The Most Mentally Tough Skater | Golden Skate

The Most Mentally Tough Skater

fure

Rinkside
Who do you think is the most mentally tough skater, the one who doesn't buckle under pressure, and delivers when it matters? :cool:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Of all time, probably Michelle Kwan or Alexei Yagudin.

Of the currents, probably Chan

icewalker

Spectator
1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Evan Lysacek
3. Patrick Chan
4. YuNa Kim
5. Akiko Suzuki

I would have to agree with your choices. Patrick is not my favorite skater but he does manage to get over several nasty things that come his way and still skate well. Plushenko is in a league of his own I think.

figuristka

Medalist
Past skaters
Elvis Stojko
Alexei Yagudin
Evgeni Plushenko (yes can be a present skater too)

Present
Patrick Chan
Daisuke Takahashi (when quad is more consistant)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There is a difference between being mentally tough in general, dealing with challenges in life and in training, and the mental toughness on ice in a competition which is about the ability to focus on the moment. E.g. Patrick lost the latter at the Olympics but demonstrated the former in using it to propel him forward. He has since shown a lot of the latter as well. Kurt, OTOH, lost the latter twice at the most crucial events though there is no question about his general mental strength and tenacity. One can't be a 4 time World Champion without the mental toughness.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'd say--bar none, Katarina Witt.

Kwan and Plushenko after, then Chan.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't agree about Chan and Takahashi. Both fall in their programs quite often, and I think they'd be more consistent if they were more mentally tough. Patrick especially has a lot of 'loss of focus' moments. I do agree about Plushenko, and also Yagudin, Stojko, and Lysacek. Out of the current group of men's skaters, I don't think very many of them ARE mentally tough. Actually, I don't find many of the women that mentally tough either, even Yu-Na Kim has her bad moments.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I agree about Plushenko but also Chan and Takahashi but not Lysacek. His fear of injury was so great he stopped doing quads even when he was fine. Takahashi had to miss a whole season and came back with quads. Chan never stops attempting things even when he falls. That is mental toughness. Not giving up on things for fear.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan
Shen/Zhao (2003 Worlds, need I say more)
Plushenko

cinnamon

On the Ice
I don't agree about Chan and Takahashi. Both fall in their programs quite often, and I think they'd be more consistent if they were more mentally tough. Patrick especially has a lot of 'loss of focus' moments. I do agree about Plushenko, and also Yagudin, Stojko, and Lysacek. Out of the current group of men's skaters, I don't think very many of them ARE mentally tough. Actually, I don't find many of the women that mentally tough either, even Yu-Na Kim has her bad moments.
Rena Inoue, Yuko Kavaguti, and hopefully Gracie Gold.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Honorable mentions:

Joannie Rochette-- I don't know how she competed after losing her mother. She earned a gold medal in my mind.
Yelena Berezhnaya-- How she competed after an injury like that, and how she found the way to trust a new partner...