Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zhang Hao has a new partner

It is likely all the effort for Sochi will revive Russian pairs as dominant. They have some wonderful pairs. I do not know about some province where tall skinny chinese women are grown, so to speak. So I have no opinion on the future of chinese pairs. It does seem with this great coach about to retire, there will be a dearth of 'inspiration.' It takes a great leader to do what this amazing coach accomplished in China.

They went as far as they could and it seems a good move. I personally don't see the new pairing as a great thing given his age and injuries. But, whatever. Luck to all.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 05-06-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Pang Cheng's dress really reminds me of Mao Asada' Bells of Moscow dress.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    If Sui grows substantially, Han will be replaced. Most Chinese skaters are from one Northeastern province with tall people. A small expressive Pairs girl is very valuable.

Things go in cycle. China may not be so dominant in Pairs now but young talents are rising in Singles and even in Dance. I am not so negatively astute as you, PTfan. I always leave room for pleasant surprises, wherever they may come from.
    I am not being negative, just pointing out a realistic view on things. Anyway who said it was negative, despite my names I far prefer the Russian pairs in general than the Chinese, and their routine to dominance is pairs is a good thing for the sport more than a bad one. I dont even really like Pang & Tong's skating that much, I just love their heart, courage, and underdog story mostly, but can still see the sloppiness typically of all the top Chinese pairs. Even the reverred and always gushed upon Shen & Zhou never had the polish and unision of the great Russian pairs, nor the technique on many elements.

Rinkside
    See a video of a throw 3s from the new pair. Wow, really good quality.

Custom Title
    Pairs skaters can't just be slapped together, and this is going to be a real rush job. In a country that does not have a lot of depth or history in producing pairs, this is going to be interesting. As well, the age difference between Zhang Hao and Peng Cheng is just enough to be creepy. Worth a watch, but more from a curiousity point of view than one of great expectation. (I hope it does pleasantly surprise though.)

Custom Title
    I wish Dan Zhang all the Best. I have watched them develop since 2000, although the "Offspring of Dragons" routine will be most remembered partly due to Torino 06 where they won the Olympic Silver.

But the best routine technically and artistically has to be their SP in 09 "On Wings of Song" just beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxGoETmXr4

Custom Title
    SF, thanks for the translations! This must have been difficult for everyone. After the closeness a pair has, and for all those years, it must be like leaving your family for another one. Like everyone else, I'll never forget her incredibly gutsy performance at the Olympics.

I went back and looked at her photos. Definitely she should go on the Beautiful list! I hope she enjoys her university studies and finds a great path forward.

As for the age difference between the new partners, I normally don't feel comfortable with that either, but two of my favorite couples were Klimova and Ponomarenko, the ice dancers, and Kovarikova and Novotny, the Czech pair skaters. There was a six-year difference between Marina and Sergei and a twelve-year difference between Radka and Rene. Sometimes it works out, and I'll hope for it here. Maybe the Chinese pairs are less refined than the Russians, but everyone is less refined than the Russians. They are to pairs skating what the Italians are to opera; they all but invented the discipline, and they are certainly the ones who grafted the ballet tradition to the sport aspect and excelled at both. But the Chinese pairs have such heart. They are, after all, in only their first generation as world-class skaters. And in that time, they've done better than the U.S. has in its entire span of pairs skaters. A pretty good record.

Custom Title
    This page in Baidu forum has a training video and some photos of the new pair.

New article

I don't have time to translate right now. May attempt later, unless someone else will do it. Please?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    This page in Baidu forum has a training video and some photos of the new pair.

New article

I don't have time to translate right now. May attempt later, unless someone else will do it. Please?
    woooooooooooow!the 3sth is so nice,I can hardly wait to see theirs new program!

Custom Title
    Zhangs part ways - The news in English.

Hao has been very kind and helpful to his young partner, taking care of her in daily life. I think their lifts and throws are going very well but there is a long way for Peng to go in her skating skills and team synergy does take time to jell. As Hao described, perfect teamwork is when his partner knows exactly what he's going to do with his single glance. 14 years of partnership is hard to match.

Yao Bin is going to personally pay for a new hair cut for Peng.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised at all if we dont see any Chinese pair on the podium for many many years to come. Pang & Tong are done IMO. I dont see Hao Zhang's career going anywhere substantial at this point, even if they pair him with Ekaterina Gordeeva. Sui & Han are already in trouble and if she grows anymore they are done. The Chinese era in pairs is definitely over. A return to the Russian era is gradually coming back, and when the Germans retire it will be back in full flow.
    Is this a crystal ball or a wish list. It's time to change the name, russianfan instead.

Custom Title
    Not to be mean but why won't Zhang move on as well. Many felt the Zhangs were pushing it to 2010 to compete. They got some world medals and the Olympic silver. I have to say that's a great career. And in a way they were darn lucky. I kind of think they should have been disqualified for such a long break in the long program. They weren't just a couple of minutes and the unfortunate fall while very sad was totally their doing - trying a jump probably too hard for them. It wasn't like either one of them slipped on a rut or piece of cellophane they chose to go for the big trick and it was a risk. Anyways, not to be mean I think they had th eir day; he should realize it and move on. I really sense some of these teams are trying for OGM ie the Germans and Pang and Tong. They still have reasonable chances to win but I personally find them rather blah now and not growing as skaters. the Germans are innovative and solid technicians - remind me of some russians from yester year. But I am tired with them. I'd like to see the Russians, Canadians or Japanese take over now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2