Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Ashley Wagner Keep Her Swan Lake LP Another Year?

verte76

On the Ice
I've never cared for the Black Swan program from Ashley, outside of the inventive and evocative spiral sequence. Black Swan was a nasty and gruesome movie about a horrible little person who hurts herself and others around her terribly just to put on a mediocre staging of Swan Lake. I'd rather not be reminded of it. And trying to make Ashley into a ballerina, even an edgy one, is a silly exercise. The part in the footwork where she imitates being en pointe is so awkward and stilted it's a laugh out loud moment every time she does it. Ashley is not a dainty ballerina and she doesn't have to be one.

The most convincing I've seen Ashley do in a style of dance is the club dancing in her On the Floor exhibition number. That seems to be the range of style that she should be going for: something modern and upbeat and aggressive. She should forgo traditional symphonic music entirely.

I agree.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
"Black Swan" suits her really well, but I hope that she will find some other dramatic and strong music for her freeskate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can understand her fans wanting her to keep it, and I won't hold it against her if she does, but IMO time to find something else.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Happy birthday to Ashley!!! As much as I liked her Black Swan program, I hope she gets two new programs for next year. I also hope she can build on her accomplishments from last season so we can have some consistency in U.S. ladies skating.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Happy birthday, Ashley!!!

I loved her Balck Swan to death! :love:
And her short, too. I can't decide which one I would love better over the other...I can watch her performances from this season all day even with mistake(s), but my answer, if you ask mine, is NO.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've never cared for the Black Swan program from Ashley, outside of the inventive and evocative spiral sequence.

Funnily enough, the spiral sequence is very similar to what she has always been doing (those very aggressive, punctuated arm/hand pushes), it just worked with the program perfectly this time.

glam

On the Ice
IThe part in the footwork where she imitates being en pointe is so awkward and stilted it's a laugh out loud moment every time she does it. Ashley is not a dainty ballerina and she doesn't have to be one.
I hate when skaters try to imitate being en pointe. It looks like poor man's fake ballet.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hate when skaters try to imitate being en pointe. It looks like poor man's fake ballet.

I appreciate that fact that she is trying to replicate the character of the music on ice; she is portraying a swan as a ballet dancer as an ice skater. Yes it's fake ballet but it's so much better to watch that than skaters stroking around with slumped shoulders and having no connection to the music like 90% of the skaters out there do.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The en pointe part is indeed awkward but I wouls say given the program and what it portrays, almost obligatory. People liked it better when Oksana swaned around. She was awkward too but folks acted like she was an artiste+ and nancy was some poor shlep. But that was 1994. I hope we see new programs From AW and I agree she can really move to upbeat, young, club music. But judges want that left in the exhibitions, it seems. Who would win an OGM skating to JLo's 'On the Floor.'? So there you have it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There are skaters more artistic than Yuna. Joannie could do it better. Yuna was a very fast skater/jumper. Athlete over artist. Mao could do it better (not to mention if MK returned.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are skaters more artistic than Yuna. Joannie could do it better. Yuna was a very fast skater/jumper. Athlete over artist. Mao could do it better (not to mention if MK returned.)

Well, of course, no one can do it better than Michelle. But Yu Na's Tango de Roxanne reminds me of Lamento D'Ariane, or at least the music cuts Michelle used. I also think Yu Na is an artistic skater. Joannie, to me, is more of an athlete. And Mao--well Mao is just too inconsistent. Her futile pursuit of the triple axel has ruined her for me.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
yes, wish mao would forget the triple axel but she loves to do it. i love mao -she's a doll.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tweet from Ashley Wagner ‏@AshWagner2010
"Searching for music..helllppp!!! I need ideas!"
2:33 AM - 18 May 12

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For Ashley I'd like to see her skate to music I haven't seen others skate to so she can have a signature program without comparisons to other greats...

Sp: Massenet - The Last Sleep of the Virgin
Lp: Mahler - Symphony 2 Mvt. 1 "Resurrection"

I almost want to join Twitter to make my suggestions :)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These are not originals, but I think they would be good for Ashley:

SP: Dvorak, Dumky Trio

LP: Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor