These athletes are far too young to have these surgeries. I'm a bit surprised by Todd needing it simply because he had such marvelous technique on his jumps. Apparently good form doesn't mean you don't beat up your body doing triple jumps over several years. Get well soon!
    Yeah, I agree. He did have great technique on his jumps!

Don't forget that Todd suffered a back injury around 1993 & it took him until 1995 or so to regain his jumping form. My guess is that those years didn't help his hip(s).

Todd Eldredge has hip replacement surgery

Todd was a great sport but he had alot of injuries and missed making the Olympic team in 1994.

I remember his back injury in 1993.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't say Todd had great technique. More like great reflexes. He could land jumps from very awkward air positions. That can add extra strain on the downside.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    They are so young to have the hip replacements done. The hip replacements only last about 20 years so they will probably have to have them again. The pain is so intense that the replacement is a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by verte76 View Post
    Todd was a great sport but he had a lot of injuries and missed making the Olympic team in 1994.
    At the 1994 US Nationals (most infamously known for "the whack heard around the world"), Todd had his own case of bad luck & bad timing. He came down with the flu and a high fever during that week. He still competed, but in a weakened form, finished 4th. I think that had he not had the flu & the high fever, that he would have placed higher & possibly made the US Olympic that year (there were only 2 spots that year, and Brian B. had reinstated). Thankfully, Todd's season turned around for the better @ a spring pro-am that year, where I believe he finished 2nd to Paul Wylie. He may have considered that competition "his" worlds for that season. Then he won the silver medal @ that year's Goodwill Games. The 1994-1995 season was terrific for him - he won back his US title, competed @ Worlds and won the silver medal, and over all had a great eligible career, followed by the world title in 1996! (Yes, I'll cry a little for the fact that he & Kurt don't have Olympic medals), but both have achieved so much more and have had longevity in the sport, thank goodness!
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 04-29-2012 at 06:49 AM.

I just read a tweet from Todd on IN "Ultrasound said he is 5lb 10/oz w/3 weeks to go. Can't wait to be a Dad! So excited!!!!"

There are other tweets from Todd about his surgery, you can go to IN to read them, but I thought that this tweet was News.

Aww Todd is going to have a son that is great news.

Yay! Can't wait to refer to him as "Papa Todd!"

If you go to www.toddeldredge.net, you can see pictures of Todd in his hospital gown (and red socks, LOL), using a walker. His latest tweet shows him "graduating" to a cane, and it looks like the pic was taken at his home in Florida.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 05-05-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast