Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 60

Thread: Yu Na is she competing in the 2012-2013 Season?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,562
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Lysaeck may be quadless. He has never done a quad in Olympic competition and hardly ever in world competition. He was said to be landing quads in practice left and right before the US nationals 2010 LP and then when it was in competition - no quad. It was an awful underrotated jump with a fall. Obviously putting a quad into his program leads to disasters. He was not injured 2009-2010 season in any way. The 1998, 2002, and 2006 Olympic winners all did quads. He is lacking. He is inferior and offers nothing to the sport on any level. The whole career is a pretty big regressive disgrace.
    I remember that after the season 2008-2009 Evan had a cast in his foot for a month. He suffered from injuries and was not able to practice the quad after the 2008 injury.. In my opinion Evan was not inferior at the Olympics, actually he was superiour to be able to win without a quad... The shame is on the quad guys who were not able to beat him. And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.

  2. #17
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post

    I know there is a Yu Na thread, but is Yu Na enjoying the high life too much and will skip the 2012-2013 or are there plans for her comeback, or has she hung her competitive skates up!!
    I think Yu-Na's mind changed about skating the minute she won her Olympic gold medal. I remember there being interviews when she was a junior, where she would say she found skating lonely, and that she missed her family. There were worries that she would quit before she got to the Olympics, because it seemed like she hated skating and was only doing it for her country.

    However, when the pressure was lifted after winning the Olympics, it seemed that she enjoyed her skating more. Sure, she lost the 2010 and 2011 worlds, but now she seems to be skating for herself.

    It seems to happen to a lot of champions. Once you win the Olympics, rather than saying, "now what?" they fall in love with skating all over again. Katarina Witt certainly did in 1994, when she didn't have a chance to even medal in Lillehammer.

    I think that would bring Yu Na back--not necessarily to try to recapture gold, but because she truly loves skating and her fans. If she came back and finished 24th in Sochi, it wouldn't tarnish what she did in 2010. Of course, there are other opinions on that...

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I remember that after the season 2008-2009 Evan had a cast in his foot for a month. He suffered from injuries and was not able to practice the quad after the 2008 injury.. In my opinion Evan was not inferior at the Olympics, actually he was superiour to be able to win without a quad... The shame is on the quad guys who were not able to beat him. And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.
    The issue was that in 2010 he was fine and practicing quads but failed in a spectacular way at US nationals. He can't do quads. The fact that he was able to use COP to regress on jumps and still get high scores on jumps was dramatically reformed by the ISU after the 2010 Olympics. His program was worth too much and the system was changed.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I think that would bring Yu Na back--not necessarily to try to recapture gold, but because she truly loves skating and her fans. If she came back and finished 24th in Sochi, it wouldn't tarnish what she did in 2010. Of course, there are other opinions on that...

    I share your thought. I can't understand people who say that if an athlete comes back, he or she risks tarnishing his/her legacy by not winning this time around. How can that be? The glorious performance of YuNa Kim's Olympic long program, with those monster jumps and a clean skate when it mattered the most, can't possibly be erased by anything short of really, really bad behavior involving police officers, judges, and a jury. A sub-par skate would not have that effect. As you say, she could finish dead last, and she'd still be Queen YuNa. This is true for any other skater as well. Anyone who's looking for absolute statistical perfection throughout a whole career will have to wait until the robots have been invented.

  5. #20
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,590
    I think 24th for Yuna would be a disaster and S. Korea's suicide rate would increase. I think Yuna just winging it without the killer drive to podium is a terrible idea. Have Americans and her intl fans so quickly forgotten the threads on Alissa after her great showing? This is KIM YUNA OGM whose fans would be sick at the mere thought of 24th!

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,584
    I don't think she would come back unless she thought she could win. Unlike Witt, who came back to a sport that had surpassed her technically, YuNa at her peak would still win. For YuNa to not medal in Sochi she will have to skate significantly worse than she did in Vancouver. The drop in level, rather than the actual result, could stop her from coming back. But if she feels like she can achieve that same level I'm sure she will.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,957
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    the past has nothing to do with a comeback, based on his current form from his recent EX
    he isn't in top form and what are his motivations, to get more publicity for what ?
    thats why I see Weir has better chance of a good comeback results

    quadless Evan is also technically deficient
    let's afce it, not everyone is like Pluschenko who is a God and can comeback anytime

    anfd there is no need for Evan as Brown is by far the US superior skater if he can develop just in time for 2014 and also the lesser talent Farris although not as good as Brown technically or artistically can have better impact that Evan's comeback
    people say Evan can't make a convincing comeback because he doesn't have a quad, and Jason doesn't even have a 3a yet! Anyways, about this whole "lesser talent" that is Farris, have you seen his 3a? Evan and Jason WISH they had a 3a like Josh Farris... Further, the last time Evan attempted a quad in competition (2010 Nats) it was a hot mess, compared to Farris' 4t attempt at 2012 Nationals which was a really good attempt very close to full rotation.

    Jason is not the answer until he starts attempting and landing 3a and some sort of quad in his competitive programs. Simple as that. Whether you care for his artistry or not, Josh Farris has better chances than Evan or Jason because at least he is attempting 3a and 4t in competition, period.

    Evan can be competitive if he comes back, retains his 2010 form, starts attempting (at minimum) one quad in the FS and can at least rotate it consistently, and hopes his skary 3a technique doesn't make that jump inconsistent and that his PCS are as monstrous as they were in the 09-10 season. That's quite a tall order, so I tend to think he won't come back.

    Johnny's odds are better because it appears he has a quad and his 3a is stronger than Evan's.

    Jason Brown is going nowhere until he gets a 3a, and probably until he gets a 3a and a quad.

    Josh Farris can feasibly pass Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, and all others save Abbott and maybe a convincing Johnny or Evan comeback as early as next season so long as he delivers in competitions and is consistently trying the 4t in his FS (which is the plan), he has the goods to do so and we saw how high his PCS got at JW, they are comparable to Rippon/Miner international PCS and higher than Dornbush international PCS. Unless Jason gets a 3a and quad in the course of the offseason, he won't be able to do this.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 05-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.

  8. #23
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think 24th for Yuna would be a disaster and S. Korea's suicide rate would increase. I think Yuna just winging it without the killer drive to podium is a terrible idea. Have Americans and her intl fans so quickly forgotten the threads on Alissa after her great showing? This is KIM YUNA OGM whose fans would be sick at the mere thought of 24th!
    Well lucky for us that won't happen. Even Alissa couldn't get lower than 22nd despite falling on every jump in her programs at Worlds. We've already seen what Yuna is like without the killer drive--Worlds 2010 and 2011. She's admitted as much that she was pressured to go despite her own reluctance.

  9. #24
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,767
    Yeah, YuNa would never get 24th even if she didn't skate her best! The worst I could see her is like 12th with a total meltdown.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,642
    It's just an issue that Kim Yu-Na's results in 2010 and 2011 worlds weren't much different than her results at 2007 and 2008 worlds. Mistakes all over but still at a very high an impressive level pre Olympics, Post Olympics she's incosistent at a high level. Even 2009-2010 Pre Olympics Skate America 2009. Best competitions 2009 worlds and 2010 Olympics. Now it's possible that she could gather tremendous focus and pre olympic worlds and the olympics but outside of that she doesn't ever really have great focus or trouble with pressure or just makes mistakes except twice.

  11. #26
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,590
    Her ubers (Koreans) seem to have left skating boards as they know she won't be back.. It is too bad it (her run) did not bring more long term fans to skating that does not involve Yuna.

    People can't accept that she does not like competition any more. It'd be fun to see her but no one wants to see bad skating from a former champ just to please her fed and fan base. At her 2010 level she could win, but we all know shows are what make her happy. And so lucrative, too.

  12. #27
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Her ubers (Koreans) seem to have left skating boards as they know she won't be back.. It is too bad it (her run) did not bring more long term fans to skating that does not involve Yuna.

    People can't accept that she does not like competition any more. It'd be fun to see her but no one wants to see bad skating from a former champ just to please her fed and fan base. At her 2010 level she could win, but we all know shows are what make her happy. And so lucrative, too.
    ^THIS. Sometimes I get annoyed when I go to forums and some of her fans are like, I've stopped watching FS because Yuna isn't competing anymore. I think if KSF wants to have representation in Sochi, Yuna may have to return because the current crop of Korean skaters are, sorry to say it - mediocre (but Park So-Youn is promising ). But if she wants that, that is another question.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by redwing View Post
    Yeah, you'll have scores of pyscho koreans screaming death threats, insults and cuss you out if she did poorly and anyone criticize their precious yuna.
    What a non-sense! When YuNa skated poorly (as in 2010 Worlds) and there were people who criticized her, did Koreans scream death threats, insults and curse? I think you are the psycho.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    And do remember that Evan´s win was based on technical scores. That means jumps and the other technical stuff.
    The jump that determined the 2010 Olympic Champion was not a quad, but a double loop. Had Plushenko not omitted the 2Lo that he had planned to do in combination, then he would be Olympic Champion. Lysacek completed 12 jumps in his LP (8 in the bonus) and Plushenko completed 11 jumps in his LP (4 in the bonus)

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,642
    There is no evidence of that. The GOE that would have been deducted because he hadn't done a 3 jump combo all season and it may have been crap would have likely cancelled out the value of that jump or it would have caused another mistake that was afflicting him all season in SP's or LPs. Plus he already did something no one else at the Olympics accomplished. Quad triple and 3A. No else did that! So the problem was doing a quad was not worth a double loop. A clear and obvious display of athletic superiority was outscored by horrible rules that were changed.
    Last edited by gmyers; 05-04-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •