Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ando could be back on the ice next season

News Ando could be back on the ice next season

The Mainichi -- Two-time world champion Miki Ando hinted Sunday she may return to competitive figure skating next season.

Custom Title
    Apparently Ando is back in Japan, having split with long-time coach (and reputed boyfriend) Morozov. Maybe that's part of the lack of motivation she is talking about. I would be surprised to see Ando back next season, but wouldn't be surprised if she returned for the Sochi season.

Custom Title
    I am rooting for her but, if I'm being honest, her skating doesn't move me. Nonetheless, I hope she does get to skate in Sochi and at least have one solid Olympic performance. Her results at the Games (5th and 15th) are not good for a two-time world champ.

Custom Title
    Will she be going to Brian Orser?

Custom Title
    Phew, I was worried Miki would be joined by little Mikis and Morozovs. Good thing she split from him; she's so pretty and nice and deserves someone decent.

Custom Title
    She had something that worked great for her in 2010-2011. Never once lost a free skate! Not once. With her triple lutz-double loop combo and total backloading she was able to always get the points even if she made a mistake like 2a-2t instead of 2a-3t. There were no 3lz -3loops or quad salchows (no one ever expected one but they were always asked about and she would be like "Maybe!!). Her 2011 4CC performance was great and beat a great Mao Asada. Her skating and wins was about how COP can be used and maybe not involving or interesting but her new SP starting at the 2010 GPF was very good on all levels really.

I hope Miki will make a comeback. I really love her skating and considering her career it would be a shame if she doesn't get an olympic medal. Hopefully she'll have the motivation and the health to comeback

Akiko Suzuki is on a roll and you can never count Mao Asada out, but I think Miki could come back to Japan #1 if that is her goal and desire.

According to info posted on FSU by YukiNieve, SHE IS COMING BACK.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=124
    This Japanese newspaper article says:

- Miki Ando will participate in GPS. ISU now requires athletes who took year(s) off and intend to come back
    to sign an agreement that they are obliged to participate in GPS
    unless unforeseeable incidents happen. Miki signed this agreement.

- A meeting for GPS assignments will take place this weekend in Chicago.

http://twitpic.com/9m5vxg

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    A series of recent tweets from Ando indicates emotional conflict. I can't read her many tweets in Japanese, but here is one of her few in English:

Miki M Ando ‏@181712
    "I love to skate but I born not for skating. I born as a normal girl... I have a normal life... Its so hard right now... How I have to feel!?"
    1:11 AM - 18 May 12
    Last edited by golden411; 05-18-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: grammar tweaks

Custom Title
    ^^Sounds like Miki's return is not a sure thing, but she might have to decide this weekend? At least decide if she wants her name put down for a gp or not.

Custom Title
    Whatever she decides I wish her the best. Maybe with her experience she can show an improved artistic side, which was always lacking IMO. I would prefer not to see her outjump Caro to win a world title unless her presentation has improved substantially.

Custom Title
    Am i the only one bored seeing older skaters like Ando and Kostner possibly at a third Olympics? I truly hope the younger kids coming up take over by Sochi. Carolina and Miki had their chances and didn't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Am i the only one bored seeing older skaters like Ando and Kostner possibly at a third Olympics? I truly hope the younger kids coming up take over by Sochi. Carolina and Miki had their chances and didn't get it done.
    As long as they improve their skating, technical or artistic, I'm not at all bored. On the contrary. I love to see older skaters succeed

The younger kids still have their chances to prove they are worth medals. And I guess they find it challenging to compete against the older ones (maybe their idols).

Good luck to Miki if she decides to return

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I don't find Kostner boring anymore, now that she can skate clean programs. But, yes, I'd be happier if one of these young skaters took the helm and started dominating, especially because it would force Caro to up her technical content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast