Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Most Mentally Tough Skater

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't agree about Chan and Takahashi. Both fall in their programs quite often, and I think they'd be more consistent if they were more mentally tough. Patrick especially has a lot of 'loss of focus' moments. I do agree about Plushenko, and also Yagudin, Stojko, and Lysacek. Out of the current group of men's skaters, I don't think very many of them ARE mentally tough. Actually, I don't find many of the women that mentally tough either, even Yu-Na Kim has her bad moments.
    Rena Inoue, Yuko Kavaguti, and hopefully Gracie Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Really?!
    Oh, yes. Look at the 6 min. practice of the final group at Torino 2006. In that tension he didn't melt down like others.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Honorable mentions:

Joannie Rochette-- I don't know how she competed after losing her mother. She earned a gold medal in my mind.
    Yelena Berezhnaya-- How she competed after an injury like that, and how she found the way to trust a new partner...

Plushenko
    Yagudin
    Witt
    Totmianina & Marinin

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Rena Inoue, Yuko Kavaguti, and hopefully Gracie Gold.
    I did forget about those three for a moment. They sure are tough, since Yuko Kavaguti once just popped her dislocated shoulder back in and continued skating!

Rinkside
    Joannie Rochette has to be my choice by far!

Brian Boitano
    Evan Lysacek

I'm not sure that I agree about Patrick Chan. How can you not be mentally tough when you know going into a competition that your skills are superior to your competitors?

Yagudin
    Kim
    Witt
    Kwan
    Plushenko
    Shen and Zhao
    Suzuki
    Wagner

Custom Title
    I would think Katarina Witt is one of the toughest competitors. She always got the job done and she also managed to influence and intimidate other skaters - Poor Kira Ivanova died so tragically and was always stared down by Witt. Other than the Olympics Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browing were solid. Plushenko has to be up there as well as Totmiana and Marinin, Sadly in a way Jennifer RObinson was mentally tough. She never seemed to get it that the judges thought she was slow but she skated out there like she was the champion even when the judges and her nation were ready to throw her under a bus. Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi were hardcore. IMHO Kim, Rochette, Chan, Takahashi, Suzuki and definitely Wagner have not shown consistency in respect to toughness. Although he was the Susan Lucci of figure skating, Brian Orser showed a cerain amount of mental toughness always being so consistently up in first or second. Artur Demetrieve and his partners but especially him were mentally tough even when he was out of physical shape. G and G were tough cookies too usually getting the job done. Irina Rodina now she was mentally tough even after giving birth - to come out and fight year in and year out with the young ones. Kudos to her.

Alissa Czisny. Anyone else would just give up if they fell five times in a row. Alissa never backs off the next attempt no matter what.

Some folks thought she should have withdrawn before the long program at worlds, having suffered one disaster after another in her previous outings. Nope. Somehow she found the grit to push herself though in a situation that, psychologically, would have crushed the will of a less determined fighter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I agree about Plushenko but also Chan and Takahashi but not Lysacek. His fear of injury was so great he stopped doing quads even when he was fine. Takahashi had to miss a whole season and came back with quads. Chan never stops attempting things even when he falls. That is mental toughness. Not giving up on things for fear.
    Actually Takahashi came back trying to jump a quad in season 2009-2010, but was unsuccessful. Lysacek was injured , had to withdraw from 2008 Worlds. After that practicing quad was not possible for quite some time. He apparently tried to have the quad back for the 2010 Olympics, but was not able to practice it enough to get it consistent (as we saw in 2010 Nationals). In my opinion it is the best strategy to leave a jump out if it is not 80 % consistent AND if one realizes that the foot cannot handle practising it, yet. One must listen to one´s body.... He also had an injury he suffered from in and after the 2009 Worlds. It seems that these old injuries have now healed as he seems to be practicing it now and then. If the foot can´t handle the hard practicing even now, well, we will see.

Stojko
    Yagudin
    Plushenko
    Lysacek

From lady skaters Katerina Witt and from pairs skaters Irina Rodnina.
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-13-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Miki Ando for me

Custom Title
    Miki Ando
    Michelle Kwan
    Sarah Hughes
    Irina Slutskaya- In every sense of the term
    Joannie Rochette
    Caroline Zhang
    Alexei Yagudin
    Kurt Browning
    Maxim Marinin
    Tatiana Totmianina
    Last edited by Irishflip; 06-04-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Custom Title
    I think Caroline Zhang has been the most mentally tough US female skater for a while (as of late, I'll give it to Ashley Wager). She's the definition of showing in competition what she shows in practice-- which is why I'm so excited to see what this upcoming year will bring! When is champs camp again?

i'm surprised no one mentioned rachael flatt. she's been the most consistent skater in recent years for the US. of course last season she wasn't "reliable Rachael" but in all years before that she was so dependable and never let any pressure get to her. she's incredibly mentally tough for being able to put out clean skate after clean skate when it mattered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast