2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21) | Golden Skate

2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's USFS' press release today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48048&type=media

Kent is about halfway between Seattle and Tacoma (close to the Sea-Tac airport!).

ETA this cool fact from the press release: "Ice dancer Ben Agosto, who now lives and coaches in the Seattle area, will serve as the event's honorary chairperson."

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Skate America 2012 to be held in Kent, WA (Seattle suburb)

http://www.2012skateamerica.com/

So excited! This is driving distance -- I might have to go!

Seems the Seattle area has been a popular place for Skate America -- they had Skate America in Everett (about 30 miles from Seattle) in 2008.

ETA: Please move to the Skate American forum if needed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Good for Kent! Thanks for the post. Watching the promo video, I can hardly wait!

Mathman, looks like Sylvia and I both posted at the same time. Can you combine our threads please?

Also, does this mean you're going? GS meetup?!

Mathman, looks like Sylvia and I both posted at the same time. Can you combine our threads please?

Also, does this mean you're going? GS meetup?!

DorisPulaski beat me to it on the thread merge. :)

I might go. My sister lives in Olympia and I owe her a visit anyway.

I mean, I should go and visit my sister in any case, and if there happens to be a skating competition going on at the time... :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
DorisPulaski beat me to it on the thread merge. :)

I might go. My sister lives in Olympia and I owe her a visit anyway.

I mean, I should go and visit my sister in any case, and if there happens to be a skating competition going on at the time... :laugh:

Hey, 2 for 1 deals rock! I mean you're going to have to pay a pretty penny to fly to visit your sister anyway...might as well as get your money's worth!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
More coverage:

http://www.ilovekent.net/2012/05/04...2012-skate-america-coming-to-kent-in-october/

Apparently Ben Agosto was at the press conference and part of the organizing team.

Medalist Ben Agosto encouraged attendees to buy tickets for the event, explaining that some of the competitions held in Washington State are among the most memorable of his career.

“When you see it live, it is completely different than seeing it on TV,” Agosto said. “There’s a big energy transfer between the skaters and fans.”

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am very upset to hear about this. This is three years in a row that Skate America has been in the west coast. If the USFSA is trying to alienate us East Coasters they are really doing a great job. I hope that everyone that is able to attend has a great time.

^ I think it was more of a question of finding someone willing to host it. If any east coast city/skating club had stepped up, they could have got it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ I think it was more of a question of finding someone willing to host it. If any east coast city/skating club had stepped up, they could have got it.

Despite the fact that Washington state has no prestigious skating club/coaching team to speak of, for some reason the skating clubs/local government/sports facilities seem to be willing to step up and make the event happen. It's note worthy that this will be the FOURTH USFSA event in Washington state in the last five years. (2007-Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2008 Everett Skate America; 2010 Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2012 Kent Skate America). California is the only other state to have more than one USFSA event within its borders during that same period (2011 Skate America and 2012 Nationals).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Despite the fact that Washington state has no prestigious skating club/coaching team to speak of, for some reason the skating clubs/local government/sports facilities seem to be willing to step up and make the event happen. It's note worthy that this will be the FOURTH USFSA event in Washington state in the last five years. (2007-Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2008 Everett Skate America; 2010 Spokane U.S. Nationals; 2012 Kent Skate America). California is the only other state to have more than one USFSA event within its borders during that same period (2011 Skate America and 2012 Nationals).

It might be that it's the only place in the country where they can find an arena near an airport with plenty of hotels what is available at that time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It might be that it's the only place in the country where they can find an arena near an airport with plenty of hotels what is available at that time.

I can't speak for other places, but it's true that Kent is quite close to the airport and there's a TON of hotels near the airport which would be within driving distance to the arena.

But Everett is quite a ways from the airport. The airport is 15 miles south of Seattle then Everett is another 30 miles north.

Spokane is pretty compact...

Boeing787

On the Ice

with only 800 people showing up, why should it be a concern? :laugh:

btw, the Canadian fans are saying Skate Canana should be renamed Skate Ontario.:laugh:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
with only 800 people showing up, why should it be a concern? :laugh:

btw, the Canadian fans are saying Skate Canana should be renamed Skate Ontario.:laugh:

If that's the case, then Skate America will become Skate Pacific Coast... too close to sectionals hahaha.

Here is what the USFSA should do to revive interest in figure skating as a spectator sport in the United States. De-emphasize the ISU program -- American viewers don't care much about the Grand Prix, Four Continents or Worlds anyway -- and put their PR efforts into a three event season, starting with State America. Invite the top three U.S. skaters/teams in each discipline and forget about playing political games and trying to jockey their skaters into the GP final by the easiest route.

The second event -- a Christmas holiday type of pro-am cheesefest, like the Japan Open. Third event, the big show, U.S. Nationals -- who is the best skater in the country. Give a million dollar prize to the winner. (Get the million dollars from a huge television contract for this three event package. :) )

Then every four years there is the Olympics. But that can take care of itself PR-wise without the U.S. Skating Association leading the way.

Sports fans in the U.S. are parochial. The United States is the only country in the world that has no interest in the world cup in soccer. We are also the only country that calls it soccer. "It can't be much of a sport if we are no good at it." Mia Hamm was cool, but that was a long time ago.

This would not prevent skaters, coaches, and federation officials from taking intense interest in ISU competitions. The proposal is just for something to try to sell to television people and corporate sponsors.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
Miki, Please come!
Chris
On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....:biggrin:
(All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina were totally....uh...what was that term Clinton used? Plausable deniability? Yeah....that.....)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
Miki, Please come!
Chris
On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....:biggrin:
(All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina were totally....uh...what was that term Clinton used? Plausable deniability? Yeah....that.....)

How did you get tickets already? I thought the sale wasn't starting until tomorrow! (Saturday) at 10!

ETA: Presale!!! http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...ESALE.html?soid=1102312375667&aid=aU2nH-ajWm8

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
aw man, I don't think I can swing another trip outside this year! Especially since I have Disney World next year to save up for... hmmmm... I gotta price this out.