Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I don't see why Makarova would skate for Canada, as she has no ties to Canada. She is the daughter of Larisa Selezneva and Oleg Makarov, the 1984 Olympic Pairs champions. Both parents were born in St. Peterburg, Russia.

Makarova herself was born in St. Petersburg and moved to the US with her parents in 2000; the Makarovs reside in Newburgh, New York.

Ksenia competed at intermediate and novice levels in the US; she was 7th at 2007 US nationals as a Novice but never represented the US in international competition. She began competing for Russia in the 2007 JGP. She returned to Russia in 2011 and is still residing there.

Maybe Canada could draft Sarah or Emily Hughes, as both have dual US/Canadian citizenship. Of course, Sarah doesn't jump anymore. But there's always Emily.
    Sorry if I'm wrong but I think sky_fly20 meant it as a joke. That obviously won't happen.

Custom Title
    I think Canada has its star-making machine set too low, if its only popping one out every ten years, or so. We need to dial it up.

I believe it takes competition to make a competitor. We should get more girls into the mix, and then see how many rise to the top. Our international record doesn't speak well for our current system. I'd like to see four or five close competitors in Canada, let them push each other to excel, and also learn to deal with the inevitable disappointments along the way. If they can't jump, find out who can teach them, and send them there.

It didn't take the Russians long to produce contenders once they focussed on it.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    slipslidin, I think another reason for this is the fact that the Canadian commentators (at least the ones I've managed to catch; Debbie Wilkes, Rod Black, etc) talk about them as if they're the next Olympic champion! One commentator, who was commentating during the 2007 Nationals (I am sketchy on the year; it was the year Mira Leung had the La Bayadere short program) started talking about how Mira has eye-popping flexibility (which is true), and that she should be considered a contender for the 2010 Olympics! I can understand having pride in one's skaters, but they need to be critical, too. When you have too much pride and can't see fault, then the bar is invariably set very low.

Custom Title
    With the way that the ISU has limited the number of skaters in the GP, Osmond would possibly only get the Skate Canada assignment. With 6 slots in the JGP it is very important to Skate Canada to send the right skaters to continue with this as a minimum. From Nationals, Osmond was the only one to show a consistent 3F.

During the CBC broadcast of the JW, Mike Slipchuk mentioned that if a lady was there without a 3-3 and the required triple jump out of steps, they were not even in the game. Osmond can be competitive this year and with 4 more slots open it is an opportunity for 4 others to gain experience. Daleman with doing the Challenge Cup and winning Juniors this year would be a front runner and Jurome from Novice. Hopefully Skate Canada opts away from the soon to age out ladies.

As for Osmond being a Senior skating Junior, it is all part of development. It is one of the drawbacks of the Canadian Ladies Program being weak. If Senior and Junior was very strong she may have skated Junior nationally (ie, Gracie Gold in US). The Canadian skating fans and Skate Canada have to continue to be patient and allow the kids to develop internationally. Phaneuf, Lacoste, Samson, Desanctis, Najarro, Charbonneau, etc can hopefully fill the 6 slots (including 3 at SCI?).
    Last edited by hohoho; 04-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    As for Osmond being a Senior skating Junior, it is all part of development. It is one of the drawbacks of the Canadian Ladies Program being weak. If Senior and Junior was very strong she may have skated Junior nationally (ie, Gracie Gold in US). The Canadian skating fans and Skate Canada have to continue to be patient and allow the kids to develop internationally. Phaneuf, Lacoste, Samson, Desanctis, Najarro, Charbonneau, etc can hopefully fill the 6 slots (including 3 at SCI?).

I'm wondering what are the "6 slots" to which you refer? GP invitations are based on the World Ranking and Seasons Best list and unless skaters are guaranteed invitations, nothing is sure except the 3 host picks for Skate Canada International.

Last season (2010-2011) Lacoste and Phaneuf each got 1 GP invitation plus Skate Canada because both were top 24 on the Seasons Best list and the World Ranking list. But only Lacoste will be top 24 on the current World Rankings after the old data is expunged. On the 2011-2012 Seasons Best list, Lacoste is #35, Phaneuf #39, Osmond #41, DeSanctis #64, Charbonneau #66, Najarro #88. That means only Lacoste is guaranteed at least one GP slot. The others are guaranteed nothing. In addition, Najarro and Samson are ineligible for GP invitations because Najarro is too low on the SB list, and Samson is not on the Seasons Best list because she didn't compete last season.

Custom Title
    Junior Grand Prix slots. Top three countries at Juniors get two skaters per GP. 4-6 get one. 7-10 get six slots over seven JGPs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Junior Grand Prix slots. Top three countries at Juniors get two skaters per GP. 4-6 get one. 7-10 get six slots over seven JGPs.
    Of course, you do realize that of the skaters you mentioned, only Osmond is junior-eligible. Charbonneau and Najarro have aged out.

Custom Title
    Oh, then I have no idea what the six slots refers to. I think your initial assumption was correct.

Custom Title
    Sorry for being off on the GP slots. I was assuming that a Canadian Lady had an opportunity to go to 4 different GP plus able to send 2 more to Skate Canada. So from Chuckm, I am undertsanding that Lacoste may get an invitation to 1 GP plus Canada can send 3 to their own event? Even more support behind what I mentioned about for SC to be patient and develop from the JGP.

I realise that the names were all senior. I was thinking Canada could send 6 skaters to GP events (including 3 to SCI).
    Last edited by hohoho; 04-28-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Custom Title
    Canada, at most, will have four slots on the GP circuit. LaCoste is guaranteed one slot. Skate Canada has three slots reserved for Canadian ladies.

Custom Title
    So how does Skate Canada decide who geets what slots? Should Skate Canada use one of the summer comps as a qualifier (ie, Quebec, Thornhill, Minto, Wildrose)? Or do they rely on monitoring practice sessions and local competitions where there isn't much competition for the top 1-2-3 skaters? If Skate Canada wants to develop the young skaters it has to push more and tougher competition. Maybe pushing a competition in the US? Canadian skaters have to train and compete as if they are competing on the international stage and not just to win nationals. With that mindset, Nationals will eventually get tougher. It all takes time.

Custom Title
    That's a mystery. There's no real method except (a) they favour people who made the National team (top five at Nationals) or successful juniors competing as seniors internationally. There's currently talks about a Senior B in Salt Lake, I believe. If Skate Canada was smart, they would inundate Finlandia, Nebelhorn and Salt Lake (provisionally) with ladies.

Custom Title
    Nepela is another early-season competition which does not draw top-level international skaters. The top 3 at Nepela 2011 (9/29-10/1):

Mae Berenice Meite
    Shoko Ishikawa
    Lena Marrocco

Other fall competitions which didn't draw top ladies:

Coupe de Nice 2011 (10/26-30):
    Polina Agafonova
    Natalia Popova
    Anna Ovcharova

Ice Challenge 2011 (11/01-06):
    Caroline Zhang
    Natalia Popova
    Linnea Mellgren

Skate Canada might want to consider sending ladies who don't get GP slots (including Osmond) to the last two competitions. Of course, that is if Skate Canada is willing to invest $$ in developing ladies. I have my doubts that they are.

Custom Title
    I share your doubts.

Custom Title
    If coaches and skaters are shooting for top five in Canada, they are aiming far too low. Last season, Amalie Lacoste was 22nd in the world, Cynthia Phaneuf was 41st. Surely those positions are not unassailable, You'd think any ambitious girl might hope to do better.

Of the lower-ranked international skaters mentioned here, Caroline Zhang was 12th in the world last season, Mae Berenice was 13th, Natalia Popova 25th, and Polina Agafonova 36th, worthy competition for any of our girls.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast