2013 Skate Canada Challenge | Golden Skate

2013 Skate Canada Challenge

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Results from Central Ontario sectional (Nov 1-4):
http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com//Irma/Sectionals 2013/index.htm

Alexe Gilles ‏@AlexeGilles
And who wants to go to Regina?!???? Haha I'm excited for my first challenge there! :)
2:50 AM - 5 Nov 12​

Gilles placed second in the SP; apparently did not skate her FP. [** Out-of-date information; see below.]
ETA:
Sorry, I spoke too soon. Turns out that as of Monday morning, the results sheet available online was not yet the final version. Thanks to geoskate for making note below.
Gilles placed fourth in the FP and fourth overall.
The link for Senior Women results remains the same:
http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com//Irma/Sectionals 2013/swrs.pdf

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
Eastern Ontario results are up.

(Scroll down; it's the bottom half of the page).

It's interesting to see Peter O'Brien back competing, since as far as I know he hasn't skated in any competitions this season. He was entered in Liberty and the Quebec Summer competition, but didn't compete. That sounds like injury came into play; does anyone know?

Alaine Chartrand must have skated well, since the protocols show seven triples attempted and six landed. Only her second lutz apparently gave her problems.

Newfoundland results are also posted, but they only had competitors up to the novice level. They also list the byed junior competitors (Julia Mercer, Ashley Morgan, and the junior pair team of Alexandra Young/Matthew Young.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
now that all sectionals are finished, when should we expect to see a listing of competitors for the challenge

Do not know when Skate Canada will post lists of Challenge competitors, but this page has the links to starting orders ready to go.
http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2013/2013CHALL.cfm?strLang=E

(At the moment, the links for starting orders lead to pages that say, "Document not yet available.")

ETA: The link that now appears above is a better one that what I originally posted.​

ETA: Sorry, I originally wrote by mistake that the link above is for Sectionals lists -- but it is for Challenge.​

Last edited:

uberfan

Spectator
Do pre-novice champions at challenge have to move up to novice the next year? I was kind of surprised to see the NFLD pre-novice pair team byed to challenge....that team won challenge at that same level last year. Typo maybe?

hohoho

On the Ice
The NFLD Pre-Novice Pair team is skating Novice this year. They had a Bye through NFLD Sectionals as the only team. But I believe they have to move up to Novice regardless due to winning Pre-Novice Challenge (which is Pre-Novice Nationals). Why would they stay back, they won it last year.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I didn't see a list of entrants at the Skate Canada site , and I've been shunted right out of my normal obsessive attention , recently. Can anyone tell me who we're likely to see in Sr. Dance ... besides Paul and Islam ? My brain has totally gone to mush.

ETA: Never mind...found it.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Excerpt from Skate Canada's preview of Skate Canada Challenge http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2233/language/en-US/Default.aspx:

Among the competitors are national team members Paige Lawrence, 22, Kennedy, Sask., and Rudi Swiegers, 25, Kipling, Sask., who will compete in the senior pair discipline. They are the current Canadian bronze medalists. Canadian bronze medalist and recent winner of the 2012 Skate Canada International, Kaetlyn Osmond, 16, Marystown, Nfld., will compete in the senior ladies discipline which she won for the first time in 2012.

Other notable contenders are national team members, Elladj Baldé, 21, Pierrefonds, Que., in senior men, Adriana DeSanctis, 24, Barrie, Ont., in senior ladies, and Alexandra Paul, 21, Barrie, Ont., and Mitchell Islam, 22, Barrie, Ont., in senior ice dance. In addition three-time Canadian Champion Emanuel Sandhu, 32, Vancouver, B.C., will compete in Regina for the first time since the 2006-2007 season.