Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ok so what would my transportation options be from a SeaTac hotel to the Arena? I'm not renting a car as I don't do lower 48 city driving... open road, sure, not in big cities.
    http://www.showarecenter.com/visitor_info/getting_there

Public transit is probably your best bet. This link above has more information.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I had the same thought! Last year, both Skate America AND Nationals were in California; now this year's Skate America is again on the West Coast? It doesn't seem fair. I feel these events should be allocated more evenly around the country. I live in the Northeast and, honestly, I cannot remember the last time Skate America/Nationals were held here. Nationals was in Boston in 2001 or 2002, but that was 10 years ago now. And as to Skate America, it's been held in Springfield MA a couple times, but the last time was quite a while ago. Frustrating.
    I do feel for you guys (despite the fact that this time around I benefit from being close by). I can see how frustrating it is.

That said, something to note:

According to the PR material from USFS here is the top 5 attended Skate America events (cumulative):

2008 Everett - 29,477 (big boost from Yuna Kim's presence at the event)
    2002 Spokane - 28,644
    2010 Portland - 23,362
    2004 Pittsburgh - 17,906
    2001 Colorado Springs - 17,312

Those kind of numbers must resonate with USFSA. Combined with the fact that Kent got a positive plug from Disson Skating for a great turnout at a show there in January, explains why they ultimately choose another West Coast city.

Also, since figure skating is so popular in Japan, the Seattle area is an ideal place because there are a lot of nonstop flights from Toyko to Seattle and Vancouver (about 3 hours north) and despite the terrible jet lag (as you cross the int'l dateline) -- the flights themselves are relatively short (12-13 hours). Perhaps they took that into account?

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I had the same thought! Last year, both Skate America AND Nationals were in California; now this year's Skate America is again on the West Coast? It doesn't seem fair. I feel these events should be allocated more evenly around the country. I live in the Northeast and, honestly, I cannot remember the last time Skate America/Nationals were held here. Nationals was in Boston in 2001 or 2002, but that was 10 years ago now. And as to Skate America, it's been held in Springfield MA a couple times, but the last time was quite a while ago. Frustrating.
    Yes...I mean Greensboro was kind of a step in the right direction but still in the south!
    I think the USFSA is really underestimating this area because skating is quite popular in this part of the country and I think turn-out would be just awesome for anywhere north of Washington D.C.
    It's been over 10 years since any east coasters could even poke Nationals with a 200-mile stick...

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Apparently Ben Agosto was at the press conference and part of the organizing team.
    Lotsa photos of Agosto's participation in the SA announcement: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8026341&type=1

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    After reading that article it said that it was based in the pandora ice show. Again....not many televised skating cheesefest shows happen ok the east coast. And apparently there has to be a Hilton hotel nearby. The last Skate America in the east coast was in 2009 in Lake Placid. They hardly televise skating competitions on television anymore. I think that's one of the reasons they can't get people to attend!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What exactly is a "SeaHawk" anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I do feel for you guys (despite the fact that this time around I benefit from being close by). I can see how frustrating it is.

That said, something to note:

According to the PR material from USFS here is the top 5 attended Skate America events (cumulative):

2008 Everett - 29,477 (big boost from Yuna Kim's presence at the event)
    2002 Spokane - 28,644
    2010 Portland - 23,362
    2004 Pittsburgh - 17,906
    2001 Colorado Springs - 17,312

Those kind of numbers must resonate with USFSA. Combined with the fact that Kent got a positive plug from Disson Skating for a great turnout at a show there in January, explains why they ultimately choose another West Coast city.

Also, since figure skating is so popular in Japan, the Seattle area is an ideal place because there are a lot of nonstop flights from Toyko to Seattle and Vancouver (about 3 hours north) and despite the terrible jet lag (as you cross the int'l dateline) -- the flights themselves are relatively short (12-13 hours). Perhaps they took that into account?
    It is interesting that so many Japanese women attend these events in the US.
    (Dont worry, you east coasters, you will be getting Nats 2014....right before Olympics.....dont ask me how I know that)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    What exactly is a "SeaHawk" anyway?
    I think it's an osprey.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ey_mg_9605.jpg

My favorite is the University of Anchorage's mascot, the "Sea Wolf" (Tonichelle's school. ) This is a mythological creature of the Inuits which has the distinction of being the only figure besides the thunderbird that was used for totem poles by several different nations.

Sea Wolf (bottom) - Raven.

http://tresham.com/sites/default/fil...s%20-%2010.jpg

Thunderbird.

http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/...14/preview.jpg

Ben Agosto was pictured with "Cool Bird," the mascot of the Seattle Thunderbirds who play at the Kent Showare Arena.

Edited to add:: No, I changed my mind. My favorite Pacific Northwest mascot is the Evergreen College geoducks ("gooey-ducks") in Olympia. If you have ever seen one...
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-07-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Custom Title
    That is so cool, Math. I never knew that.

I think it's an osprey.

My favorite is the University of Anchorage's mascot, the "Sea Wolf" (Tonichelle's school. ) This is a mythological creature of the Inuits which has the distinction of being the only figure besides the thunderbird that was used for totem poles by several different nations.

Sea Wolf (bottom) - Raven.

http://tresham.com/sites/default/fil...s%20-%2010.jpg

Thunderbird.

http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/...14/preview.jpg

Ben Agosto was pictured with "Cool Bird," the mascot of the Seattle Thunderbirds who play at the Kent Showare Arena.

Edited to add:: No, I changed my mind. My favorite Pacific Northwest mascot is the Evergreen College geoducks ("gooey-ducks") in Olympia. If you have ever seen one...
    People actually eat Geoducks.....if you go to google "images" tab and type in geoducks, you will see what they look like....they have a rather "interesting" shape.

I think it's an osprey.

University of Alaska, Anchorage sucks unless you're in the Engineering or Nursing programs. Hated it.

Custom Title
    What is terrible about it, Toni? I'm just curious. Is it lack of resources or course variety? Uncongenial fellow students? Ill-equipped professors?

About how many students attend?

Back to the sites on the West Coast, I do feel that the relative closeness of that area to Japan and Korea might help influence event planners in the future. This is a bit of a bummer for people like me, but it makes sense in terms of skating revenue and the continued health of the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    with only 800 people showing up, why should it be a concern?

btw, the Canadian fans are saying Skate Canana should be renamed Skate Ontario.
    Speaking as someone who lives in Vancouver I'd say that is true. :P If we didn't get the Olympics in 2010 and 4CC in 2009, the last time we had anything outside of Stars on Ice was the 2001 Worlds. I suppose I'll have to drive to Seattle to see Skate America.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3