Online viewing 2012/2013 | Golden Skate

Online viewing 2012/2013

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
Does anyone know if the Russian CnopT network, which had last season's GP events will have them this coming season. From what I gather, Universal sports is going towards an authentication model which would require you to prove you are a cable or satellite subscriber, instead of simply charging a separate fee to view sports events like they do now,and they intend to debut the system during the Summer Olympics. IceNetwork's prices are too exorbitant.

I can get CnopT using a VPN, so it would be great if they had the GP events again. I use one VPN service now that is only $10 a month

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
most networks won't give out that info until late summer/early fall.

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
And here is even more bad news. Universal Sports has become exclusive to Dish Network subscribers, so Universal will not be an option for watching the Grand Prix. I have heard stories of people having all kinds of problems with IceNetwork, and using a VPN to get Cnopt2 is frustrating, because the VPN gets overloaded and disconnects. It seems a lot of people are also using the VPN for P2P and BittTorrent file sharing, because of Russia's lax copyright laws, compared to those of Western countries. I about went nuts last season, when I had to use that VPN to watch SA and the VPN connection kept dying on me.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
my cable provider doesn't have it either. the russian feeds worked sometimes for me las year, but streaming is an issue...to get IN or not when it freezes too. Well, the top few get on youtube but that's not like seeing the competition. Wish ESPN would cover skating again, such a loss to the sport to be so marginalized in coverage.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have DirectTV & get Universal Sports.

yup but you have to buy a special sports package... so stupid as we already have the channels offered with it... but it's still 13 bucks a month to add it!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IN does put up the event archived. If I'm having trouble with their streaming live, I watch on archived replay later.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just can't justify the cost of them charging me 3-4 times for the service and not being customer service friendly about fixing it.

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
IN does put up the event archived. If I'm having trouble with their streaming live, I watch on archived replay later.

Read the fine print on IN coverage, and you will find that all GP evnets, other than SA, this season, will only be avaialable in on demand form, one week after the competition is competed, so only those who are tech-saavy enough to know how to use a VPN, and get it from a foreign broadcast will be able to get it live, if they are in the USA. Unless, by some miracle, NTV picks it up again, and we can get it on WebTV, most of us in the USA are pretty much out of luck for watching it live, other than SA.

As far as Universal's decision to only allow Dish network subscribers to access their online content, I sent them a nasty, and I mean nasty, Email, venting my displeasure over their desicion, and using the F-word quite heavily. I did not mince my words, when I vented my displeasure over their decision and let them know just how :mad: I am over what they have done.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I know that. But generally, if using IN, I watch on demand anyway.

Last year I had US, but with the Comcast debacle, I no longer have it, and I changed to TVCC and told Comcast why.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As far as Universal's decision to only allow Dish network subscribers to access their online content, I sent them a nasty, and I mean nasty, Email, venting my displeasure over their desicion, and using the F-word quite heavily. I did not mince my words, when I vented my displeasure over their decision and let them know just how :mad: I am over what they have done.

Honestly I think all you did by "using the F-word" is get them to throw your email out. When I worked in customer service I was less likely to "understand" the "other side" when they were using vulgar language. There's a better way to get the point across. (You know, flies with honey vs vinegar thing)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Read the fine print on IN coverage, and you will find that all GP evnets, other than SA, this season, will only be avaialable in on demand form, one week after the competition is competed, so only those who are tech-saavy enough to know how to use a VPN, and get it from a foreign broadcast will be able to get it live, if they are in the USA. Unless, by some miracle, NTV picks it up again, and we can get it on WebTV, most of us in the USA are pretty much out of luck for watching it live, other than SA.

Actually the online content is not exclusive to DISH. It is exclusive to anyone who has Universal Sports as part of their TV viewing package. Both Directv and Dish have Universal Sports as part of a sports package. Dish had a free preview for a while but it is not permanent and you will have to have the sports package in order to see Universal Sports.

It's pretty much the same as NBC requiring a cable or satellite account registration in order to see their live streaming for the Olympics. It's too bad Comcast still can't find a way to provide Universal Sports. I'm not sure if this gamble will pay off for Universal Sports. I hope most people will complain to Comcast at least as much as to Universal Sports.

I wonder if it would be an idea for Universal to offer programming as part of Netflix or some other online platform.

Last edited:

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
I'm not sure if this gamble will pay off for Universal Sports. I hope most people will complain to Comcast at least as much as to Universal Sports.

I wonder if it would be an idea for Universal to offer programming as part of Netflix or some other online platform.

I would not be surprised if more people sent angry profanity-laced Emails to Universal, their decision is that stupid and moronic.

As for Netflix, how much would they want to pay to get Universal. The deal-breaker with Starz was they they wanted Netflix to charge their customers even more to get Starz, and Netflix was not about to do that, because one other price increase cost them too many customers, and they did not want to lose anymore of them.

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
Honestly I think all you did by "using the F-word" is get them to throw your email out. When I worked in customer service I was less likely to "understand" the "other side" when they were using vulgar language. There's a better way to get the point across. (You know, flies with honey vs vinegar thing)

Their decision is so stupid and moronic, that they only thing that will get their attention is more people started sending them profanity laced Emails to vent their displeasure over what they have done. If enough people do that, it will get their attention.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Their decision is so stupid and moronic, that they only thing that will get their attention is more people started sending them profanity laced Emails to vent their displeasure over what they have done. If enough people do that, it will get their attention.
I think one can express displeasure in a very clear and attention-getting way without resorting to profanity, and I say that as someone who has no problem with using profanity in conversation - but there is a time and place for everything. My experience with companies and service providers is that you have to be clear about your displeasure and to really mean it, and there are many ways to accomplish that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think one can express displeasure in a very clear and attention-getting way without resorting to profanity, and I say that as someone who has no problem with using profanity in conversation - but there is a time and place for everything. My experience with companies and service providers is that you have to be clear about your displeasure and to really mean it, and there are many ways to accomplish that.

exactly

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
Someone mentioned TV Teka on the other board. If Cnopt2 has the GP, Europeans, and Worlds, again, it would be worth it. That would allow me to get every major international event except the 4cs, and Russian TV would obviously not be carrying the 4cs, since Russia does not compete there. So I guess only Dish and DirecTV subscribers will have access to the 4cs.

Does anyone know whether or not Cnopt2 will have the GP events again this season? TVTeka has CnopT1 and CnopT2, while WebTV has NTV. Does anyone know which Russian sports network will have it, so I know which Russian TV service to subscribe toi?

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
I have found out that TV Tekka has all the Russian sports channels likely to carry skating (NTV, Cnopt channels, Poccna 2) and costing way less than WebTV. I can get a whole year for just $120, which will let me watch a lot of sports. This will let me get every major skating event except 4cs and US Nationals. And if you want to watch GP events live, without having to use a less than reliable VPN to do so, this may be your only option.

monikawi

Rinkside
According to the statement on the TV program Grand Prix will broadcast channel SPORTS - not Sport1 or 2, but only SPORT :)
Unfortunately, I could not find it on the WEB TV or TVTEKA. It is possible to watch it online somewhere outside Russia? Payment?

AnnikinSolo

Rinkside
According to the statement on the TV program Grand Prix will broadcast channel SPORTS - not Sport1 or 2, but only SPORT :)
Unfortunately, I could not find it on the WEB TV or TVTEKA. It is possible to watch it online somewhere outside Russia? Payment?

It turns out that Sport is the company that owns Cnopt1 and Cnopt2, so it will be on one of those two channels. Just check the schedules on TVTeka when the time draws near. So it looks like we are pretty much set for every event this season, except 4cs and US Nationals, since it appears that only Dish network subscribers will be able to get those events. Hopefully they won't pre-empt events on Saturdays for Premeier League Soccer like NTV did they they had the GP events. Hopefully IceNetwork will, somehow, be able to get Universal to sell streaming rights to 4cs and US Nationals to them, but I doubt that will happen.