Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Very, very very sadly Dragonlady is right about Mira. She even had the musicality deep within her. She had a very high proficiency as a pianist and was very soulful and played with heart. If she was allowed to flourish and be the butterfly she was meant to be with proper coaching and guidance she could have been very good. But good basics -stroking, cross overs, spins, body carriage and of course jump techinque are key. This takes time and coaching. Not that Joanne McLeod imho was probably the right coach.. Joanne has had difficulty taking skaters to the top level for whatever reason. And the axel is HER nemesis.

T

Taffy

Is Jessica Dube definitely not competing singles anymore?

I knew she withdrew from singles at Canadian Nationals due to a foot injury (or ankle?), but I thought it was just about that competition. I've been surprised not to hear anything more about her singles career, since I thought she was committed to it.

Does anyone know what the status is?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Jessica has never really had a singles career. She has competed in singles at Canadians, but not internationally. She doesn't have all of the triples so I don't know why her name even came up.

To me, it starts with the clubs and the clubs just don't get excited about talented girls the way they do about the boys. A talented boy is made to feel special and treated as such. There are so many girls and yet the coaches and the clubs don't seem to take them seriously.

And then there's the issue of no finals for the girls. In all other disciplines there is only one flight so the skaters compete against the best of their group. For the girls, there may be 5 flights and each flight gets a set of medals. You have to go to Sectionals before you compete against the best skaters in your group so it only happens a couple of times a year. There should be finals at every comp and at every level.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When she skated with Bryce Davison, Jessica often did singles at Canadians, but typically skated the SP only. After Bryce's injury and their split, Jessica started skating singles again. She went to 2011 Canadian Nationals and had to skate both programs. She had a decent SP, with a fall on a 3s, and was in 5th place going into the FS. But her FS was disastrous: she landed only one triple, and dropped to 6th place, leaving her off the National Team. So that meant she'd receive no international assignments the following season.

Then she teamed up with Sebastien Wolfe over the summer and they competed as a pair in the GP. She was scheduled to compete as a single at 2012 Canadians, but withdrew.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
She went to 2011 Canadian Nationals and had to skate both programs. She had a decent SP, with a fall on a 3s, and was in 5th place going into the FS. But her FS was disastrous: she landed only one triple, and dropped to 6th place, .

Canadian ladies really need to raise their content. Maybe their top girls need to leave Canada, come to the US or Japan to train...I don't know. A fall on the triple salchow would leave you buried in the mid-teens if it was Russia, Japan, or the US.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Canadian ladies really need to raise their content. Maybe their top girls need to leave Canada, come to the US or Japan to train...I don't know. A fall on the triple salchow would leave you buried in the mid-teens if it was Russia, Japan, or the US.

Ironically, the Japanese are sending their young ladies to Canada to learn to jump and have been since the 1990's. Yu-Na Kim spent her summers at Mariposa when she was a novice/junior skater too, specifically because of the jump coaching there.

I don't think we lack the coaches or the talent. I just don't think that girls are given the right program to help them succeed, starting with finals at all levels.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
This is true, Dragonlady. Canada has probably the best facilities in the world. With coaches like Orser, Barkell, and Leigh, there's really no reason that Canadian women can't have it all. There was a youtube video of Keyla Ohs from 1998/1999, when she skated in Skate Canada, and the commentators were raving about how she had the best coaching and choreography, and could be a threat. Then she fell on her lutz, and it all went downhill from there.

hohoho

On the Ice
With Liberty and Skate Detroit coming up, has any of our young ladies entered these comps?

hohoho

On the Ice
I read on another article, that with the cancellation of the QR that Kaetlyn Osmond is the only Canadian lady eligible right now for 2013 Worlds as she is the only one of Lacoste, Phaneuf, etc to meet the minimum TES score required to compete at Worlds. So basically now, nationals mean practically nothing for the selection of the World Team. I guess SC has to start using the Senior B's more to allow skaters to get the minimum TES score. Right now, Lacoste only has Skate Canada GP. If she doesn't get the min. TES then her only chance is 4CC just before Worlds. THis should make things interesting.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
How many points is the minimum TES score to compete at worlds and at Grand Prix ???
Does Adrianna Desanctis (Skate Canada 2011) and Alexandra Najarro (4CC 2012) have meet the the minimum TES score ???

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many points is the minimum TES score to compete at worlds and at Grand Prix ???
Does Adrianna Desanctis (Skate Canada 2011) and Alexandra Najarro (4CC 2012) have meet the the minimum TES score ???

There are different TES requirements for each of the ISU Championships:

Euros/4CC:
M SP: 25.00 M FS: 45.00
L SP: 20.00 L FS: 36.00
P SP: 20.00 P FS: 36.00
D SD: 18.00 D FD: 28.00

World Juniors
M SP: 20.00 M FS: 40.00
L SP: 20.00 L FS: 35.00
P SP: 20.00 P FS: 30.00
D SD: 17.00 D FD: 27.00

World Championships
M SP: 35.00 M FS: 65.00
L SP: 28.00 L FS: 48.00
P SP: 28.00 P FS: 45.00
D SD: 29.00 D FD: 39.00

2011 Skate Canada
Phaneuf: 23.36, 42.48 4CC only
Lacoste: 26.71, 43.22 4CC only
DeSanctis: 26.18, 42.03 4CC only

2011 NHK
Phaneuf: 21.00, 38.71 4CC only

2011 COR
Lacoste: 25.03, 46.98 4CC pnly

2011 JGP
Charbonneau, POL: 27.43, 34.61 4CC only
Charbonneau, ITA: 25.66, 37.57 4CC only
Purich, AUT: 22.36, 39.26 4CC only
Najarro, AUS: 21.99, 29.94 4CC only

2012 4CC
Lacoste: 25.84, 43.84 4CC only
Phaneuf: 26.56, 44.83 4CC only
Najarro: 18:48, 40.29 FS qualifies for 4CC; SP doesn't qualify for JW

2012 JW
Osmond (QR) 52.10 4CC, W
Osmond (SP) 28.46 4CC, W
Osmond (FS) 49.06 4CC, W

Osmond is the only Canadian skater to have established the World minimum TES for both SP and FS. If the other ladies don't achieve the minimums in the GP, they will have to do Senior Bs in order to qualify for Worlds.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Wow, it's great that this rule is established because Cynthia and Amelie will have no choice to kick their asss to be selected :p

Kaetlyn Osmond deserve to be the canadian number 1 :clap: compared to the others ...

There are different TES requirements for each of the ISU Championships:

Euros/4CC:
M SP: 25.00 M FS: 45.00
L SP: 20.00 L FS: 36.00
P SP: 20.00 P FS: 36.00
D SD: 18.00 D FD: 28.00

World Juniors
M SP: 20.00 M FS: 40.00
L SP: 20.00 L FS: 35.00
P SP: 20.00 P FS: 30.00
D SD: 17.00 D FD: 27.00

World Championships
M SP: 35.00 M FS: 65.00
L SP: 28.00 L FS: 48.00
P SP: 28.00 P FS: 45.00
D SD: 29.00 D FD: 39.00

2011 Skate Canada
Phaneuf: 23.36, 42.48 4CC only
Lacoste: 26.71, 43.22 4CC only
DeSanctis: 26.18, 42.03 4CC only

2011 NHK
Phaneuf: 21.00, 38.71 4CC only

2011 COR
Lacoste: 25.03, 46.98 4CC pnly

2011 JGP
Charbonneau, POL: 27.43, 34.61 4CC only
Charbonneau, ITA: 25.66, 37.57 4CC only
Purich, AUT: 22.36, 39.26 4CC only
Najarro, AUS: 21.99, 29.94 4CC only

2012 4CC
Lacoste: 25.84, 43.84 4CC only
Phaneuf: 26.56, 44.83 4CC only
Najarro: 18:48, 40.29 FS qualifies for 4CC; SP doesn't qualify for JW

2012 JW
Osmond (QR) 52.10 4CC, W
Osmond (SP) 28.46 4CC, W
Osmond (FS) 49.06 4CC, W

Osmond is the only Canadian skater to have established the World minimum TES for both SP and FS. If the other ladies don't achieve the minimums in the GP, they will have to do Senior Bs in order to qualify for Worlds.

hohoho

On the Ice
Wow, even more pressure on Lacoste and Phaneuf. Be interesting to see how they handle it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh my Osmond the best hope; Canada doesn't have much hope for ladies. Joannie needs to come back or Phaneuf needs to show the glimpse she has shown in the early 2000's and then in 2010 worlds or they will need to think about do they want to continue skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't hold your breath hoping Joannie will come back. She's not doing the GP this season, and she chose the Japanese Medalwinners (basically a pro competition) over the Japan Open. I think the fact she'd need to do two events (Team and Individual) at the Olympics is perhaps more than she is willing and/or able to handle at age 28, after not competing as an eligible for four years.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Don't hold your breath hoping Joannie will come back. She's not doing the GP this season, and she chose the Japanese Medalwinners (basically a pro competition) over the Japan Open. I think the fact she'd need to do two events (Team and Individual) at the Olympics is perhaps more than she is willing and/or able to handle at age 28, after not competing as an eligible for four years.

Yep. She's moved on, folks. She's been to two Olympics, came top five in both, won a medal, earned the admiration of fans and competitors worldwide. It's neither her fault that the ladies in Canada are so underwhelming nor her responsibility to prop them up. Indeed, I'm gonna argue that the overreliance on her will be detrimental in the long run (see Plushenko and the Russian men).

heyhey

On the Ice
Yep. She's moved on, folks. She's been to two Olympics, came top five in both, won a medal, earned the admiration of fans and competitors worldwide. It's neither her fault that the ladies in Canada are so underwhelming nor her responsibility to prop them up. Indeed, I'm gonna argue that the overreliance on her will be detrimental in the long run (see Plushenko and the Russian men).

Chuckm and IP - yes I would have to agree with you that not only has Joannie Rochette moved on (although would still be competitive) but her coach Manon Perron has moved on as well....