Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Inspiration

Oksana skating to Nutcracker! Oh, it is snowing!!! And she looks so wonderful- baby oksana!

Custom Title
    I agree about all the programs you cited skateluvr. Chan's gala is my favorite program ever from him. As for Takahashi, both the short and long programs move and inspire me. Caroline's skate was especially pleasing to me because she skated to Mozart. There aren't many people these days who skate to classical music that isn't Rachmaninoff or Tchaikovsky or Bizet. (Much as I love them.) Mozart isn't overly dramatic, so a skater can't coast on the emotional impact of the music. It requires lyricism, precision, and subtlety. Caroline delivered on all counts.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    One of the things going for the program is that the camera work was amazing throughout the competition but especially so for Lambiel's free skate. It's like the Japanese hired a professional director for his skate.
    I KNOW!!!! It was amazing. I remember marvelling at the camera work during the circular step sequence.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    One of the things going for the program is that the camera work was amazing throughout the competition but especially so for Lambiel's free skate. It's like the Japanese hired a professional director for his skate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I KNOW!!!! It was amazing. I remember marvelling at the camera work during the circular step sequence.
    Ditto for me on this point as well. No annoying overhead shots during the spins, some really fantastic angles, no close-ups of Lambiel's face or random limbs at inopportune times...I also was blown away at how well the cameras were able to capture Lambiel charging down the rink during the final step sequence. Plus the Japanese tend to light their arenas very brightly for figure skating competitions so it was even easier to scrutinize all the details of Lambiel's fantastic skate. Overall, a magical moment all around.

I pick Dube and Davison's The Blower's Daughter LP as performed at 2008 Worlds. I'd never paid much attention to D/D beyond the famous accident (interestingly, with the very same LP) and it was just a wow moment. It's a beautiful program, but as Chris (?) says on Eurosport, it's not just that. The whole performance was special - like another Canadian in Gotheburg, everything just fell into place. I've watched it quite a few times since, and the only downer is that they never came close to that level again (The Way We Were wasn't nearly as good). But for four minutes, you couldn't take your eyes off them. That's not something I see in skating all that often.

I watched it again when I went to Youtube for the link, and I still maintain they were robbed.

Another gorgeous skate that I must mention is DelSchoes' FD at the 2008-9 GPF. Oh, what could have been.

While I like D/D they never really got to the level of artists over athletes. I don't find it inspiring. I guess that is why Heaven rains down so much music and talent to inspire everyone if they just look. I find it amazing- I know people who think rap is art. It makes me laugh or cringe. Even I am a better poet than these urban guys. I wish we would see a female rapper break through big time and be as sexist as sexist as them. zWhile I have never had time to study music in my very burdensome life, I always wanted to. I am glad I can appreciate music, dance in so many forms. What one loves another hates. I enjoy seeing whay moves each special person here on GS!

I am in total agreement about the Del Schoes' FD. Very nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3