Thread: Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!

Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year?

Watching the performance from WTT, it seems like she is continuously improving small details of this program. I know not everyone likes the program, but those of us that do REALLY enjoy it. I think with another year she could have one performance that could really rank among the all-time great programs. The choreography really is genius, especially the end of her step sequence where the music quiets and she does her swan posing. This always gets a great reaction from the crowd and really engages them.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Like you, I love the program. I think Ashley has grown up. However, I would rather she move on to a new long program for the season. I do want her to revisit this program as an exhibition, free from the confines of COP.

Custom Title

0 Not allowed!
    I would say no. The program is good, but certainly no masterpiece. And I've seen it enough at this point.

I think skater shouldn't keep a program more than one season unless it's truly exceptional.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    No.

Custom Title

0 Not allowed!
    Judges generally don't like repeated programs, and few top skaters keep the same programs from one year to the next.

I recall Contesti kept both his SP and FS for a number of years and his marks went down; this year he had two new programs. Cynthia Phaneuf also repeats her programs and it doesn't help her marks.

Patrick Chan does repeat; his SP this year was a repeat of last year's and Aranjuez was his new one. The judges don't seem to hold it against him. I hope he doesn't keep Aranjuez and debut a new SP---I'd rather see two new programs.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    The only person who benefited from keeping a program for a long time was Viktor Petrenko, when he had the same long program for almost a whole quadrennium! Then again, his biggest competition was injured during the Olympics.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    The only person who benefited from keeping a program for a long time was Viktor Petrenko, when he had the same long program for almost a whole quadrennium! Then again, his biggest competition was injured during the Olympics.
    different eras, I think. Scott Hamilton wrote in his book that for most of his senior years he used the same program layout and changed only parts of the music. Always ending with a piece from Swan Lake... Kurt Browning used several pieces over several years over and over... I don't think Viktor was out of the norm for it...