Thread: Why are the threads merged?

Custom Title

Why are the threads merged?

I am not clear on why the thread I started on the ISU new General Announcements On Grand Prix 2012 got merged with the Minimum TES Requirements for ISU Championships events because they are not about the same thing even though I picked out the Total Score requirements for GP events to discuss first. Even the minimum requirements are about different events and different requirements based on different scores. Putting my post as #38 there is out of place without the quoted content from the announcement because I was talking about a different subject/ISU document all together.

Did you go back and edit #38 after the merge?

Custom Title
    No. I did nothing after noticing the merge except for the question here. The original thread linked the announcement just issued by ISU concerning the GP this year. I quoted what immediately caught my eyes, which was the minimum requirements on the Total Scores and the exact B events skaters may acquire their scores from. I thought there would be discussions on other points from the announcement.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Hi Skatefiguring! I'll respond to you in PM.
    Last edited by blue dog; 07-09-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Custom Title
    Then the different announcement should remain linked so people will know what is being discussed. The last few posts which were moved there do not refer to the same ISU regulations referred to in the thread title nor relate to the posts above them. Different issues were discussed without the distinction being made or the reference document being identified since it was deleted by the Mod.

eta. I received your PM after this post. I understand your intention from the beginning but my concerns and questions remain.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Actually, not.

The top several threads from the Edge are linked as part of the front page of the newsletter. 3 on the same subject (ISU Congress) are two too many; if all made the top list, they would prevent 2 other worthy threads from wider circulation. But it's equally possible that with 3 threads, none would be in the top group, and a subject we think is important from the forum (again, ISU Congress) would miss the newsletter all together.

Either way, a bad outcome.

Moral: Think before starting multiple threads on the same subject.

Custom Title
    I checked the TES Score thread before starting my thread to make sure they were not the same thing. I can understand if the mods think they belong in the same broader subject and need to be merged, but then the thread title should be changed to reflect the broader range of discussion and the point of reference of the posts moved should not be deleted out.

I understand the mod's point of view but mine is still not understood. I am not upset about my thread disappearing and I don't believe I have a habit of starting multiple threads. The point is about the subject and reference document of the moved posts being removed and getting confused with the subject and reference document of the thread title. Since such reference is completely removed, let me make my point clear that my post and subsequent responses were about the Total Scores required for the GP events and their sources, NOT the TES scores required for championships events as stated in the thread title.

Then to clarify, we can rename the new thread TES requirements for GPs and ISU Championships.

Custom Title
    GP score requirements are not based on TES but on Total Scores from particular events. Quite different. That's why we need the newly issued ISU General Announcement as the reference. There are other subjects in this document as well.

Thank you for pointing that out, Skatefiguring. As they are both scoring matters, they will stay together.