Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season? | Golden Skate

Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season?

russell30

Final Flight
Well Johnny and Evan are planning a comeback next season, Plushenko already has and Miki might if her motivational level is there (Miki has asked for her SP to be arranged) and Joannie its a yes or a no depending on her day.

I know there is a Yu Na thread, but is Yu Na enjoying the high life too much and will skip the 2012-2013 or are there plans for her comeback, or has she hung her competitive skates up!!

L

lowtherlore

She said she will make the decision about next season during the summer. I don't know about her enjoying high life. It seems her days are mostly spent on school classes, training sessions and occasional endorsement events/obligations. Reportedly she trains almost everyday, and I think she still sees herself first as an athlete. She also said she would know when to call it quits. It of course would depend on whether she would be able to regain and maintain the competitive drive. We will get a hint by the end of summer.

cosmos

On the Ice
YuNa is thinking about her plan next season. She said she will make the decision (compete or not) in summer. She still practices three hours everyday so once she decides to come back there will be little physical problem.

glam

On the Ice
YuNa is thinking about her plan next season. She said she will make the decision (compete or not) in summer. She still practices three hours everyday so once she decides to come back there will be little physical problem.

Three hours every day is a lot!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Miki I am certain will comeback
Weir has a better chance of returning that Lysacek

as for Yuna, she should decide on what her current condition is
but with 2 years off, she might be hesitant,

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Miki I am certain will comeback
Weir has a better chance of returning that Lysacek

as for Yuna, she should decide on what her current condition is
but with 2 years off, she might be hesitant,

Why does Weir have a better chance than Evan? Evan is WC and OGM. He is confident, consistent and an exciting skater. I think he'd be supported very much by USFS despite the past money issues/disagreements. Maybe Evan has a more realistic attitude now as to the money simply not being in the sport anymore. I do not understand the disrespect Evan gets mainly from US fans or people who are still upset he rightly beat Plushenko in 2010. I am a big Plush fan and look what he did this past season given his knee issues/age etc. It was inspiring, and Evan is that kind of worker/talent. People act like Evan is somehow lacking because he won the OGM without a quad. Shizuka Arakawa was very restrained, and did not do the technical content she could have. She was a great athlete but she was a beautiful but underwhelming OGM. No one slams her.

I do not get the direspect Evan seems to engender. He is a real compeitor-he has it all except maybe a consistent quad. Yes, he'd be a long shot, but I think he'd at least make us proud of whatever he put out there. Johnny may be putting out videos of quads or quad combos, but he is not a competitor. I do like his skating when he is serious. His show programs are OK but the flamboyance gets boring teamed with the Lady Gaga worship.

Adam Rippon was my hope when he came on the scene, but he has a number of issues as a competitor, though he is a beautiful artist on the ice.

Seriously, I just wonder why people think Evan is just blowing smoke rings, whereas Johnny is truly a man of his word and not a publicity hound. It would be fun to see them both try, as there are only two world class skaters from the US in my eyes who compete as seniors. Sadly, one has done all he can and he really is done, I think. Jeremy has peaked and I think we have seen him finish. Rippon is still young, but i see a frightened deer. I would love to see him prove me wrong about his ability to compete and handle pressure. I think Dornbush and Miner have their good points, but there are so many international skaters that leave them unnoticed in the dust. The younger skaters don't impress me as being able to compete with the men of Japan, Canada, Russia, Europe. But I have not watched all the jr compeitions. I just can't find a currently competing US male older than nathan Chen to get excited about. This season many change my outlook for US skating outside of dance. I hope so.

So Evan returning is not the craziest idea. No one acts like Yuna returning is an insane idea. I think evan can pretty much consistify (a new word, LOL) his quad if he wanted to work really hard. I think it is understandable if he does not want to do the OGM quest again, just like I understand why Yuna might not want to put herself through it. Both have reputation points to lose, but people quickly forgot the results of Witt, Boitano, Browning, T&D etc. in 1994.

I would love to see Weir and Evan work their way back to elite form for many reasons.

skateluvr, I think sky_fly20 means that Johnny is more likely to comeback than Evan is. Not considering aspect of results. But I totally agree with your opinion about Evan.

Krislite

Medalist

So Evan returning is not the craziest idea. No one acts like Yuna returning is an insane idea. I think evan can pretty much consistify (a new word, LOL) his quad if he wanted to work really hard. I think it is understandable if he does not want to do the OGM quest again, just like I understand why Yuna might not want to put herself through it. Both have reputation points to lose, but people quickly forgot the results of Witt, Boitano, Browning, T&D etc. in 1994.

Yuna might lose reputation points in the short-run by returning to competition in bad shape, but her place in figure skating history is set, no matter what she does at this point. Witt is still remembered for her two Olympic golds and her Carmen program, not what she did in 1994. In fact most of I time I think of her I can't even recall her 1994 Olympics performance, unless someone mentions it like you just did. If Yuna never returns to competition, then in time very few will be able to recall her Worlds 2010 and 2011 performances.

She's won everything, though, so I don't think she'll ever be able to adequately answer the key motivating question "Why?" Skaters like Michelle endured for years but one of the biggest motivation was Olympic glory. Similarly for a lot of "old" skaters like Carolina or Miki or Akiko, the promise of a World or Olympic medal is a big carrot. What's left for Yuna? More money and more gold medals? Somehow she doesn't seem like the kind to want to stack gold medals and amass more money that already does.

She, of course, might still be vulnerable to external pressures--like in Worlds 2010 and 2011. I hope that's not what "motivates" her to return, though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan has a better shot of coming back than Johnny. A comeback from Evan would probably net a silver at Nationals and a 6th or 7th place at Worlds. A comeback from Johnny wuold probably just net a 6th or 7th place at Nationals. Although for either of them it seems pretty much pointless, as even Evan's likely results arent worthwhile a past Olympic and World winner coming back for.

Anyway back on topic I never expect to see Kim back. Her lackadaisical efforts at the 2010 and 2011 Worlds, despite nearly winning both, say it all. Miki Ando might come back but I dont expect her to be competitive if she does, and quite possibly miss the Japanese World team altogether.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Why does Weir have a better chance than Evan? Evan is WC and OGM. He is confident, consistent and an exciting skater. I think he'd be supported very much by USFS despite the past money issues/disagreements. Maybe Evan has a more realistic attitude now as to the money simply not being in the sport anymore. I do not understand the disrespect Evan gets mainly from US fans or people who are still upset he rightly beat Plushenko in 2010. I am a big Plush fan and look what he did this past season given his knee issues/age etc. It was inspiring, and Evan is that kind of worker/talent. People act like Evan is somehow lacking because he won the OGM without a quad. Shizuka Arakawa was very restrained, and did not do the technical content she could have. She was a great athlete but she was a beautiful but underwhelming OGM. No one slams her.

I do not get the direspect Evan seems to engender. He is a real compeitor-he has it all except maybe a consistent quad. Yes, he'd be a long shot, but I think he'd at least make us proud of whatever he put out there. Johnny may be putting out videos of quads or quad combos, but he is not a competitor. I do like his skating when he is serious. His show programs are OK but the flamboyance gets boring teamed with the Lady Gaga worship.

Adam Rippon was my hope when he came on the scene, but he has a number of issues as a competitor, though he is a beautiful artist on the ice.

Seriously, I just wonder why people think Evan is just blowing smoke rings, whereas Johnny is truly a man of his word and not a publicity hound. It would be fun to see them both try, as there are only two world class skaters from the US in my eyes who compete as seniors. Sadly, one has done all he can and he really is done, I think. Jeremy has peaked and I think we have seen him finish. Rippon is still young, but i see a frightened deer. I would love to see him prove me wrong about his ability to compete and handle pressure. I think Dornbush and Miner have their good points, but there are so many international skaters that leave them unnoticed in the dust. The younger skaters don't impress me as being able to compete with the men of Japan, Canada, Russia, Europe. But I have not watched all the jr compeitions. I just can't find a currently competing US male older than nathan Chen to get excited about. This season many change my outlook for US skating outside of dance. I hope so.

I would love to see Weir and Evan work their way back to elite form for many reasons.

the past has nothing to do with a comeback, based on his current form from his recent EX
he isn't in top form and what are his motivations, to get more publicity for what ?
thats why I see Weir has better chance of a good comeback results

quadless Evan is also technically deficient
let's afce it, not everyone is like Pluschenko who is a God and can comeback anytime

anfd there is no need for Evan as Brown is by far the US superior skater if he can develop just in time for 2014 and also the lesser talent Farris although not as good as Brown technically or artistically can have better impact that Evan's comeback

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan is not quadless, although he had to give up quad for a while because of injuries. Otherwise he might have had to withdraw from the Olympics (like he had to from Worlds 2008). The recent news is that he is jumping this:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3560823&postcount=944

In my opinion, based on past impressions Lysacek is a way more likely comeback than Weir.

anfd there is no need for Evan as Brown is by far the US superior skater if he can develop just in time for 2014 and also the lesser talent Farris although not as good as Brown technically or artistically can have better impact that Evan's comeback

OMG, that is just too funny....

As much as I want her to come back and kick some *** more :D, I don't see that happening either. Well, it was not easy to admit that being that I'm an uber for Yuna. But I lately had some time going through all of my folders of Yuna including photos, all kinds of vids, and interviews and finally clearly realized that competing was her least favorite thing after all those injuries, excruciating pressures from literally everyone on Earth who knows her. And she had consistently revealed her intention to retire after Vancouver whatever the results. So I've reconciled with my super-excitement/expectation for her and just let go of the obsession.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lysaeck may be quadless. He has never done a quad in Olympic competition and hardly ever in world competition. He was said to be landing quads in practice left and right before the US nationals 2010 LP and then when it was in competition - no quad. It was an awful underrotated jump with a fall. Obviously putting a quad into his program leads to disasters. He was not injured 2009-2010 season in any way. The 1998, 2002, and 2006 Olympic winners all did quads. He is lacking. He is inferior and offers nothing to the sport on any level. The whole career is a pretty big regressive disgrace.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lysaeck may be quadless. He has never done a quad in Olympic competition and hardly ever in world competition. He was said to be landing quads in practice left and right before the US nationals 2010 LP and then when it was in competition - no quad. It was an awful underrotated jump with a fall. Obviously putting a quad into his program leads to disasters. He was not injured 2009-2010 season in any way. The 1998, 2002, and 2006 Olympic winners all did quads. He is lacking. He is inferior and offers nothing to the sport on any level. The whole career is a pretty big regressive disgrace.

I remember that after the season 2008-2009 Evan had a cast in his foot for a month. He suffered from injuries and was not able to practice the quad after the 2008 injury.. In my opinion Evan was not inferior at the Olympics, actually he was superiour to be able to win without a quad... The shame is on the quad guys who were not able to beat him. And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I know there is a Yu Na thread, but is Yu Na enjoying the high life too much and will skip the 2012-2013 or are there plans for her comeback, or has she hung her competitive skates up!!

I think Yu-Na's mind changed about skating the minute she won her Olympic gold medal. I remember there being interviews when she was a junior, where she would say she found skating lonely, and that she missed her family. There were worries that she would quit before she got to the Olympics, because it seemed like she hated skating and was only doing it for her country.

However, when the pressure was lifted after winning the Olympics, it seemed that she enjoyed her skating more. Sure, she lost the 2010 and 2011 worlds, but now she seems to be skating for herself.

It seems to happen to a lot of champions. Once you win the Olympics, rather than saying, "now what?" they fall in love with skating all over again. Katarina Witt certainly did in 1994, when she didn't have a chance to even medal in Lillehammer.

I think that would bring Yu Na back--not necessarily to try to recapture gold, but because she truly loves skating and her fans. If she came back and finished 24th in Sochi, it wouldn't tarnish what she did in 2010. Of course, there are other opinions on that...

gmyers

Record Breaker
I remember that after the season 2008-2009 Evan had a cast in his foot for a month. He suffered from injuries and was not able to practice the quad after the 2008 injury.. In my opinion Evan was not inferior at the Olympics, actually he was superiour to be able to win without a quad... The shame is on the quad guys who were not able to beat him. And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.

The issue was that in 2010 he was fine and practicing quads but failed in a spectacular way at US nationals. He can't do quads. The fact that he was able to use COP to regress on jumps and still get high scores on jumps was dramatically reformed by the ISU after the 2010 Olympics. His program was worth too much and the system was changed.

I think that would bring Yu Na back--not necessarily to try to recapture gold, but because she truly loves skating and her fans. If she came back and finished 24th in Sochi, it wouldn't tarnish what she did in 2010. Of course, there are other opinions on that...

I share your thought. I can't understand people who say that if an athlete comes back, he or she risks tarnishing his/her legacy by not winning this time around. How can that be? The glorious performance of YuNa Kim's Olympic long program, with those monster jumps and a clean skate when it mattered the most, can't possibly be erased by anything short of really, really bad behavior involving police officers, judges, and a jury. A sub-par skate would not have that effect. As you say, she could finish dead last, and she'd still be Queen YuNa. This is true for any other skater as well. Anyone who's looking for absolute statistical perfection throughout a whole career will have to wait until the robots have been invented.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think 24th for Yuna would be a disaster and S. Korea's suicide rate would increase. I think Yuna just winging it without the killer drive to podium is a terrible idea. Have Americans and her intl fans so quickly forgotten the threads on Alissa after her great showing? This is KIM YUNA OGM whose fans would be sick at the mere thought of 24th!