Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Rochette pondering return to Olys

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,557

    News Rochette pondering return to Olys

    Winnipeg Free Press - Tempted by Sochi, Canadian hero could put off retirement

  2. #2
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Winnipeg Free Press - Tempted by Sochi, Canadian hero could put off retirement
    No matter what her decision is, I am very proud of this young lady.

  3. #3
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584
    I hope it is yes.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,636
    It sounds like she is hedging skating this upcoming season though which is not a good sign. I think she doesn`t like the pressure of singles skating and doesn`t want to really compete as a singles but may ahve to to be eligible to skate in the team event. I don`t think she wants to give a second rate try. She really just needs to go for it; she has a very realistic chance imho to make the Canadian team. She probably could beat everyone now on the pcs alone if she doesn`t have her lutz or flip back fully yet. her speed, transitions and pcs with the loop, salchow and toe loop would hold off Lacoste and Phaneuf. she could still make top ten couldn`t she

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    She can't compete only in the team event. If she doesn't return for Worlds 2013 (and that seems to be pretty firm on her part), then Canada will have only one lady on the Olympic team. If that is Joannie, then she has to do both the team event (SP and FS) AND the individual SP and FS.

    That's a pretty stiff order for a woman who has been pretty much away from elite competition for nearly 4 years.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    She can't compete only in the team event. If she doesn't return for Worlds 2013 (and that seems to be pretty firm on her part), then Canada will have only one lady on the Olympic team. If that is Joannie, then she has to do both the team event (SP and FS) AND the individual SP and FS.

    That's a pretty stiff order for a woman who has been pretty much away from elite competition for nearly 4 years.
    I don't think you should "have" to do the individual to do the team event! JMO. Open it up to other athletes if the others don't want to do it.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    Entries for Sochi are qualified at Worlds 2013. If Joannie doesn't compete at Worlds 2013, then only ONE Canadian lady will be qualified to skate in Sochi (none of Phaneuf, Lacoste or Osmond are likely to finish top 10).

    If Joannie is the ONE ladies Olympic entry from Canada and she decides to do ONLY the team event, then NO Canadian lady will compete in the individual event. That doesn't seem fair to all the Canadian ladies who would love to do both events.

  8. #8
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,083
    Still, she could be a hero sweeping in like Mighty Mouse to save the day. Even if she finished in the middle of the pack in individuals, she could still help Canada win the team event with their strength in the other disciplines, especially men and dance.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    It's my understanding that the team event comes first, before the individual competition.

  10. #10
    Custom Title DianaSelene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Still, she could be a hero sweeping in like Mighty Mouse to save the day. Even if she finished in the middle of the pack in individuals, she could still help Canada win the team event with their strength in the other disciplines, especially men and dance.
    The question is whether she will wish to skate in individuals at all. She might say that it is too much for her.

  11. #11
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    The question is whether she will wish to skate in individuals at all. She might say that it is too much for her.
    If that's the case, then she can just pull out after the team event, and have the alternate skate the "main event" two weeks later, since it's usually the last event of the whole Olympics.

    When is the deadline for the replacement? I know Kwan was in Torino up until the third day, when she pulled out.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    No, that won't work. A substitute comes into play if a skater withdraws BEFORE the start of the competition. If the skater withdraws AFTER a portion of the competition, then no replacement is possible.

    Kwan withdrew during practices---well before the start of the SP and in plenty of time for the substitute (Hughes) to replace her.

    IMO, part of the reason why Rochette hasn't made any definitive statement about her return is that she isn't sure about her having to compete what amounts to two full events back-to-back.
    Last edited by chuckm; 05-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,386
    Joannie has been mainly tempted by the Team event, and the desire for a normal Olympic experience, but I don't think she is keen on participating in Singles, especially with the required two seasons of training and competing, thus the indecision. I hope she makes a decision she will be happy with for life.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    No, that won't work. A substitute comes into play if a skater withdraws BEFORE the start of the competition. If the skater withdraws AFTER a portion of the competition, then no replacement is possible.

    Kwan withdrew during practices---well before the start of the SP and in plenty of time for the substitute (Hughes) to replace her.

    IMO, part of the reason why Rochette hasn't made any definitive statement about her return is that she isn't sure about her having to compete what amounts to two full events back-to-back.
    Eh, is it rude to suggest that no lady skating singles for Canada is practically the equivalent of one lady not named Rochette at this moment in time?

  15. #15
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,083
    I look at it this way. If she competes successfully in the team event, then she has accomplished her mission and the rest is fun time. Who knows -- she might have so much fun that she will have a Liz Manley moment in the singles LP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •