Thread: Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year?

Watching the performance from WTT, it seems like she is continuously improving small details of this program. I know not everyone likes the program, but those of us that do REALLY enjoy it. I think with another year she could have one performance that could really rank among the all-time great programs. The choreography really is genius, especially the end of her step sequence where the music quiets and she does her swan posing. This always gets a great reaction from the crowd and really engages them.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Like you, I love the program. I think Ashley has grown up. However, I would rather she move on to a new long program for the season. I do want her to revisit this program as an exhibition, free from the confines of COP.

Custom Title
    I would say no. The program is good, but certainly no masterpiece. And I've seen it enough at this point.

I think skater shouldn't keep a program more than one season unless it's truly exceptional.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    No.

Custom Title
    Judges generally don't like repeated programs, and few top skaters keep the same programs from one year to the next.

I recall Contesti kept both his SP and FS for a number of years and his marks went down; this year he had two new programs. Cynthia Phaneuf also repeats her programs and it doesn't help her marks.

Patrick Chan does repeat; his SP this year was a repeat of last year's and Aranjuez was his new one. The judges don't seem to hold it against him. I hope he doesn't keep Aranjuez and debut a new SP---I'd rather see two new programs.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    The only person who benefited from keeping a program for a long time was Viktor Petrenko, when he had the same long program for almost a whole quadrennium! Then again, his biggest competition was injured during the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    The only person who benefited from keeping a program for a long time was Viktor Petrenko, when he had the same long program for almost a whole quadrennium! Then again, his biggest competition was injured during the Olympics.
    different eras, I think. Scott Hamilton wrote in his book that for most of his senior years he used the same program layout and changed only parts of the music. Always ending with a piece from Swan Lake... Kurt Browning used several pieces over several years over and over... I don't think Viktor was out of the norm for it...