Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Skate America to be held in Kent, Washington (Oct. 19-21)

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeing787 View Post
    with only 800 people showing up, why should it be a concern?

btw, the Canadian fans are saying Skate Canana should be renamed Skate Ontario.
    If that's the case, then Skate America will become Skate Pacific Coast... too close to sectionals hahaha.

Here is what the USFSA should do to revive interest in figure skating as a spectator sport in the United States. De-emphasize the ISU program -- American viewers don't care much about the Grand Prix, Four Continents or Worlds anyway -- and put their PR efforts into a three event season, starting with State America. Invite the top three U.S. skaters/teams in each discipline and forget about playing political games and trying to jockey their skaters into the GP final by the easiest route.

The second event -- a Christmas holiday type of pro-am cheesefest, like the Japan Open. Third event, the big show, U.S. Nationals -- who is the best skater in the country. Give a million dollar prize to the winner. (Get the million dollars from a huge television contract for this three event package. )

Then every four years there is the Olympics. But that can take care of itself PR-wise without the U.S. Skating Association leading the way.

Sports fans in the U.S. are parochial. The United States is the only country in the world that has no interest in the world cup in soccer. We are also the only country that calls it soccer. "It can't be much of a sport if we are no good at it." Mia Hamm was cool, but that was a long time ago.

This would not prevent skaters, coaches, and federation officials from taking intense interest in ISU competitions. The proposal is just for something to try to sell to television people and corporate sponsors.

Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
    Miki, Please come!
    Chris
    On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....
    (All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina were totally....uh...what was that term Clinton used? Plausable deniability? Yeah....that.....)
    Last edited by CoyoteChris; 05-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Just got my tickets.....they are very cheep for row #3. $125 plus "fees" I wasnt even going due to the cost of Worlds next year but since it is a short drive away from Spokane and the nearby hotels are cheep, I figured I might as well.....(BTW, they are using a sane ordering technique...you can pick your seat......thankfully.)
    Miki, Please come!
    Chris
    On NO! Yes, once again I am famous....look for me 23 seconds into the 30 second promotional video...there goes Davis and White...but who is that shadowy figure in the front row seat, next to the railing...indeed, the only front row seat in the section...the seat that all the skaters and coaches who come up from the underworld , past the railing, have to walk by....yes, its the old Coyote.....
    (All aligations that I tried to grab Alissa and Carolina were totally....uh...what was that term Clinton used? Plausable deniability? Yeah....that.....)
    How did you get tickets already? I thought the sale wasn't starting until tomorrow! (Saturday) at 10!

ETA: Presale!!! http://myemail.constantcontact.com/2...id=aU2nH-ajWm8
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 05-05-2012 at 12:06 AM.

aw man, I don't think I can swing another trip outside this year! Especially since I have Disney World next year to save up for... hmmmm... I gotta price this out.

skating philosopher
    Just bought my tickets! My husband let us splurge on the VIP tickets. So we're in row 2, near the judges! This is my first live skating event...so I'm pumped!

ETA: Now making my mental Skate America wish list....can't wait until May 21!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 05-05-2012 at 12:38 AM.

skating philosopher
    Some interesting tidbits from an article from The Seattle Times on the announcement: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...showare05.html

In 31 years of Skate America competition, the event's highest attendances have been achieved in the Pacific Northwest. Everett's Comcast Arena (2008), Spokane (2002) and Portland (2010) all drew more than 23,000 cumulative spectators.

ShoWare will offer a capacity of 3,940 for five ticketed sessions.

Agosto, a Chicago native living in Lacey, won five Skate America ice dancing titles with Belbin (2003-05, 2007 and 2009). Retired from competition (he now coaches and handles choreography assignments), Agosto said the Grand Prix follows only the Olympics and World Championships in terms of skating prestige.

It's kind of a Nation's Cup of skating," Agosto, 30, said. "It's a way for skaters to get more experience for the World Championships which follow."

Subsequent stops in the weekly series are slated for Canada, China, France, Russia and Japan. Top finishers qualify for the Grand Prix final in December in Sochi, Russia, site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

"You'll see a lot of the top skaters here, especially U.S. skaters," Agosto said. "U.S. Figure Skating really tries to bring all their top skaters to this event."
    By the way, Lacey is a suburb of Olympia, the state capital, which is about an hour away from Seattle.

Notes

• Two factors boosted the ShoWare Center's candidacy for hosting Skate America: favorable impressions conveyed by an ice show operation (Disson Skating) that presented "Pandora: Love on Ice" (with Kenny G and Gladys Knight) at ShoWare in January and its proximity to a hotel (in Sea-Tac) operated by Hilton, the event sponsor.

• Agosto said he thinks it will be a good space for skaters. "It's a perfectly sized venue for figure skating," he said. "Even looking up to the back row here I can see the eyes of people and they can see mine. That results in a tremendous transfer of energy to the skater. After that skating show here, that put this building on the radar of the skating community."

RT airfare, Anchorage to Seattle is 545... yikes...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I am very upset to hear about this. This is three years in a row that Skate America has been in the west coast. If the USFSA is trying to alienate us East Coasters they are really doing a great job. I hope that everyone that is able to attend has a great time.
    I had the same thought! Last year, both Skate America AND Nationals were in California; now this year's Skate America is again on the West Coast? It doesn't seem fair. I feel these events should be allocated more evenly around the country. I live in the Northeast and, honestly, I cannot remember the last time Skate America/Nationals were held here. Nationals was in Boston in 2001 or 2002, but that was 10 years ago now. And as to Skate America, it's been held in Springfield MA a couple times, but the last time was quite a while ago. Frustrating.

Got my tickets early cause I am a member of USFSA and we get a day's grace. But there are still lots of good seats available in this new arena.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...howare11m.html

I am so tempted... ugh! stupid airfare...

Chris - you said the hotels are cheap? I'm finding pretty expensive stuff in my skimming through the options online... help a girl out?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I am so tempted... ugh! stupid airfare...

Chris - you said the hotels are cheap? I'm finding pretty expensive stuff in my skimming through the options online... help a girl out?
    Toni, my recommendation is to go to priceline.com and do the "bid a price" thing. Ask for $50 and then target the SeaTac (airport) area. That's how I usually get cheap hotels in the area and SeaTac is fairly close to Kent.

Even w/o the bidding thing you can get some decent deals at SeaTac: http://bit.ly/JbXO0L

In order to do priceline I'd have to committ to the trip, I'm just budgetting it out to see if it's doable... the tickets forr all event are completely affordable... airfare not so much...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    In order to do priceline I'd have to committ to the trip, I'm just budgetting it out to see if it's doable... the tickets forr all event are completely affordable... airfare not so much...
    Ah. We I can assure you for that time of year, you should be able to get a SeaTac hotel for around $50. I've never paid much more than that. I hope it works out!

ok so what would my transportation options be from a SeaTac hotel to the Arena? I'm not renting a car as I don't do lower 48 city driving... open road, sure, not in big cities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast