Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season?

gmyers

Record Breaker
CoP was a bit different in 2006... Besides, wasn´t Plushenko´s 2006 freeskate used as an example for judges of bad choreography. If Plushenko had skated to a good choreography and without several shaky looking jumps, he would have won in 2010 and deserved it. Instead he and his team chose to ignore CoP choreography, and today it seems that they have learned their lesson. On the other hand in that time Plushenko still got high scores for choreography and transitions, LOL. If the judging had been rightful, Takahashi would have gotten the silver, in my opinion.

I think that video of Plushenko's 2006 performance was used as an example of bad everything in PCS not just choreo. It was a "how not to skate" that used a Gold medal winning Olympic performance. Inman was involved and I think Nichol as well. Seems self serving for Nichol and used to advertise her business. If Plushenko had followed what was right he would not have have done a quad and it would have been exactly what Chan or Lysacek - Nichol clients- did. Triple triple. triple axel, triple jump, spin step, halfway point jump, jump, jump., jump, jump, spin step spin with repeated moves over and over like kick for chan and squat for lysacek and it would have proper and COP and correct. It would have been right to not do a quad and do 3/5 structure and repeat the same moves over and over but Plushenko wanted to do a quad and have his kind of program and it was mistake but he deserved to win even with not being Nichol- Inman friendly.

Okay. Your explanation makes it understandable bringing that up. And fyi I too share your points. I was just easing the fact that agitated manner only worsens those kinds of agony;)

True! It's just unfortunate that the wrong person had to win in 2010 and be in the history books and current champion.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I think I am just a big scaredy-cat. :)

What country was this taped in, Canada? All of the Korean people in the video spoke accent-free North American English, except the doctor who came on at the end.

It does seem to be the consensus that Yu-na has little incentive to come back. Of course, the "consensus" doesn't count -- Yu-na herself is a majority of one. :)

What country was this taped in, Canada? All of the Korean people in the video spoke accent-free North American English, except the doctor who came on at the end.

It does seem to be the consensus that Yu-na has little incentive to come back. Of course, the "consensus" doesn't count -- Yu-na herself is a majority of one. :)

I think it's an English-speaking broadcasting station in Korea. Or Korean broadcasting station in USA? The channel is labeled as Arirang TV.

cosmos

On the Ice

It is an English channel in Korea.Many staffs there are KoreanAmericans.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oy. Vancouver Olympics was not great for the men. so much hype and hope and it was really a let down. Plushenko didn`t skate all out and was not at his best. Evan skated his best but most agree he deserved gold but it was sad because he was not the skater of an on Lambiel or Buttle or Chan and not the jumper or power of Plushenko when on. He is a competitor though and that`s how he won!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Buttle did deal with injuries but was seemingly all prepared for the 2008 GP season and then retired. In some interviews he was saying all the talking points Lysacek would use on quads not mattering in the whole scheme of skating but others was saying he would have a quad in Vancouver. It was probably injuries that he dealt with though it would be interesting because of his own quad talk about Vancouver if he retired because not having a quad meant he wouldn't be competitive. His win got the same kind of "where's the quad" that would be seen again in 2009 and again at the 2010 Olympics. How could a man in 2008, 2009 or 2010 really not win without a jump that was necessary in 3 olympics and 10 world championships in a row??

Why did Buttle quit in 2008. He was a gold contender in Vancouver?

Buttle's retirement interview was what made peace in my mind concerning Yuna. He said that he'd accomplished everything he had ever wanted (well, besides OG) and there's no reason left to stay competitive anymore. The fact that he had been very inconsistent especially at Worlds and his injuries adds to that. Personally I think he could've won more world titles if he were more consistent.

Plus Patrick Chan was coming up as a new rising hope in Canada who was beating him at Nationas and SC. I guess Jeffrey assumed that his leading responsibility for Canada is achieved more than enough then.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
At least there's recent footage of Johnny attempting and landing quads, whether or not they are cheated or twofooted...the same cannot be said for Evan. When was the last time he landed a quad in competition?

And when was the last time Weir landed a successful quad in competition? At least Evan has landed successful quads in competition a few times and has been practicing them now also:

Posted by Iris88 on FSU three days ago

Maksim Trankov (who is in Korea for All That Skate show) twitted "OMG, it will be a battle in Sochi! Lysacek jumps 4toe-euler-3flip".

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Buttle's retirement interview was what made peace in my mind concerning Yuna. He said that he'd accomplished everything he had ever wanted (well, besides OG) and there's no reason left to stay competitive anymore. The fact that he had been very inconsistent especially at Worlds and his injuries adds to that. Personally I think he could've won more world titles if he were more consistent.

Plus Patrick Chan was coming up as a new rising hope in Canada who was beating him at Nationas and SC. I guess Jeffrey assumed that his leading responsibility for Canada is achieved more than enough then.

The thing is I think 2008 Worlds was the opening of Jeff's window. I dont think he could have won any World titles before that year, even if he skated well. People like Plushenko and Lambiel were winning those years, and Joubert in his career year in 2007, and without a quad even skating well he wasnt winning those. He definitely could have after though, as well as the 2010 Olympics.

jatale

On the Ice
This thread got hijacked into some extended discussion about men's skating. Oh well, it would be nice if this forum had more supervision over threads to keep them on topic. I doubt anybody really knows at this point what Yuna's thinking is about a return to competition. Having Carolina at her ATS show the last several days certainly gives Yuna an up to date look at the competition in the ladies field, right now Caro is at the top. I suspect that Yuna's main concern would not be her skating or competitive ability, but rather whether she would want to once again put her life on hold to devote the time necessary to training. She's had a taste of the freedom that comes from not competing this last year, and she has clearly enjoyed herself. The isolation needed for competitive training just might not appeal to her anymore.

gourry

Final Flight
I suspect that Yuna's main concern would not be her skating or competitive ability, but rather whether she would want to once again put her life on hold to devote the time necessary to training. She's had a taste of the freedom that comes from not competing this last year, and she has clearly enjoyed herself. The isolation needed for competitive training just might not appeal to her anymore.

I agree.
Could it be possible for her to do intensive training for competition in Korea? If she could stay with her friends and family in Korea maybe she will find it less lonely and doable to go through the demanding training regime.
I know there is a Russian coach for Korean team so maybe she could work with him.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The thread title doesn't really match the first post of the thread as the first post mentions wier and lysacek as well!

Lysaceks last successful quad was 4CC in 2009. Weirs was before that. Quads in practices only indicates ability to do them in practice. Like before the 2010 US nationals free skate it was reported that Lysacek had the most impressive quads and then in the skate itself just a huge flop. The rules have changes for jumps now. If you went back Weirs quad at 2008 worlds would have been better, a lot of lysacek quads would have been < and not << or back that < and downgraded which is also true of Lysaceks triple axels. Same thing with both Buttle and Takahashi. Takahashi at 2008 worlds was most punished for unsuccessful quads like Buttle was punished very severely in 2007 worlds.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It is true, they would hold her up. It is interesting to think what her jump layout would be. I wonder what she is doing in those 3 hours a day? Why does she not jump more in her programs? Jumping made her a champion. I wish we'd see more of the old Yuna in these yearly outings.
amaguchi kept her level so high for 10 years on SOI. And the first Japanese female OGM Arakawa keeps her technical level up. Yuna doesn't seem to have the drive for perfection (perrfect for her) anymore. I really think David Wilson throws this stuff together. I hate sloppy group numbers, but the money rolls in so I doubt anyone cares.

Michelle doesn't want to look sloppy or not do triples so she doesn't skate as she hasn't time anymore. It is hard to think of MK not wanting to keep up the jumps, isn't it? Such a competitive woman. She loves skating. Somehow I think DC will bore her and she will miss the lights and attention and do something. I was disappointed how long it took Tara to get back in the saddle. I guess it is hard to live up to yourself. I do so appreciate it when the pros put out a really good program. Lambiel and Browning are still great skaters.

Among the women, I think Joannie does beautiful programs. And Plushenko challenges himself in every setting, I forgot the bionic skater in above men!

Are most of these numbers from YUNA ATS show up on youtube? I think I was seeing last years as Katia and Ilia were there, and I did not see them on the list. Katia is still great to watch, she still flies around the ice if the music asks for it. She must be close to retirement. It was like yesterday when Sergi died. Wow. I wonder how the girls are doing? It would be nice to see how Liza Kulik is developing.

cosmos

On the Ice
It is true, they would hold her up. It is interesting to think what her jump layout would be. I wonder what she is doing in those 3 hours a day? Why does she not jump more in her programs? Jumping made her a champion. I wish we'd see more of the old Yuna in these yearly outings.
amaguchi kept her level so high for 10 years on SOI. And the first Japanese female OGM Arakawa keeps her technical level up. Yuna doesn't seem to have the drive for perfection (perrfect for her) anymore. I really think David Wilson throws this stuff together. I hate sloppy group numbers, but the money rolls in so I doubt anyone cares.

Michelle doesn't want to look sloppy or not do triples so she doesn't skate as she hasn't time anymore. It is hard to think of MK not wanting to keep up the jumps, isn't it? Such a competitive woman. She loves skating. Somehow I think DC will bore her and she will miss the lights and attention and do something. I was disappointed how long it took Tara to get back in the saddle. I guess it is hard to live up to yourself. I do so appreciate it when the pros put out a really good program. Lambiel and Browning are still great skaters.

Among the women, I think Joannie does beautiful programs. And Plushenko challenges himself in every setting, I forgot the bionic skater in above men!

Are most of these numbers from YUNA ATS show up on youtube? I think I was seeing last years as Katia and Ilia were there, and I did not see them on the list. Katia is still great to watch, she still flies around the ice if the music asks for it. She must be close to retirement. It was like yesterday when Sergi died. Wow. I wonder how the girls are doing? It would be nice to see how Liza Kulik is developing.

From various observation sources, YuNa keeps all her triples including 3-3. Somehow she doesn't like jump in her Gala programs. Have you ever seen her land huge jumps in a Gala? I don't know exactly why? Perhaps because small rink size or lighting. I don't think huge jumps are essential element of a great Gala program. Even Chan doesn't show huge jumps (shows mostly his skating skill).

Last edited:
From various observation sources, YuNa keeps all her triples including 3-3. Somehow she doesn't like jump in her Gala programs. Have you ever seen her land huge jumps in a Gala? I don't know exactly why? Perhaps because small rink size or lighting. I don't think huge jumps are essential element of a great Gala program. Even Chan doesn't show huge jumps (shows mostly his skating skill).

That doesn't become the reasons for not attempting difficult jumps. Many are doing lutz, flip, even quadruples in show skating. I just think it's simply because Yuna doesn't want to risk herself in shows and wants to enjoy it as what it is. And from what I've felt, Yuna particularly doesn't like jumps. Maybe they remind her of excruciating pressure she'd felt during competitions.