All That Skate Spring 2012 (May 4-6) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All That Skate Spring 2012 (May 4-6)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I wish they make it into a improv competition actually someday, it would be fun!

Do you love improv competitions? I don't. I think Jeffrey Buttle was the only one who could do that as if he has trained for his programs for a week. Mostly we saw so far in Improv Ice were bad quality choreographs and skatings.

krenseby

Final Flight
Do you love improv competitions? I don't. I think Jeffrey Buttle was the only one who could do that as if he has trained for his programs for a week. Mostly we saw so far in Improv Ice were bad quality choreographs and skatings.

At an improv. comp, they could assign the music a few weeks ahead of time to give skaters the chance to come up with good choreography.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
At an improv. comp, they could assign the music a few weeks ahead of time to give skaters the chance to come up with good choreography.

Ummm ... are you saying that tongue in cheek? How could a competition be described as "improv" if the music is assigned weeks in advance? :laugh:

skateluvr

Record Breaker

It depends who is in charge. I saw several improv performances that were as good as any show programs when Robin Cousins produced the show. One has to know the skaters, help them with a great music choice. If you have David Wilson picking the music, or some great talent like Robin or Sandra Bezic, you will see good skating. It's all in the music chosen for the skater.

krenseby

Final Flight
Ummm ... are you saying that tongue in cheek? How could a competition be described as "improv" if the music is assigned weeks in advance? :laugh:

I am not saying it tongue-in-cheek. In fact, I don't care if the competition should be described as improv or not; other names could be applied. I just want a format where skaters are assigned music in advance so that they have ample time to choreograph their performance. And well-choreographed programs that engage viewers precisely because they weren't put together too quickly and carelessly wouldn't be a bad thing now, would they?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am not saying it tongue-in-cheek. In fact, I don't care if the competition should be described as improv or not; other names could be applied. I just want a format where skaters are assigned music in advance so that they have ample time to choreograph their performance. And well-choreographed programs that engage viewers precisely because they weren't put together too quickly and carelessly wouldn't be a bad thing now, would they?

Pls don't get me wrong: I wasn't questioning the merit of your idea. Your previous post confused me and gave me a friendly chuckle only because you were calling an apple an orange. You introduced your proposal by saying, "At an improv. comp, they could ...", and then your suggestion was for a format that would not be improv.

Now that you have clarified that in fact you don't care about your format being called improv, the apple is a perfectly fine apple. :)

About improvs, on the other side part of the fun of an improv show is seeing the skaters scramble to cope with music thrown at them at the last minute. Usually they do get to listen to it an hour or so in advance, so they are not completely at sea.

It only works when the audience already loves the performers and is with them no matter what they do. One of the most famous improvs was straight-laced Todd Eldredge taking on "Who let the dogs out." He hasn't lived that down to this day. :laugh:

Surya Bonaly always came to shows like that with a big trunk full of costumes, so she could pull out an appropriate one come what may. It paid off one time when she drew a country-western song, and sure enough she had a cowboy outfit in her trunk.

(Come to think of it, that was sort of suspicious. Like "reality" TV. :laugh: )

McIce

Rinkside
Someone Like You is not a good program. The movements don't match to the rhythm of song at all. Also, Yuna's jumps looked very lackluster. The 3Sal had a unstable landing. The speed was very slow compared to her usual standard.
All of Me, however, is a pretty great program. I love a lot of steps that are integrated to the tune and beat.

By the form she showed tonight, I'm afraid she couldn't go back to her peak very easily. It NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!

figureskate

On the Ice
Someone Like You is not a good program. The movements don't match to the rhythm of song at all. Also, Yuna's jumps looked very lackluster. The 3Sal had a unstable landing. The speed was very slow compared to her usual standard.
All of Me, however, is a pretty great program. I love a lot of steps that are integrated to the tune and beat.

By the form she showed tonight, I'm afraid she couldn't go back to her peak very easily. It NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!

I've noticed that her spins look very weak at the moment and, yes, overall I thought that all of me was a better program than someone like you. Afterall she is human and this should have been a very busy season for her (I mean far from the rink)

Wow, not just "good as ever," much, much better! Thank you for the links! All of Me is somewhat unconventional for Yuna and I mean this in a good way. Wow. What a girl.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I can understand her jumps are not as sharp as before, but spins? skating skill? It seems like everything went out the window the moment she stopped competing. Other girls like Kimmie, Sasha, Sarah etc... who stopped competing for years can still spin. Her spin looks novice-level.
If she wants to come back, she will need to work on everything. At least her dress is flattering.

I can understand her jumps are not as sharp as before, but spins? skating skill? It seems like everything went out the window the moment she stopped competing. Other girls like Kimmie, Sasha, Sarah etc... who stopped competing for years can still spin. Her spin looks novice-level.
If she wants to come back, she will need to work on everything. At least her dress is flattering.

Give her some break. It's a gala, not a competition. Maybe it was not her day, maybe she just wanted to enjoy herself not caring for the "perfect level" that competitions require. Skating skills have actually gotten better. If you can't see that, well, I don't know what else to say.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yuna's programs are not designed to show off her TES skills but she certainly shows so much flair and artistry. She is special.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Speaking as someone who found Yuna's previous exhibition programs really empty and lackluster, this is a very pleasant surprise. Both programs actually contain a decent amount of intricate skating. There are enough moves and movements I don't see a lot from Yuna or anybody else to make each performance worth rewatching. So I'll just :rolleye: at the haters.

"All of Me": Cute idea that's well executed. Yuna certainly looks sharp and suave. However, I do feel like the hat hinders more than it helps, though not to a distracting degree.

"Someone Like You": I am not fond of people skating to this song (or doing anything with the song, really). But I actually really liked this program. The choreography is brilliantly put together, and Yuna realizes it perfectly. My favorite moment is the spiral and the subsequent series of steps. Lovely and unusual. If the proposal to turn the choreographic spiral sequence into a spiral/step sequence hybrid, maybe we'll see something like this.

All of Me! :rock: Very cool.

You know how on opening day of a play the audience shouts "author, author!" at the end until the playwright comes out and takes a bow? Do they ever do that at skating shows for the choreographer?

Someone like you. The program was OK, but I agree with Serious Business about the song. How many teenaged "woe is me I'm no good I guess I might as well kill myself" songs do we really need? :laugh:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wow that was quick with the upload of the videos. Loved both of YuNa's programs. I am so happy to see her
skating again. To my eyes she skated beautifully.