Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21)

Hybrid View

Custom Title

News 2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21)

Here's USFS' press release today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48048&type=media

Kent is about halfway between Seattle and Tacoma (close to the Sea-Tac airport!).

ETA this cool fact from the press release: "Ice dancer Ben Agosto, who now lives and coaches in the Seattle area, will serve as the event's honorary chairperson."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-04-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Skate America 2012 to be held in Kent, WA (Seattle suburb)

http://www.2012skateamerica.com/

So excited! This is driving distance -- I might have to go!

Seems the Seattle area has been a popular place for Skate America -- they had Skate America in Everett (about 30 miles from Seattle) in 2008.

ETA: Please move to the Skate American forum if needed.

Good for Kent! Thanks for the post. Watching the promo video, I can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Good for Kent! Thanks for the post. Watching the promo video, I can hardly wait!
    Mathman, looks like Sylvia and I both posted at the same time. Can you combine our threads please?

Also, does this mean you're going? GS meetup?!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Mathman, looks like Sylvia and I both posted at the same time. Can you combine our threads please?

Also, does this mean you're going? GS meetup?!
    DorisPulaski beat me to it on the thread merge.

I might go. My sister lives in Olympia and I owe her a visit anyway.

I mean, I should go and visit my sister in any case, and if there happens to be a skating competition going on at the time...

DorisPulaski beat me to it on the thread merge.

I might go. My sister lives in Olympia and I owe her a visit anyway.

I mean, I should go and visit my sister in any case, and if there happens to be a skating competition going on at the time...
    Hey, 2 for 1 deals rock! I mean you're going to have to pay a pretty penny to fly to visit your sister anyway...might as well as get your money's worth!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's USFS' press release today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48048&type=media

Kent is about halfway between Seattle and Tacoma (close to the Sea-Tac airport!).
    Opps, we posted at the same time!

The ticket packages aren't too bad...I'm going to try to attend.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I am very upset to hear about this. This is three years in a row that Skate America has been in the west coast. If the USFSA is trying to alienate us East Coasters they are really doing a great job. I hope that everyone that is able to attend has a great time.

^ I think it was more of a question of finding someone willing to host it. If any east coast city/skating club had stepped up, they could have got it.

^ I think it was more of a question of finding someone willing to host it. If any east coast city/skating club had stepped up, they could have got it.
    Despite the fact that Washington state has no prestigious skating club/coaching team to speak of, for some reason the skating clubs/local government/sports facilities seem to be willing to step up and make the event happen. It's note worthy that this will be the FOURTH USFSA event in Washington state in the last five years. (2007-Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2008 Everett Skate America; 2010 Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2012 Kent Skate America). California is the only other state to have more than one USFSA event within its borders during that same period (2011 Skate America and 2012 Nationals).

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Despite the fact that Washington state has no prestigious skating club/coaching team to speak of, for some reason the skating clubs/local government/sports facilities seem to be willing to step up and make the event happen. It's note worthy that this will be the FOURTH USFSA event in Washington state in the last five years. (2007-Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2008 Everett Skate America; 2010 Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2012 Kent Skate America). California is the only other state to have more than one USFSA event within its borders during that same period (2011 Skate America and 2012 Nationals).
    It might be that it's the only place in the country where they can find an arena near an airport with plenty of hotels what is available at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    It might be that it's the only place in the country where they can find an arena near an airport with plenty of hotels what is available at that time.
    I can't speak for other places, but it's true that Kent is quite close to the airport and there's a TON of hotels near the airport which would be within driving distance to the arena.

But Everett is quite a ways from the airport. The airport is 15 miles south of Seattle then Everett is another 30 miles north.

Spokane is pretty compact...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    with only 800 people showing up, why should it be a concern?

btw, the Canadian fans are saying Skate Canana should be renamed Skate Ontario.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I am very upset to hear about this. This is three years in a row that Skate America has been in the west coast. If the USFSA is trying to alienate us East Coasters they are really doing a great job. I hope that everyone that is able to attend has a great time.
    I had the same thought! Last year, both Skate America AND Nationals were in California; now this year's Skate America is again on the West Coast? It doesn't seem fair. I feel these events should be allocated more evenly around the country. I live in the Northeast and, honestly, I cannot remember the last time Skate America/Nationals were held here. Nationals was in Boston in 2001 or 2002, but that was 10 years ago now. And as to Skate America, it's been held in Springfield MA a couple times, but the last time was quite a while ago. Frustrating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast