All Things Ice Dance: American | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All Things Ice Dance: American

So including the time off, it will have taken nine years for Meryl to finish school. Not bad considering she was busy winning medals and all. ;)

That reminds me of Michelle Kwan giving that commencement speech in Vermont and saying with a laugh that she had attended college "on the ten-year plan." I admire perseverance! And Michelle then got her Master's in the usual time of about two years. Paul Wylie also took a rather extended time to finish his B.A. and then got an MBA.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Alex just tweeted a link to a video of the Shibutanis' new exhibition program:

http://twitter.com/#!/AlexShibutani/status/202929005375135744

So beautiful...I am very touched by the lyrics of this song. To me, it seems like a song celebrating their relationship and how important they are to each other :cry: I teared up a little! I kept getting flashbacks of some of the hard times they had this season (i.e. Alex getting very sick at 4CC and Maia looking so concerned!). Their choreography also seems more complex~

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So beautiful...I am very touched by the lyrics of this song. To me, it seems like a song celebrating their relationship and how important they are to each other :cry: I teared up a little! I kept getting flashbacks of some of the hard times they had this season (i.e. Alex getting very sick at 4CC and Maia looking so concerned!). Their choreography also seems more complex~

I loved it too! Very beautiful. I'm looking forward to see what they bring next season...

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Isabella Cannuscio to partner with Michael Bramante

I just happened to come across a happy announcement on "Ice-dance.com."

Isabella Cannuscio officially announced that she will be partnering with Michael Bramante. :) According to Isabella, "We will be training in DE under Karen Ludington, Sasha Kirsanov, and Christie Moxley. We are both very happy and anxious to start training. We will spend the next two months preparing for Lake Placid, and look forward to debuting our programs there."

I wish Isabella and Michael the best luck.
Can't wait to see their programs at Lake Placid! ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Excellent news!

And Jean-Luc Baker will be skating with Kaitlyn Hawayek, and they are being coached in Detroit.

Jean-Luc was amazing with his previous partner, Joylyn Yang, at US Nationals in 2011. Joylyn retired due to a severe injury. I'm so glad to see Jean-Luc skating again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Zy_V2VKVM

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating just tweeted a nice photo:
Taken at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Dance Camp, here are the 2012 U.S. ice dancing champions at all five levels! pic.twitter.com/17wXfFLu"
1:57 PM - 25 Jun 12​

The photo has no caption identifying the skaters by name, but AFAIK, they are:
  • Davis/White
  • Aldridge/Eaton
  • Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber
  • Gigi and Luca Becker
  • Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Doris: Skate Canada also has a heavy hand in programs and costumes. The dress that Tessa wore to Team Camp the year they skated to Umbrellas was deemed unsuitable by Skate Canada and that was changed. I saw the costume at Thornhill and they were right. The dress was so voluminious that it was a distraction. I also know that they asked Jeff Buttle to change his costume the first season he skated to Samson & Delilah. They said his original costume (the infamous Barney Rubble outfit) made Jeff look pale and washed out and would not show up well on TV.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for your interesting observations and memories, Dragonlady. I looked up a photo of Virtue's Thornhill dress, and I see what you (and Skate Canada) mean about its very full skirt and underskirt as distractions. It's a darling dress in a pretty color, but I can understand why her subsequent Umbrellas costumes, which were simpler and more elegant, were preferable for competitions. [Don't want to risk violating GS guidelines so am not linking to the photo. :eek:hwell:]

ETA:
I have now hyperlinked above to the Thornhill photo on ice-dance.com. Thanks to Tonichelle for assuring me that the link is fine by GS rules.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry about Emily Samuelson...I wish her all the best and hopefully she will soon find a good partner who fits to her well. :yes:

btw, I have decided to root for Hubbell & Donohue among US Ice dance teams this coming season! :party::party:
They became my favorite team since 2012 US Nats. Especially Zach Donohue! :love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As results are coming in from LPIDC, it looks like Chock & Bates are in the driver's seat for the TBA spot at Skate America...but she should be restrained from making her own costumes, IMO.

The photos look like Igor has given them some interesting lifts, no surprise there.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
It's so common that when even a very talented person sets out to design costumes, they fall into the mistake of doing too much embellishment.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Hopefully, the folks at Champ's Camp will tell her to remove a few things ;)

Madison is very young however. She just turned 20 this month, if I remember.

nylynnr

On the Ice
It's so common that when even a very talented person sets out to design costumes, they fall into the mistake of doing too much embellishment.

That may be true, and I don't know if you're speaking of the Zhivago dress or the Cirque de Soleil, but if it's the latter she is playing a circus performer, and the costume is intentionally over-embellished. That said, we all know costumes change all the time.