Chinese pair Zhang & Zhang to split? | Golden Skate

Chinese pair Zhang & Zhang to split?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think his injuries the last couple years keep happening since she has gotten too tall and big for him, even as strong as he is. So I am not surprised. Maybe they should think about trying singles or a show career in Asia though. I dont see him gelling with another partner soon enough for 2014, and he will be pretty old after that (only 29 but with a 40 year body considering how long he has been a top Senior competitor, and all his injuries).

bsfan

On the Ice
I think his injuries the last couple years keep happening since she has gotten too tall and big for him, even as strong as he is. So I am not surprised. Maybe they should think about trying singles or a show career in Asia though. I dont see him gelling with another partner soon enough for 2014, and he will be pretty old after that (only 29 but with a 40 year body considering how long he has been a top Senior competitor, and all his injuries).

But without the 'big medal', a show careeer won't be that profitable. Plus the federation has invested so much on them, they would want them (or him/her) to win something.

A little bit OTT, I wish I could have kept getting taller at 25.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Rumours and speculations are rampant among Chinese skating fans and Peng's partner has "twittered" much sadness.

One big issue is the age difference between Hao and his potential new partner. Is there any possibility closer to his age? How could a new partnership be ready for Sochi in 2 years? What is she supposed to do when he retires soon? Who would be Hao's post retirement show partner?

I would like to see Dan try Singles because she is a good jumper, one thing that a new partner for Hao would be hard pressed to match.

But without the 'big medal', a show careeer won't be that profitable. Plus the federation has invested so much on them, they would want them (or him/her) to win something.

Don't forget the Zhangs' Olympic Silver medal in 2006, in the most courageous and heroic fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHbfbf138w

A little bit OTT, I wish I could have kept getting taller at 25.

I'm sure Dan and many others wish she didn't. Such an unfortunate anomaly for a Pairs skater.

Last edited:

bsfan

On the Ice
Don't forget the Zhangs' Olympic Silver medal in 2006, in the most courageous and heroic fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaHbfbf138w

In China, the Olympic gold makes huge difference for a sportman's post retirement life. Especially since S/Z already got a gold, and P/T got a silver also. That's why some teams just hang on there hoping to get the ultimate gold. The 'system' only recognizes GOLD medals.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
In China, the Olympic gold makes huge difference for a sportman's post retirement life. Especially since S/Z already got a gold, and P/T got a silver also. That's why some teams just hang on there hoping to get the ultimate gold. The 'system' only recognizes GOLD medals.

Well there comes a point of delusion. Some things are just not going to happen. Neither Zhang will ever become an Olympic Champion at this point, that is already about 110% obvious and it is unfair to place that now completely unrealistic burden on either one, when that ship sailed long ago.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

If Zhang/Zhang don't matter, there wouldn't be so much interest and speculation on the matter under discussion. Z/Z, P/T, and even S/Z before the OGM have been admired and loved by Chinese fans for so many reasons including their international competitive success. S/Z are the only Chinese skaters with an eventual OGM so you are saying they are the only ones recognized by the "system"?

I doubt very much these teams just hang on there hoping for the ultimate gold. They know their chances. Z/Z were realistic about their come back after a year off with his injury. With their return P/T were relieved to take some rest without having to carry the torch. Tong had said they were just hoping to medal at last Worlds, eventually finishing 4th. Mainly they are hanging on to keep China's spots until the young ones can take over. I think all 3 pioneering teams have earned their respect and admiration with and without OGM, even by the "system".

Not even the "developed" and historically winning skating nations and federations could be so high nosed that only OGM is recognized.

bsfan

On the Ice
If Zhang/Zhang don't matter, there wouldn't be so much interest and speculation on the matter under discussion. Z/Z, P/T, and even S/Z before the OGM have been admired and loved by Chinese fans for so many reasons including their international competitive success. S/Z are the only Chinese skaters with an eventual OGM so you are saying they are the only ones recognized by the "system"?

I doubt very much these teams just hang on there hoping for the ultimate gold. They know their chances. Z/Z were realistic about their come back after a year off with his injury. With their return P/T were relieved to take some rest without having to carry the torch. Tong had said they were just hoping to medal at last Worlds, eventually finishing 4th. Mainly they are hanging on to keep China's spots until the young ones can take over. I think all 3 pioneering teams have earned their respect and admiration with and without OGM, even by the "system".

Not even the "developed" and historically winning skating nations and federations could be so high nosed that only OGM is recognized.

Fans' love can't make the post-retirement life that much difference. Commercial opportunities and 'system' recognization(= opportunities in other areas) do. Don't you watch CCTVs? We count number of GMs. There is fundemental difference btw GM and other colors. Many become fans because of media reports. Without big medal, the media won't pay much attention. Last year P/T might justhang on to keep China's spots. But not the case for S/Z a few years back. They wanted the GM.

It's not about high-nosed or not. There are so many govenment sponsored athletes there, and so many GMs have been earned. FS is not a big sport there anyway. Z/Z is called 'forever #2'(means they never got gold). It is sad. I don't feel they want to retire as it, esp. Hao Zhang.

mousepotato

On the Ice
The fact is only one can win and Olympic Gold Medal; so out of S/S, P/T, Z/Z, K/S, V/T, someone is going home unhappy but will still have a great show career if they still want to. Although I have a feeling if V/T get a silver they may be back for 2018. ;)

I would rather wait for official confirmation and not a rumor from someone on FSU but if they can continue apart I would love to see it. I'm not sure she has all the jumps to compete in singles though.

feraina

Record Breaker
One strong candidate is Peng Cheng (17), a strong jumper.

I wish the new pair luck.

But she looks really juniorish. And having such a large age gap, I can't see them having good chemistry either. People think MBM and
Rockne Brubaker are too far apart in real and skating age, this pairing will be much worse. She might be 17 but she looks/skates like 13, certainly younger than Yu Xiaoyu,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Xiaoyu
and not nearly the same maturity/basic skating skills as Yu or MBM.
I mean, I guess she could have a transformative off-season, and come back looking suddenly much more polished and mature by CoC, but... seems unlikely. MBM was a very good singles skater, and is very talented and dedicated in general, and look how long it's taking her to gel with Rockne. Isn't there anyone in China more compatible as a partner for Hao Zhang?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... People think MBM and Rockne Brubaker are too far apart in real and skating age ...

MBM was a very good singles skater, and is very talented and dedicated in general, and look how long it's taking her to gel with Rockne ...

In their second season together, Marley and Brubaker already had "gelled" sufficiently to earn the US silver medal and 4CC bronze. Is that really considered such a long time? :scratch:

ETA:
Marley and Brubaker are almost 9 years apart in chronological age. But the same was true for Denney and Barrett, who won three US medals, including gold; and who twice placed in the top ten at Worlds.
And Denney and Coughlin are about 8 1/2 years apart.
Just saying ...

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It's not about high-nosed or not. There are so many govenment sponsored athletes there, and so many GMs have been earned. FS is not a big sport there anyway. Z/Z is called 'forever #2'(means they never got gold). It is sad. I don't feel they want to retire as it, esp. Hao Zhang.

Isnt it better to retire as "forever #2" then retire like Fumie Suguri?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'd like to see the top Chinese pairs mix it up. Both pairs are Olympic silver medalists, so why not have Pang skate with Zhang and Zhang skate with Tong?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'd like to see the top Chinese pairs mix it up. Both pairs are Olympic silver medalists, so why not have Pang skate with Zhang and Zhang skate with Tong?
If only you knew Pang and Tong's journey to their career success and pending marriage, you would not suggest that.

I did a little research into S/Z's as well as P/T's beginning and told part of their stories here.

When Tong found himself falling in love with Pang, he consulted his coach who told him Pang would be the only one who would truly understand him because of all that they had gone through together.

While American Pairs play musical chairs, these Chinese partners struggle and stay together for 15 years, and then they marry each other. :) The Zhangs are not following suit to become lovers though.

bsfan

On the Ice
Isnt it better to retire as "forever #2" then retire like Fumie Suguri?

This is your (and my) view. But their retirement is not decided just by themselves.

In Chinese forum, they mentioned that Peng Cheng's now former partner blogged about their split and he was feeling sad.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
They weren't my fav team but I liked them. I wish the best of luck to Dan in her new life and I'm curious to see Hao with his new partner.