Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: All Things Ice Dance: American

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's clear that Champs Camp must be an ordeal, with USFS poised to disapprove or your programs, not to mention your costumes.

I wonder whether other federations have quite as heavy a hand.

I will never criticize any of these kids for their music choice or costume choice again, since they do not seem to have as much control over it as I had thought. (well....maybe occasionally criticize...just for practice )

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's clear that Champs Camp must be an ordeal, with USFS poised to disapprove or your programs, not to mention your costumes.

I wonder whether other federations have quite as heavy a hand.

I will never criticize any of these kids for their music choice or costume choice again, since they do not seem to have as much control over it as I had thought. (well....maybe occasionally criticize...just for practice )
    On the other hand if D/W didn't get their original music rejected at Champs Camp we wouldn't have had the glorious Die Fledermaus piece we saw this season!

They are both 25, and by virtue of when their birthdays are, Charlie entered UMich a year behind Meryl. According to their offical website, Meryl graduated from high school in June 2005, so Charlie would have graduated the following year. I believe they took the Olympic year off? I'm not sure, but I think I heard that.

I like Charlie's favorite quote:

Quote: “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It’s not about winning. It’s about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn’t let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasn’t one more thing you could’ve done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love and joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman – you’re perfect…”

~Friday Night Lights (the movie)

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    They are both 25, and by virtue of when their birthdays are, Charlie entered UMich a year behind Meryl. According to their offical website, Meryl graduated from high school in June 2005, so Charlie would have graduated the following year. I believe they took the Olympic year off? I'm not sure, but I think I heard that.

I like Charlie's favorite quote:
    So including the time off, it will have taken nine years for Meryl to finish school. Not bad considering she was busy winning medals and all.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    No rest for the motivated :

‏@CharlieaWhite
    "SOI Canada was a great time! But relieved to be home. Off season?! Naw not really, time to get it going."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    So including the time off, it will have taken nine years for Meryl to finish school. Not bad considering she was busy winning medals and all.
    That reminds me of Michelle Kwan giving that commencement speech in Vermont and saying with a laugh that she had attended college "on the ten-year plan." I admire perseverance! And Michelle then got her Master's in the usual time of about two years. Paul Wylie also took a rather extended time to finish his B.A. and then got an MBA.

Alex just tweeted a link to a video of the Shibutanis' new exhibition program:

http://twitter.com/#!/AlexShibutani/...29005375135744

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Alex just tweeted a link to a video of the Shibutanis' new exhibition program:

http://twitter.com/#!/AlexShibutani/...29005375135744
    So beautiful...I am very touched by the lyrics of this song. To me, it seems like a song celebrating their relationship and how important they are to each other I teared up a little! I kept getting flashbacks of some of the hard times they had this season (i.e. Alex getting very sick at 4CC and Maia looking so concerned!). Their choreography also seems more complex~

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    So beautiful...I am very touched by the lyrics of this song. To me, it seems like a song celebrating their relationship and how important they are to each other I teared up a little! I kept getting flashbacks of some of the hard times they had this season (i.e. Alex getting very sick at 4CC and Maia looking so concerned!). Their choreography also seems more complex~
    I loved it too! Very beautiful. I'm looking forward to see what they bring next season...

Custom Title

Isabella Cannuscio to partner with Michael Bramante

I just happened to come across a happy announcement on "Ice-dance.com."

Isabella Cannuscio officially announced that she will be partnering with Michael Bramante. According to Isabella, "We will be training in DE under Karen Ludington, Sasha Kirsanov, and Christie Moxley. We are both very happy and anxious to start training. We will spend the next two months preparing for Lake Placid, and look forward to debuting our programs there."

I wish Isabella and Michael the best luck.
    Can't wait to see their programs at Lake Placid!

Excellent news!

And Jean-Luc Baker will be skating with Kaitlyn Hawayek, and they are being coached in Detroit.

Jean-Luc was amazing with his previous partner, Joylyn Yang, at US Nationals in 2011. Joylyn retired due to a severe injury. I'm so glad to see Jean-Luc skating again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Zy_V2VKVM
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-26-2012 at 04:18 AM.

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating just tweeted a nice photo:
    Taken at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Dance Camp, here are the 2012 U.S. ice dancing champions at all five levels! pic.twitter.com/17wXfFLu"
    1:57 PM - 25 Jun 12

The photo has no caption identifying the skaters by name, but AFAIK, they are:
    • Davis/White
    • Aldridge/Eaton
    • Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber
    • Gigi and Luca Becker
    • Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville

Custom Title
    Doris: Skate Canada also has a heavy hand in programs and costumes. The dress that Tessa wore to Team Camp the year they skated to Umbrellas was deemed unsuitable by Skate Canada and that was changed. I saw the costume at Thornhill and they were right. The dress was so voluminious that it was a distraction. I also know that they asked Jeff Buttle to change his costume the first season he skated to Samson & Delilah. They said his original costume (the infamous Barney Rubble outfit) made Jeff look pale and washed out and would not show up well on TV.

Thanks for your interesting observations and memories, Dragonlady. I looked up a photo of Virtue's Thornhill dress, and I see what you (and Skate Canada) mean about its very full skirt and underskirt as distractions. It's a darling dress in a pretty color, but I can understand why her subsequent Umbrellas costumes, which were simpler and more elegant, were preferable for competitions. [Don't want to risk violating GS guidelines so am not linking to the photo. ]

ETA:
    I have now hyperlinked above to the Thornhill photo on ice-dance.com. Thanks to Tonichelle for assuring me that the link is fine by GS rules.
    Last edited by golden411; 06-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I may end up in trouble for saying this, but I would prefer to see Emily Samuelson with any of these gents than her current partner.
    You got your wish... (At least half of it)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast