ISU Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for GOEs for 2012-13 | Golden Skate

ISU Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for GOEs for 2012-13

mskater93

Record Breaker
ISU Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for GOEs for 2012-13

Scale of Values, Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking Grade of Execution 2012-2013 (Single & Pair Skating) has been published on the ISU website.

Changes include changing the choreographic step/spairal sequence to a choreographic sequence which may include spirals, spread eagles, Bauers, steps, turns, UST (unidentifiable spinny things), etc that cover the whole ice and adding a Basic Level spin to differentiate from spins where the skater achieves one feature. Hopefully these two things pass if nothing else on the list. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The choreo sequence proposal was exactly what led me to musing in Patrick Chan fan thread about having Gary Beacom chroreographing it for Chan. Mr. Skating Genius specializes in Unidentifiable Surprising Techniques not seen or allowed in competitions. Beacom's creativity + Chan's mad skills, oh the possibilities!

If ISU loosens up to innovations at least in the choreo sequence, both skaters and fans may be enjoying more variety and entertaining or challenging moves. Since it's basically about elements with no set BVs, I wonder if some of the very interesting moves in show skating will be allowed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jeffrey Buttle ‏ @J_Butt has tweeted these comments:

"The ISU seems as though it is trying to suppress creativity these days, and frustrate choreographers with rule changes in June."

"Okay perhaps stifle is the more appropriate word. Why is it imperative that a ladies step sequence come before the spiral choreo sequence?"

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Jeffrey Buttle ‏ @J_Butt has tweeted these comments:

"The ISU seems as though it is trying to suppress creativity these days, and frustrate choreographers with rule changes in June."

"Okay perhaps stifle is the more appropriate word. Why is it imperative that a ladies step sequence come before the spiral choreo sequence?"

Maybe they're trying to give the girls a rest spot, but that'll just make all the programs look the same! What if a girl wanted to start with a spiral sequence?

UST (unidentifiable spinny things)

Is this official ISU language? :laugh:

Another proposed change is to give a ten percent bonus for jumps in the second half of the short program, like it is for the long program. Supposedly this will lead to "more balanced program" -- but more likely it will just lead to back-loading of SPs instead of front-loaidng.

I think it would be better to give credit for a truly balanced program in the choreography component.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just noticed that Mirai Nagasu had replied to Buttle's tweets:

Mirai Nagasu ‏ @mirai_nagasu
"@J_Butt OMG where are you getting these rules?"

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is this official ISU language? :laugh:

Another proposed change is to give a ten percent bonus for jumps in the second half of the short program, like it is for the long program. Supposedly this will lead to "more balanced program" -- but more likely it will just lead to back-loading of SPs instead of front-loaidng.

I think what it will lead to is more variety of ways to "load" the jumps in the short program. The skaters who are trying difficulty at the limits of their own ability will keep most or all of the jumps near the beginning, and the skaters who are comfortable with their jumps will save more toward the end. I certainly expect more senior ladies to be putting their double axels later in the program.

Some might choose to do easier jumps and make up for the lower difficulty with later placement to gain points.
E.g., for a senior lady it might also be worth while to do a solo triple toe in the second half instead of a triple flip near the beginning.

A few will plan their programs based on what best fits the music and program concept regardless of how that affects their percentages on landing the jumps cleanly, but no matter how you define the rewards I think that group will always be a small minority.

I think it would be better to give credit for a truly balanced program in the choreography component.

Yes, but that's subjective and unenforceable -- all it can be is a guideline to judges to remember to take that one specific criterion into account.

However, it wouldn't hurt to add in that reminder in addition.

Another proposal is to allow vocal music in singles and pairs after 2014. I don't think I like that so much. I wouldn't want the singing to overshadow the skating.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Another proposal is to allow vocal music in singles and pairs after 2014. I don't think I like that so much. I wouldn't want the singing to overshadow the skating.

Now we get to hear Carmen with lyrics!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I think, it means to say that figure skating is going modern.

^ I would worry that it would start to be like those pro shows where they have a live singer. The skating is an afterthought.

That is sometimes the case even with instrumental music. When a skater takes on Bach's Toccata and Fugue I usually find myself thinking, I wish that distraction would get off the ice so I can listen to the sumptuous music.;) There is a reason why ballet music does not feature singing -- the dance is the thing!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
^ I would worry that it would start to be like those pro shows where they have a live singer. The skating is an afterthought.

Let's expect to see who could seduce the audience more effectively.;) Though it will have little affect on me as I might say good-bye to my hobby on figure skating after Sochi too.:biggrin:

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
Bleh! Or we get to hear Katy Perry...

Whenever I watch an ISI competition, she seems to be the most overplayed musician. I once heard (no joke) a synchro program that started with Katy Perry, middle section of Chicago, ending with Meditation from Thais. I wanted to tear my eardrums out!