Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: All That Skate Spring 2012 (May 4-6)

lowtherlore
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Another correction: Up until now, Lambiel has been skating to live musicians performing a version of My Body is a Cage that is based on Peter Gabriel's cover of it, and not the Arcade Fire original. I presume in All That Skate, Lambiel will either skate to Gabriel's recording, or live musicians emulating it.

I can't wait to see it! As soon as I heard Gabriel's cover I've been dying to see someone skate to it. And lo and behold the skater I consider the greatest living artist on ice answers the call! I've seen videos of it before, but I'm hoping the Korean broadcast will feature better camera work and direction than what I've seen so far (which has been pretty shoddy).

Kudos to Jin-Seo Kim for picking music actually released this year to skate to! Even if it is the horribly derivative Fantastic Baby.
    You are right. Kostner’s would be Jeff Buckley’s cover and Lambiel’s would be P Gabriel’s cover if he use a recording.

Speaking of camerawork, be prepared for the skaters disappearing out of frame, enlarged body parts, distant wide-angle or birds-eye views challenging you to locate the skater and find out the gender. They are also amazing at picking each climactic moment to provide aerial shots reducing the head plus the torso to a blurred spot or the rear angles when all the action is happening the other side. They never disappoint me. Either SBS or MBC over the years have shown little improvement and worse, good portion of MBC staff is currently on strike. Actually, I am counting on the better versions of fan cam or ATS’ own video edits, as I’ve never revisited the broadcast version of the past shows.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Lambiel’s would be P Gabriel’s cover if he use a recording.
    In some recent interview he actually mentioned that they are making recording of the singer (Rhonda Dorsey) who sang it in Art on Ice. So I think it won't be Gabriel.
    I think they wrote "Arcade Fire" because this is how it is mentioned on his site.

Thank you for starting this thread. I always love Yuna's shows, she always has a fabulous cast and all of the little details are
    so well done. Great Photos!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Hallelujah has been so overdone. Yuna could really push her boundaries as a pro but she is very predictable. I'd love to see her in an improv format with music that would be uncharacteristic. Sounds like a decent show. One can always count on Stephane. Not much earthshaking here, but those Korean crowds are a great show all by themselves. Wish I could sit in!
    I agree on the improv format with music would be a good practice and challenge to the skaters, but name one who's currently doing this?

I wish they make it into a improv competition actually someday, it would be fun!
    Last edited by os168; 05-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I wish they make it into a improv competition actually someday, it would be fun!
    Do you love improv competitions? I don't. I think Jeffrey Buttle was the only one who could do that as if he has trained for his programs for a week. Mostly we saw so far in Improv Ice were bad quality choreographs and skatings.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Do you love improv competitions? I don't. I think Jeffrey Buttle was the only one who could do that as if he has trained for his programs for a week. Mostly we saw so far in Improv Ice were bad quality choreographs and skatings.
    At an improv. comp, they could assign the music a few weeks ahead of time to give skaters the chance to come up with good choreography.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    At an improv. comp, they could assign the music a few weeks ahead of time to give skaters the chance to come up with good choreography.
    Ummm ... are you saying that tongue in cheek? How could a competition be described as "improv" if the music is assigned weeks in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    It depends who is in charge. I saw several improv performances that were as good as any show programs when Robin Cousins produced the show. One has to know the skaters, help them with a great music choice. If you have David Wilson picking the music, or some great talent like Robin or Sandra Bezic, you will see good skating. It's all in the music chosen for the skater.

lowtherlore
    More photos from yesterday rehearsal:

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/...Spring%202012/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Ummm ... are you saying that tongue in cheek? How could a competition be described as "improv" if the music is assigned weeks in advance?
    I am not saying it tongue-in-cheek. In fact, I don't care if the competition should be described as improv or not; other names could be applied. I just want a format where skaters are assigned music in advance so that they have ample time to choreograph their performance. And well-choreographed programs that engage viewers precisely because they weren't put together too quickly and carelessly wouldn't be a bad thing now, would they?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    I am not saying it tongue-in-cheek. In fact, I don't care if the competition should be described as improv or not; other names could be applied. I just want a format where skaters are assigned music in advance so that they have ample time to choreograph their performance. And well-choreographed programs that engage viewers precisely because they weren't put together too quickly and carelessly wouldn't be a bad thing now, would they?
    Pls don't get me wrong: I wasn't questioning the merit of your idea. Your previous post confused me and gave me a friendly chuckle only because you were calling an apple an orange. You introduced your proposal by saying, "At an improv. comp, they could ...", and then your suggestion was for a format that would not be improv.

Now that you have clarified that in fact you don't care about your format being called improv, the apple is a perfectly fine apple.

Custom Title
    here are yuna's programs

someone like you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNQxgYCuhU

all of me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=132t8t8K-34

they are not full videos, but anyway it is a first sight

About improvs, on the other side part of the fun of an improv show is seeing the skaters scramble to cope with music thrown at them at the last minute. Usually they do get to listen to it an hour or so in advance, so they are not completely at sea.

It only works when the audience already loves the performers and is with them no matter what they do. One of the most famous improvs was straight-laced Todd Eldredge taking on "Who let the dogs out." He hasn't lived that down to this day.

Surya Bonaly always came to shows like that with a big trunk full of costumes, so she could pull out an appropriate one come what may. It paid off one time when she drew a country-western song, and sure enough she had a cowboy outfit in her trunk.

(Come to think of it, that was sort of suspicious. Like "reality" TV. )

Tripping on the Podium
    Someone Like You is not a good program. The movements don't match to the rhythm of song at all. Also, Yuna's jumps looked very lackluster. The 3Sal had a unstable landing. The speed was very slow compared to her usual standard.
    All of Me, however, is a pretty great program. I love a lot of steps that are integrated to the tune and beat.

By the form she showed tonight, I'm afraid she couldn't go back to her peak very easily. It NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast